Skip to content

The Ideas Thread

Comments

• I have a new, probably stupid, almost certainly controversial, idea.

The cosmpiercers are taken by zerg rush in a lot of cases (or at least they were), so you could make it so that people who die in the cosmpiercer are incapable of going further into it than the docking platform for a set period of time (say, 30 minutes) while their "genetic material" (corpse bits) are still on the station, gene locking them out of the doors. You could also make aggressive actions impossible on the docking platform, with the reasoning that the ship will airlock offenders.

This would leave you free to tune back the guards to where a small group of coordinated individuals could take one without clumping into groups of 15 and/or abusing wormholes, and keep Inter-faction conflicts on them from coalescing into never-ending clusterf**ks.

You could even do something similar for armadas, giving a 5 minute "hold" period for ships destroyed in the vicinity of a cosmpiercer while the insurance decides if they REALLY have to pay out to get you a new ship.

I haven't got extensive cosmpiercer knowledge, but maybe this is a good idea. If not, maybe it gives somebody else an actual good idea. Can't hurt, right? (Please don't eviscerate me)
  • I think anything that is made to discourage lowbie participation in any part of the game will be a bad idea. That said, it's good to start a conversation on how cosmpiercer conflict could be improved, and it's good that these opinions are voiced (even though I disagree with this particular one) 
  • Understandable, however lowbies (of which I am one) dying and being temporarily locked out of a cosmpiercer seems, to me, vastly preferable to "take two ships, fly one to cosmpiercer, connect them with wormhole and send never-ending stream of soldiers through" or "utilize heart start and its complete lack of cooldown time to infinitely raise your army from the dead", both of which seem more like bug abuse or an exploit than actually playing the game, and neither of which should feel or BE necessary.
  • Why does Fury not have the ability to SEEK anyone? I can walk on a path of fire directly to someone but I can’t actually see where they are. Guy gets 3 rooms from you and you’re blind. Not good.
  • I'm trying really hard to get over the fact there's no seek/farsee/etc but I can definitely see the pvp implications of just running a few rooms away and resetting the whole fight over and over because you can't find each other.
    Eukelade gives you a peck on the cheek.

• A way to remove bugs (listening devices) please.
  • Hire a Scoundrel to do it for you! Don't neuter subterfuge before it's even begun, please.
  • Shrik said:
    Hire a Scoundrel to do it for you! Don't neuter subterfuge before it's even begun, please.
    Agreed. It doesn't really make sense that you should be able to counteract something so easily that takes skill to learn how to do in the first place. 
  • oh don't worry, there'll be an artifact for it eventually. :/
  • @Tecton

Would it be possible to be credits, lessons and rankings(such as experience and explorers) into gmcp? I know some of these exists in other IRE games like Achaea.
  • Make the Engineer's HUD a wearable item. The description clearly indicates they should be.

The lenses of these sturdy goggles project a HUD overlay that is capable of outlining and displaying the schematics of the room. With a sturdy strap of real leather and cushioned frames surrounding each lens, they seem to be designed for long periods of wear. The lenses grow opaque and flickering to an observer when they are in use, and are of the sort often used by engineers.

• Engineer bots are super spammy. Any way we can add an ability for them to cloak their bots? Either way, could we maybe get Watch in SuitTech changed (or a mode added) so that if the engineer and their bots are together, only the engineer shows? There may be corner cases where they're all split up and catching an engi without their bots is great, but right now I'm getting ten lines every time an engineer moves near me, which makes Watch really annoying sometimes; I can only imagine how it looks near any kind of group.
  • Atalkez said:
    Why does Fury not have the ability to SEEK anyone? I can walk on a path of fire directly to someone but I can’t actually see where they are. Guy gets 3 rooms from you and you’re blind. Not good.
    Mechanics.
    Game balance.

Not everything that makes logical sense is beneficial for a videogame, and never is that truer than in a persistent online multiplayer world.
  • Can we get the combat flag thats available in prompt in GMCP, as well as marks for your sub accounts such as cargo.
  • If cosmpiercers are going to be completely rebuilt each time they change hands, could cosmpiercer rooms be excluded from exploration ranking? Thanks!
  • edited December 2018
    • WEAPONSLIST to readout stats of weapons (wielded and in inventory)
    • Show stats of weapons in MWP LIST (power and repair %)
    • Allow the COMPARISON ability to be used for mounted armor as well as in inventory
    • Directory of which stations have transfers available to where
    • WALK TO <npc/faction member/friend/nearest PTP>
    • Faction-specific titles (or some other way to see faction affiliation without honorsing everyone in the room)
    • Make server-side queueing work while hacking (i.e. infect on sync)
    • Hacking skill to replenish/regen GigaOps
    • Ability to see completed quests (like QUEST LOG COMPLETED in other games)
    • Ability to abandon quests
  • Atalkez said:
    Why does Fury not have the ability to SEEK anyone? I can walk on a path of fire directly to someone but I can’t actually see where they are. Guy gets 3 rooms from you and you’re blind. Not good.
    Mechanics.
    Game balance.

