Skip to content

Q+A Madness - Jan/Feb 2019

Comments

• In The Old Republic MMO, there are apartment building kind of locations where you can get instanced player housing. Any chance of anything like that here happening too? Where there is a single physical location in the world, but then you just KEY PTP 417 or whatever your instanced room number is to take you to your home.

Maybe that's implied with the colonization thing you mentioned, but it sounds different enough to me that I figured I'd ask. 
  • Based on the Shen picture on the wiki, female Shen do not seem to have hair due to the mottling patterns on those 6 long tube things. However, when I checked out the NPC descs, "six braids" were used to describe those tube things. Is it hair with wild colouring or is it longer tentacles?

• edited January 2019

I'm massively disappointed with how Scoundrels have turned out and thinking of changing class.

As a non-combatant, I don't care too much about how many bullets I can shoot per minute, but I picked the class mainly for flavour. I wanted to be a dirty bastard who don't care 'bout no rules and don't care 'bout no laws. Yet currently Scoundrels don't feel very ... scoundrel-y? There is very little in the way of dashing, debonair pirate functionality. Nanoseers make better spies and better sneaks. Scoundrels kinda just shoot shit.

Are there plans to change this, or is this the intended theme of Scoundrels? Are we supposed to be rogue-equivalents, or more like rangers with guns for bows? Any insight you could share on your vision for Scoundrels would be much appreciated.

Specifically, for example, is it intended that Nanoseer invisibility is so many miles beyond the Scoundrel's generic conceal? (Which is identical to the widely available slink ...)

"They are elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty."
    — Oscar Wilde

"I'll take care of it, Luke said. And because he said it instead of her, I knew he meant kill. That is what you have to do before you kill, I thought. You have to create an it, where none was before."
    — Margaret Atwood

• Kirin said:
    Any plans to have modding provide interim rewards rather than the current >1 YR RL waiting period before anyone can make any mods?
    Yep, I've mentioned some changes a couple of times in this thread now.
  • Soza said:
    is there a possibility for clothing/food/jewelery creators to be able to list their clothing/food/jewelery in a public place for people to sift through and possibly even buy? Even if it were just a list and they still had to contact the player to have it made would be cool.
    I'd like to, yes! Something we can look at down the line when the bigger projects/fixes are done.
  • Squeakums said:
    In The Old Republic MMO, there are apartment building kind of locations where you can get instanced player housing. Any chance of anything like that here happening too? Where there is a single physical location in the world, but then you just KEY PTP 417 or whatever your instanced room number is to take you to your home.

Maybe that's implied with the colonization thing you mentioned, but it sounds different enough to me that I figured I'd ask. 
    We'll do things a bit better than this!
  • For the designers here, can we get a clarification on the differences between some materials? Such as, duraleather vs polyleather, and syncloth vs duracloth vs polyfiber. The wiki doesn't make much of a differentiation between them (except to say polyfiber is "flowing" and more expensive), so it's tough to know which to go for when you're trying to create something.
  • This is gonna be kind of flow-of-consciousness ship stuff.

What sort of new equipment do you have in mind for ships? Ignoring the fitting issues, it's pretty barren.

Are npc ships going to respect cone of fire (CoF)? It's a little blah that getting behind them doesn't help.

Will there be weapons with varying CoFs? Eg 'rearcannon' or 'rearblaster' or 'sidecannon'.
    Can we maybe set the cones?
    How about customizable cone display?

Can skipdrives be made to allow non-forward movement without changing orientation/speed? I know someone made a suggestion somewhere about upping the range, which I don't hate either (maybe 2 different modules?).
    I also dislike that you can't even use them til late (you need the overload skill yeah?). Even a basic usage early would be nice.

Can ship exteriors be customized? Something that'd be able to be displayed at the dock or if a ship is in starmap range or in a little readout inside the ship (not my idea but I liked it).

Will there be spaceboss fights? I want to take a fleet out to surround a monster leviathan doing AoE gravity attacks and warping around the area and etc.

• Based on the Shen picture on the wiki, female Shen do not seem to have hair due to the mottling patterns on those 6 long tube things. However, when I checked out the NPC descs, "six braids" were used to describe those tube things. Is it hair with wild colouring or is it longer tentacles?
    @Tecton I think this question maybe got missed? I'm really curious as to the answer too! Are Shen meant to have hair? 

"They are elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty."
    — Oscar Wilde

"I'll take care of it, Luke said. And because he said it instead of her, I knew he meant kill. That is what you have to do before you kill, I thought. You have to create an it, where none was before."
    — Margaret Atwood

• Will there be the capability for Factions, Dynasties, and maybe even Clans to OWN an org ship in the future? Or will we be getting something else in its place. I personally think, that with how many neat room refits there are, it would be a great org location, but it would be hard to do so since if it doesn't belong to the org, it is way to easy to run off with.

Thanks in advance!
    Character: Vega
    Faction: Song Dominion
    Class: Engineer 

note: I am always up for RP, antagonistic or friendly. If she's being a bitch, it's because you're from Scatterhome or she's trying to meet a deadline and has nothing to do with whether I want to RP with you or not. Thanks in advance for the RP!

• Oh, that reminds me. Is there any chance or possibility we could get the ability to optionally give people powers to say, steer, fire weapons, or operate other modules in our ships? Essentially crew perms. People who want to do it all by themselves could, and people who want to rp being crew in a ship could do that as well.
  • It's hard to know the state of engineer pvp without EM damage numbers being tweaked first.

