Skip to content

Sneak Preview: Ship Refits!

edited October 2018 in The Commsphere
Refitting a ship is the term for adding rooms to your ship, from galleys to holding cells to hydroponics stations and so on. This is Starmourn's version of player housing as found in IRE's other games. The rooms can be built in any configuration, starting with your ship's bridge. So you could have rooms directly off the bridge for convenience (especially if you're on a smaller ship), or you could build a catwalk with all your additional rooms connected to that, or make everyone walk through the head to get anywhere else, or whatever you want!

All ships have a certain room capacity based on their class. An interceptor class ship (like the one you get when you start the game) has a room capacity of 2 - the bridge uses one of these slots, so without a mod, you can only add one additional room. A ship in the heavy freighter class, on the other hand, has a room capacity of 14. 

The capacity can be raised with a ship mod, though of course smaller ships are also very limited in how many mods they can have. You're not going to be able to load 20 rooms onto your starter ship. :) The cost of building a new, larger ship from scratch is not astronomical, though, and ships can also be bought/sold between players.

Some of what you'll see in the game:

LOOK
The bridge of a travel-seasoned starship.
The interior of this starship has a distinctly well-worn appearance, every piece of equipment battered from use, but still cared for and clean. The bulkheads are dinged and dented from passage through asteroid fields, but have no structural breaches. Edges of consoles and sensors are rounded and shiny from years of forearms leaning against them. Clattering underfoot are corrugated metal floor panels, the hollow reverberations suggesting there may be compartments beneath them. The bridge spreads out here in an array of blinking lights and navigational computers, and rad-shielded formglass windows set into the ship's blunted nose look out into space. Installed in a nearby bulkhead is a large control panel. A plain, cushioned bucket seat has been bolted to the floor. A small row of viewscreens flicker on the bridge of the vessel.
There are no obvious exits.

SHIP REFIT
Refit Info
----------
SHIP REFIT STATUS                       Show status of the ship's refit.
SHIP REFIT ROOMS                        List all rooms in the refit.
SHIP REFIT OPTIONS <ROOM|DOOR>          List options for doors and room types.

Building
--------
SHIP REFIT BUILD <roomtype> <dir> [mod] Build a new room.
SHIP REFIT BUILD EXIT <dir> <room#>     Add an exit between rooms.
SHIP REFIT BUILD DOOR <dir> [type]      Build a door.
SHIP REFIT REDESCRIBE ROOM              Redescribe the current room.

Destruction
-----------
SHIP REFIT DESTROY ROOM <dir>           Destroy a room.
SHIP REFIT DESTROY DOOR <dir>           Destroy a door.
SHIP REFIT DESTROY EXIT <dir>           Destroy an exit.

SHIP REFIT STATUS
-- Refit status for The Starskipper -------------------------------------------
Can refit here:         Yes
Room capacity:          1 / 2

Rooms:
  The bridge of a travel-seasoned starship
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SHIP REFIT OPTIONS ROOM
The following room options are available:
airlock, armory, avionics, barracks, brig, captainscabin, cargobay, catwalk, commandcenter, commonroom, communications, crewquarters, engineering, engineroom, escapepod, galley, gunnerstation, gym, head, holdingcell, hydroponics, labs, lifesupport, lounge, lowerdeck, maindeck, medbay, messhall, navigation, observation, recroom, showers, stateroom, upperdeck, utilityroom, weaponslocker, and workroom.

(when you build these rooms they will have a set room title, like "The bridge of a travel-seasoned starship" above, but then you can write your own paragraph for the room description)

SHIP REFIT OPTIONS DOOR
The following door options are available:
airlock, blast, double, down-swinging, energy, gate, in-swinging, iris, out-swinging, sliding, and up-swinging.

(these all have different messages for how they are opened)

Comments

• Will these refits be paid for in marks or credits? Or will it follow the new Achaean model of frustration commodities?
    Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.
  • edited October 2018
    We get escape pods? Are they the purely aesthetic, welded-in kind, or can I go joyriding away from my exploding wreck in one?

Also, are all of those door types airtight? Is air leaking out even a thing?
  • edited October 2018
    Escape pods are for quitters. We don't like quitters.

