Skip to content

Target Dummy

edited January 2019 in Feedback
The target dummy is a bit too flimsy to be useful. I normally am able to kill the dummy in 4 hits, which is not really giving me enough time to try out any sort of combat combos. Would it be possible to massively increase its durability? I personally believe it should take a massive amount of effort to destroy the dummy. That would allow not just one person to practice on it, but small groups of players to work on their combat coordination.

To keep them from sticking around for too long if the change is made, perhaps have them despawn after 15 minutes.

Comments

• Oh, there's a new feature of them TELL DUMMY KEEPALIVE to keep it's health up, and TELL DUMMY DIE to let it die. I'll get these added to the artifact info.
  • Tecton said:
    Oh, there's a new feature of them TELL DUMMY KEEPALIVE to keep it's health up, and TELL DUMMY DIE to let it die. I'll get these added to the artifact info.
    That is great! Thank you.
  • Conducted some tests and discovered that the TELL DUMMY KEEPALIVE command has increased the targeting dummy's durability, but the increase is not enough in my opinion. It still dies pretty easily to a few attacks. Instead of taking 4 balances to kill it, it now takes 5 to 8, depending on types of attacks.

• Uachet said:
    Conducted some tests and discovered that the TELL DUMMY KEEPALIVE command has increased the targeting dummy's durability, but the increase is not enough in my opinion. It still dies pretty easily to a few attacks. Instead of taking 4 balances to kill it, it now takes 5 to 8, depending on types of attacks.

It should heal up any time it's damaged below about 15 - 20% - maybe your attacks are doing more than 20% per hit, so it's going from 25 -> 0 and bypassing the threshold.
  • Tecton said:
    Uachet said:
    Conducted some tests and discovered that the TELL DUMMY KEEPALIVE command has increased the targeting dummy's durability, but the increase is not enough in my opinion. It still dies pretty easily to a few attacks. Instead of taking 4 balances to kill it, it now takes 5 to 8, depending on types of attacks.

It should heal up any time it's damaged below about 15 - 20% - maybe your attacks are doing more than 20% per hit, so it's going from 25 -> 0 and bypassing the threshold.
    Here is a copy of what my attacks were to kill it in 5 rounds:

You tell a target dummy, "Keepalive."
    Health: 1920/1920 PL: high [BW-] bash
    suit backhand dummy
    You: Suit Backhand -> a target dummy.
    You overdrive your suit's movement circuits, delivering a vicious backhanded blow to a target
    dummy's head.
    Damage Dealt: 136 impact
    Balance used: 3.50s.
    Health: 1920/1920 PL: high [-WC] mwp wristblade dummy
    [Queue]: You will attempt to do MWP WRISTBLADE DUMMY when you recover balance.
    Health: 1920/1920 PL: high [-WC]
    You have recovered your balance.
    You: MWP Wristblade -> a target dummy.
    With servo-assisted might, you drive your wristblade into the body of a target dummy.
    The blade strikes a target dummy particularly hard.
    Damage Dealt: 232 impact
    Balance used: 3.00s.
    With servo-assisted might, you drive your wristblade into the body of a target dummy.
    Damage Dealt: 286 impact
    Damage Dealt: 229 impact
    Damage Dealt: 244 impact
    Damage Dealt: 241 impact
    The exhilharation of victory rushes over you, suffusing your limbs with energy.
    You have slain a target dummy.
    Balance used: 2.70s.
  • I would absolutely invest if dummies had wetwiring, informed you of ww ticks/ww balance, and you could specify TELL DUMMY WW STATUS/ REGENERATE/MEND/PRIORITIES.

Hi, I'm Ata. Oh and maybe some other people, too. o:) Check out my various packages for Nexus: Vuu combat system, Global Pathfinder, Slicer Tools, Ship compass, JS from command line, Vitals Tracker, and Equipment Manager.
  • There was a training dummy in the sentaari guildhall in Aetolia, when they were in Ashtan, and you could tell it to attack you back, specifying exactly which tekura combos to use.
  • Updated this to refresh its health a bit higher now! I'm sure we'll add some more functionality down the line too, @RocketCat

• Tecton said:
    Updated this to refresh its health a bit higher now! I'm sure we'll add some more functionality down the line too, @RocketCat

Is there a reason why the base health of the dummy can not be significantly increased? Even with this new change it only lasts one more round, as demonstrated below:

Health: 1920/1920 PL: medium [BW-] bh
    suit backhand dummy
    You overdrive your suit's movement circuits, delivering a vicious backhanded blow to a target
    dummy's head.
    Damage Dealt: 164 impact
    Health: 1920/1920 PL: medium [-WC] mwp wristblade dummy
    Health: 1920/1920 PL: medium [-WC]
    Damage Dealt: 244 impact
    Damage Dealt: 237 impact
    Damage Dealt: 227 impact
    Damage Dealt: 249 impact
    Damage Dealt: 273 impact
    Balance used: 2.70s.

I don't feel that there needs to be a rush on this, but I would like the dummy to be useful once that extra functionality is added down the line. It dying without any real effort on my part makes it pretty much a 500 credit novelty for me.
  • Looks like you sent your tell to the wrong dummy - you'll get a message when it's activated/deactivated/when it heals itself.

• Tecton said:
    Looks like you sent your tell to the wrong dummy - you'll get a message when it's activated/deactivated/when it heals itself.

You are absolutely correct. I had to use the exact dummy item number to make sure the tell went to them. Even with that correction, the dummy lasted 5 rounds using the same attacks as before as displayed below:

A light on the chest of a target dummy glows green, indicating the keepalive mechanism has been
    enabled.
    Health: 1920/1920 PL: medium [BW-] bash
    t dummy
    settarget dummy
    Your target is now: Dummy (a mob)
    Health: 1920/1920 PL: medium [BW-] bh
    suit backhand dummy
    dummy's head.
    Damage Dealt: 155 impact
    Damage Dealt: 270 impact
    Damage Dealt: 259 impact
    Damage Dealt: 235 impact
    Damage Dealt: 234 impact
    Damage Dealt: 233 impact

I did test the change with various attacks that are not as damage efficient as the previous test, and what I noticed is the dummy lasted about twice as long (from 8 to 15 rounds) now.