Not everything that makes logical sense is beneficial for a videogame, and never is that truer than in a persistent online multiplayer world.
    Yeah and this is a bad game mechanic. Veils were terrible in Achaea for this same reason. No reason that I can’t detect someone in the same area as me. There are even references to kith detection in other classes AB files, but there is no actual kith detection.
  • @Vielar not sure how it is for the other classes, but as beast, compare <armor in inventory> is comparing against the equipped armor of the same slot for me.
  • Oh awesome! I hadn't though to try it with just one argument. Thank you!
  • edited December 2018
    Been loving the customization you can do with your mindsim. I'd like to see the different styles expanded on. What I'd REALLY like to see is the ability to use to mindsim to set a reminder for a date. MINDSIM SET REMINDER <month/day> <message>. Think it'd be cool.
  • I've been expanding my mindsim stuff so is more integrated with my Beast abilities. Lets me know when abilites can be used again and stuff.
  • I know this is not typical of IRE games (and I'm thinking in a Blizzard mindset with this suggestion) but a healer class could be cool, for one of the future classes. Something oriented towards protecting, lowering damage received, healing damage taken, healing affs. Obviously one or two of the skillsets should still be offensive. 

It's pretty different, but Starmourn is changing a lot of the conventional ways of doing things and this one might be an interesting possibility.
  • edited December 2018
    Squeakums said:
    I know this is not typical of IRE games (and I'm thinking in a Blizzard mindset with this suggestion) but a healer class could be cool, for one of the future classes. Something oriented towards protecting, lowering damage received, healing damage taken, healing affs. Obviously one or two of the skillsets should still be offensive. 

It's pretty different, but Starmourn is changing a lot of the conventional ways of doing things and this one might be an interesting possibility.
    Please this. One of the things I love most about SM is how it is geared toward more of an MMORPG feel than any of IREs other MUDs. A healing/support class would be amazing, and the impact it would have on PvP would be interesting to say the least.

edit: As a side note though, Priests (at least in Achaea) are a healing class, just more based on healing afflictions than HP.
  • Atalkez said:
    Atalkez said:
    Mechanics.
    Game balance.

Yeah and this is a bad game mechanic. Veils were terrible in Achaea for this same reason. No reason that I can’t detect someone in the same area as me. There are even references to kith detection in other classes AB files, but there is no actual kith detection.
    Fulmination prolly has room for more skills considering it's at 27/27. I'd be disappointed if this is all we got.

I'd also trade firewalk for a bag of chips tbh. I can't imagine any scenario where it'd be remotely helpful. 
  • With Starmourn having three levels of elevation but those levels not being actually separate rooms, could elevation be implemented into gmcp? Whether a table of items in room (eg gmcp.Room.Info.Elevation.mid = { "thing1", "thing2", "person1"}) or just a personal elevation gmcp (eg gmcp.Char.Status.elevation = mid), this would be super useful for people trying to code stuff revolving around flying. Pretty please <3
  • Can last name / dynasty name not be shown in everything? It was quickly fixed to not show on QWHO, can we have that fix applied to other things?
    Yaran Ironbound drives his wrist-mounted blade deep into the body of a pack of small sharp-toothed reptiles.
    A pack of small sharp-toothed reptiles has been slain by Yaran Ironbound.

Example.
    Pretty please?

• I know this is probably reeeeeeally low priority and kind of a vanity request, but I wish there was a way to see who's handled your issue so you could say thank you to them personally.

Regardless, person who handled this issue: thanks! I was terrified!

-- Message #7 from (system) ---------------------------------------------------
    In regards to issue #701: I've moved your ship back to omni station - enjoy!
    ------------------------------------------------------------ 1/01/2019 23:16 --

"They are elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty."
    — Oscar Wilde

"I'll take care of it, Luke said. And because he said it instead of her, I knew he meant kill. That is what you have to do before you kill, I thought. You have to create an it, where none was before."
    — Margaret Atwood

• Kestrel said:
    I know this is probably reeeeeeally low priority and mind of a vanity request, but I wish there was a way to see who's handled your issue so you could say thank you to them personally.

I understand the sentiment, but admin anonymity is important here, to avoid any sense of bias or unfair judgement in handling issues. 
  • Quell said:
    Kestrel said:
    I know this is probably reeeeeeally low priority and mind of a vanity request, but I wish there was a way to see who's handled your issue so you could say thank you to them personally.

I understand the sentiment, but admin anonymity is important here, to avoid any sense of bias or unfair judgement in handling issues. 

Wouldn't it be the other way around...?