(Those are just thematic.)
  • Is that true for all the room types, not counting the bridge?
  • Malash said:
    Is that true for all the room types, not counting the bridge?
    Yes, they are thematic
  • They do generate props like other rooms in the game, but you can turn that off on a room-by-room basis. But a galley doesn't enable/isn't required for cooking or anything like that.
  • They generate props?? :):):)
    Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.
  • edited October 2018
    Tecton said:
    Yes, they are thematic
    So we can't accidentally turn our tutorial ships into fancy metal space coffins by forgetting to SHIP REFIT BUILD LIFESUPPORT? :pleased:
  • Sadly, no.
  • Can we do that by failing to install an engine?
  • Are ships the only available housing option? Not that I complain, it sounds awesome! I was just dreaming of a monastery on a distant world =) I can absolutely imagine having a monastery-ship (Warhammer 40k style!), I'm just curious about the options.
    Starmourn Launch Countdown:
    https://countingdownto.com/?c=2341194
  • At launch, it's the only option.
  • Will the starter ship come with a room already installed?
  • Just the bridge (the example in OP is the starter ship).
  • Hrm....I know it's been said that we can have multiple ships at ongoing cost. What happens if the ongoing cost isn't paid? If it just prevents takeoffs, I could see it as potentially viable to build a houseship that is never truly meant to fly, and remains perpetually docked and unpaid for other than construction costs.
  • edited October 2018
    You can have multiple ships, but there's no ongoing maintenance/docking costs associated with them at this point in time.
  • Really? Well then, let my quest to collect one of every model commence.
  • I'd like to add NPCs to my ship. Elsewhere in IRE this would be expensive as it would require paying for your time to custom build the NPCs, and you guys rightfully need to charge for progging time, but I'm wondering if there could be (not at launch, but further down the track) generic NPCs and NPC roles (XO, cook, security, gunner, etc) available?

People will obviously want to customise them still, and that part would cost in credits, but generic NPC crewmembers would be an ingame cost only, for flavour only (i.e. without mechanical benefits - at least for pvp).

I ask because despite the discussions people have had about players banding together to RP as a crew, it isn't feasible unless it's a close group of friends all playing at the same time, to a schedule. Yet I (and I'm guessing I am not alone) would still like our ships to feel a bit less empty.

• edited October 2018
    Will all ships of the same class have the same number of rooms before adding mods?  For example, are all Interceptor-class ships going to have two rooms, or is the newbie ship unusually small to encourage players to trade up as quickly as possible?

Will there be any mechanical variation among ships based on their manufacturer? I could swear there was a blog or forum post about this somewhere, but I can't seem to find it now.
  • Is there a estimate at all on how long it would take for players to get their second ship? Like should the starter one last us a few weeks/months or is it something that we'd likely be replacing once we're past the "novice" stage.

Oh, and are more room types possible? Thinking of some kinda library/study/office type room heh.
  • Oryx said:
    At launch, it's the only option.
    A behemoth monastery-supercruiser it is then!
    Starmourn Launch Countdown:
    https://countingdownto.com/?c=2341194
  • Will all ships of the same class have the same number of rooms before adding mods?  For example, are all Interceptor-class ships going to have two rooms, or is the newbie ship unusually small to encourage players to trade up as quickly as possible?

Will there be any mechanical variation among ships based on their manufacturer? I could swear there was a blog or forum post about this somewhere, but I can't seem to find it now.
    They're all pretty close in terms of capability within the same class. There might be minor fluctuations between manufacturers.

And yes, there's variation in the same class!
  • Sairys said:
    Is there a estimate at all on how long it would take for players to get their second ship? Like should the starter one last us a few weeks/months or is it something that we'd likely be replacing once we're past the "novice" stage.

Oh, and are more room types possible? Thinking of some kinda library/study/office type room heh.
    No real estimates, depends on the player - some people might be fine with an interceptor!

And definitely more rooms are possible, but not before launch!
  • This. Looks. AWESOME!
    is there any mechanical difference for the door types? Are some more inherently secure/lockable than others?
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk
  • Qitorien said:
    This. Looks. AWESOME!
    is there any mechanical difference for the door types? Are some more inherently secure/lockable than others?
    Mostly just flavor with the messages on how they open. 
  • Is explosive decompression a potential risk? Should we install as many doors as possible to seal off compartments?