The Ideas Thread

123457»

Comments

• IkchorIkchor Posts: 40Member ✭✭
    Stock market anyone?

I'm not 100% sure what you could populate it with.
    Maybe some NPC firms, some general commodities, and (maybe) even some player dynasties. Get an option to go public listing with your dynasty, which opens you up to investments from interested NPCs that you generate interest by doing some batch of daily repeatable quests to make them happy/interested in you/your product, maybe even some RP plots?

They give your dynasty money, ultimately to continue doing what you do (whatever that is). Factions can also launch bidding wars on dynasties they wanna have control over. The price gets dictated by several factors like activity level, members, type of dynasty you are(?), and how many of that type of dynasty there are.
    I forgot I was going to call myself Ike while in chargen, so now I'm Zarrach.
    PeirytysandrGrek
  • PeiryPeiry Posts: 6Member
    That is a really cool idea Ikchor! I would personally really enjoy watching what happens with stocks each day.
  • MarduMardu Posts: 10Member
    Need an economy for a stock market 
    Vegatysandr
  • VegaVega Posts: 56Member ✭✭✭
    Mardu said:
    Need an economy for a stock market 
    This would be amazing, I've been beating my head against the wall for ways to implement a good stock mark/shares system for our dynasty, and everything is super hard to do and very ah, arduous.
    Character: Vega
    Faction: Song Dominion
    Class: Engineer 

note: I am always up for RP, antagonistic or friendly. If she's being a bitch, it's because you're from Scatterhome or she's trying to meet a deadline and has nothing to do with whether I want to RP with you or not. Thanks in advance for the RP!

• tysandrtysandr Posts: 90Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 7
    Starcoin, the cryptocurrency of the Starmourn Sector.

Bloody fiat marks.
    vote ∘ Explore Nexus mods for Starmourn & Achaeandb for Nexus

• ZhulkarnZhulkarn Posts: 86Member ✭✭
    edited March 7
    tysandr said:
    Starcoin, the cryptocurrency of the Starmourn Sector.

Bloody fiat marks.
    We have Inka Imperials, a product of Inka Indomitable Industries, as an in-house currency based on proof of work depending on Ascendant Fleet performance. We assure everyone that behind every imperial there are lots of sweat, toil and destruction.

Maybe one day we should do an ICO* for the outside people!

*For those unitiated to mysteries of cryptocurrency: ICO - Initial Coin Offering is similar to a company selling shares to public except they sell their coins based on one concept, algorithm or something else entirely. Though since cryptocurrencies are the wild west of the investment world, these things are not properly regulated and it is advised to take extreme caution.
    VegaBobbMogarchetysandr
  • VaughnVaughn Posts: 34Member ✭✭
    edited March 8
    Why don't ship forge supplies draw directly from the market offerings? Seems like it should be a thing. Have it show the average market price and the max SF price.
    Also, simple starter quests like fulfill one market order, complete one incursion, tether one asteroid, with maybe some bonus Captaincy XP or bound credits.
    MinionQitorienSqueakums
  • MatlkaelMatlkael Posts: 293Member ✭✭✭
    There's been a lot of talk about the economy in Discord. To summarize:

Distributors may have a potential niche in the economy; that is, people who do not gather nor produce goods, but rather take them from station to station to sell for a small profit. SF automatically pulling from market orders will kill this niche.

There are a couple of actual problems from which all other problems in the economy stem:

1. Scarcity in a particular resource (titanium) bottleneck the whole economy from functioning.

You need titanium for paristeel and transteel, and you need those two to produce repairkits, all the batteries, all the missiles, tethers, scoops, and mines. And because titanium is halting the production of these goods, then the other resources they use up stockpile: magnaril, duramine, helium11, vandium, tritium, and diamene to name a few. And this leads to the next problem:

2. Resources in stockpile halt the generation of more resources in space.

In essence, all these chokepoints in the supply completely gut the economy from the start, and so all the demand is pushed to the shipforge. 

There are a handful of fixes that can tun this around:

1. Review the generation of resources, and base them on how much they're used to produce goods.

2. Remove the relation between stockpiled resources and resource generation. Don't worry too much about stockpiles: this is not Imperian nor Lusternia. Stockpiling here actually does cost something; you can't just put it in the commodity cache and call it a day.

3. Value the time of people, and either lessen production costs, or increase the SF supplies prices some more to allow for bigger profit margins. I think it's underestimated how time-consuming it is to go out into the vastness of space, find that single 'm' or puff of coloured cloud, and refine them into resources. Then comes refining, then actually producing them into usable goods, and then getting them to consumers.

Each step in production, ideally, will have a little bit of profit. Right now, you essentially need to have vertical integration because the profit margins are so small. And that limits how many players can actually participate in the economy. This is a shame, because the space economy is the unique draw of Starmourn in the IRE pack.
    itsa Mereas!
  • bairlochbairloch Posts: 373Member ✭✭✭
    SF should create its own market orders. SF has a minimum of 30 of Item A. If it dips below, a market order is automatically created. Player then fills the order by hauling it in to the SF station.
    tysandr
  • KerekKerek Posts: 8Member
    Has a drug tradeskill been suggested? I want to market some designer drugs.
  • WoodroWoodro Posts: 14Member
    Kerek said:
    Has a drug tradeskill been suggested? I want to market some designer drugs.
    I would like to see a drug market that actually has effects on things. Like a speed based drug that letsyou run 1 more room before you get the slow down message but, with a penalty to something else. Makes drugs more than just RP givve them a reason to exist.

SlanderKerekZhulkarn
  • ZhulkarnZhulkarn Posts: 86Member ✭✭
    edited March 12
    Eve Online had kind of a drug system with potential side effects to use of them. 

Example: https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Medical_boosters

I believe in Starmourn they could have similar varieties as well. Concentration enhancing drugs, stat enhancing drugs, combat stims etc. with a good withdrawal rate and side effects. And maybe the armada ships can shoot down ships carrying unsafe versions of them, could be a nice little excitement to smuggling.
  • gencaygekdhalkmofgencaygekdhalkmof Posts: 1Member
    edited March 22
    Is there a reason that changing race is currently limited to a one-time thing and no more? Races are almost purely cosmetic.
  • QitorienQitorien Posts: 361Member ✭✭✭
    Is there a reason that changing race is currently limited to a one-time thing and no more? Races are almost purely cosmetic.
    From everything that the dev team has said, races have no mechanical benefit, but are purely for roleplay reasons, for the very reason that people won't feel as much need to switch. They want to avoid people changing for the sake of consistent roleplay reasons from what I understand. There is a discussion: here.
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk
    gencaygekdhalkmofSlander
  • TiaseTiase Posts: 62Member
    STARCHART NEARBY 

This command lists the nearest dockable station and shows you the distance to it. I don't thing you should give this ability right off the bat, maybe at level two or three thereabouts. I enjoy fooling around with the ship system. It provides a sense of discovery and wonder.

One thing I don't love about flying a space ship, it the amount of time it takes to travel from point A to Point B. This would give new players a better sense of where they are in space. 
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 13Member
    Can the font color for https://www.starmourn.com/game-help/ be set to black? Having to highlight text to read it because it's white font on white background is a chore.
    Jassaet