Is there a chance the EM numbers could be tweaked at least a few days before the class leads/reports thing is opened up?
  • I guess I'll toss a weird one out - were there any plans to replace the Jin racial art?
  • Is the Jin deatheye an actual blinking eye (please no)?
  • Eshe said:
    Is the Jin deatheye an actual blinking eye (please no)?
    I took it as no, and that's how I wrote my description. But other's have clearly taken it the other way.
    [Cassandra]: Poet will be unsurprised to learn that she has unread news.
  • Can we check on ABs even for skills we don't have? 
    Mereas Eyrlock
    "They're excited, but poor."
    - Ilyos (August 2019)
  • @Tecton aside from flavor, what do you think Starmourn offers that other IRE games do not? What are some of the things that you are most proud of about Starmourn? What are you excited about in the future of Starmourn? Which is your favorite Star Trek series and episode of Futurama? Who do you think is the better kisser, Jar-Jar Binks or Jabba the Hutt?
  • edited February 2019
    Is it intended for cosmpiercers to count for exploration when they reset rooms explored every IG month?  this is fixed now!
    Is there any truth to the rumor that cosmpiercers and hacking share the same rooms and therefore hacking also counts for exploration?
    Is there a secret way to open up new mark subaccounts?
    wandering star punk

• Zack said:
    Is it intended for cosmpiercers to count for exploration when they reset rooms explored every IG month?
    Is there any truth to the rumor that cosmpiercers and hacking share the same rooms and therefore hacking also counts for exploration?
    Oops. Fixed.
  • Garryn said:
    Zack said:
    Is it intended for cosmpiercers to count for exploration when they reset rooms explored every IG month?
    Oops. Fixed.
    Fixed that they don't count anymore or that they don't reset once you explored them but still count towards rankings? :D
  • Desmond said:
    Garryn said:
    Zack said:
    Oops. Fixed.
    Fixed that they don't count anymore or that they don't reset once you explored them but still count towards rankings? :D
    They don't count towards rankings.
  • Just as a heads-up, I'm in transit for the next 48 hours or so, I'll be back to answer the questions that are outstanding then!
  • Indi said:
    Is there a chance the EM numbers could be tweaked at least a few days before the class leads/reports thing is opened up?
    Yep.
  • Oh no, Tecton is leaving us without any adult supervision for a full 48 hours. I all of a sudden don't know what to do. 
    (Scatterhome): Cal says, "We're called Scatterhome after what everybody does at the end of the night when it's time for someone to pay the bar tab."
    (Scatterhome): You say, "Which by my calculations, it's your turn to pay."
    (Scatterhome): Brantar says, "That's what my calculations have come to."
    (Scatterhome): Paavo says, "My math adds up to that, yeah."
    (Scatterhome): Cal says, "Bastards."
  • Rkansas said:
    Oh no, Tecton is leaving us without any adult supervision for a full 48 hours. I all of a sudden don't know what to do. 
    Burn this mother down!
  • Any word on how customization options might be expanded? If I want to go full cyberpunk and dye my hair orange or blue, it's not one of the listed options. It feels a bit off to select Black but then in the description go "but his hair is actually dyed green."

This is super minor and mostly inconsequential, I know. 

• 1) How was/is The Sync time decided from an IC perspective? Was it just something that all have to just accept as part of the ToS of having a mindsim, or is there a fixed point in space that it is based off of similar to how our timezones are all based off GMT (where is space Greenwich)? Relevant Tangent: wonder what other terrifying things are in a mindsim ToS, what data are They harvesting collecting :open_mouth: (also, watching some people panic/express alarm in some way as they saw the sync message for the first time thinking it was some kind of event was slightly funny).

2) Down the road and once the dust has settled further, could jewelry be reworked to 'Accessories', thus expanding the suite of gaudy decorations and cosmetic items further beyond the realm of body piercings and overpriced precious metal-based adornments? Like oversized and overpriced headphones and other miscellaneous tech like that?

Forgive my snark in the second one, I don't get out much and I think I'm hilarious.

I forgot I was going to call myself Ike while in chargen, so now I'm Zarrach.
  • edited February 2019
    I have nothing to do right now, so here's yet another question (sorry!)
    Is there any chance we will at least be given some more control over the titles of our ship refit rooms? I am asking particularly because if you create a crewsquarter room it comes out as 'An orderly crew quarters,' which is fine and all if you wanted an orderly room, but a little unfortunate otherwise.
  • Another Scoundrel idea that I was wondering would be at least thought about.

A way to record bug information gathered through bugs onto the datashards with some authenticator on it so we can sell information to others that we have gathered without needing an OOC way to authenticate the information. 

Like maybe the moment we tune in it will start a record file that we can later go through and divide it up into smaller parts, delete that parts which we don't need and keep the parts we wish to sell. Not alter anything or add, just be able to select a portion to save to a new file and if we so wish, delete the old file. 
    (Scatterhome): Cal says, "We're called Scatterhome after what everybody does at the end of the night when it's time for someone to pay the bar tab."
    (Scatterhome): You say, "Which by my calculations, it's your turn to pay."
    (Scatterhome): Brantar says, "That's what my calculations have come to."
    (Scatterhome): Paavo says, "My math adds up to that, yeah."
    (Scatterhome): Cal says, "Bastards."
This discussion has been closed.