Skip to content

Level 50 Hunting Normal or Hard?

Is it just me or does it seem that the level 50 bashing AREAS feel much harder than the other areas? I know a few where hard, but usually if I looked around, at least one of the areas was decent. But level 50-60 areas only have 2 and they both are full of aggro mobs and some of them are stronger then I am. I mean, I have a hard time with just one of the mobs that are my size, but then I get swamped by at least one aggro mob either my size or bigger any time I start attacking a mob in any location. I sometimes can get lucky to kill those in one location before an aggro mob shows up. I am a Scoundrel, not sure it's Scoundrels that feel that it's really harder then it feels it should be, or if it's everyone. It might just be me. I don't have very high skills yet. My main attack is to ambush --> rapidfire --> crackshot --> fling ripper and use just regular ammo. I only have up to forcefeed in Improvisation, bind in Guile and eject in Gunslinging. I know i keep getting told that skill levels don't really matter, but I have to disagree. Once I got fling it was amazing and then I got rapidfire and it help me a LOT. 
(Scatterhome): Cal says, "We're called Scatterhome after what everybody does at the end of the night when it's time for someone to pay the bar tab."
(Scatterhome): You say, "Which by my calculations, it's your turn to pay."
(Scatterhome): Brantar says, "That's what my calculations have come to."
(Scatterhome): Paavo says, "My math adds up to that, yeah."
(Scatterhome): Cal says, "Bastards."

Comments

• Jetpack is your friend. Take a look around nearby rooms before you start fighting. See aggressive mobs? Watch your back or go kill them first. Also trigger the cania howl so it gives you a warning to interrupt or whatever.
    When folks say skill levels don't matter they mean that trans rank doesn't increase damage unlike other IRE games coughachaeacough. You still want rapidfire.
  • Yeah, I love Jetpack, someone was really great and gave me some credits so i could get the lessons to go learn the ability to use jetpacks. I have used them ever since. I didn't know that cania had a windup attack, I didn't notice that. I am glad you pointed that out. I also guess I will have to stop using my bashing script for those areas. It just doesn't pay off to well. 

I have dyslexia and glancing into another room doesn't do much for me, not If I don't want to spend a few minutes reading the description while my adrenaline is high which makes it even harder to read the description enough to see what are mobs, what are items. The text blends together for me when my adrenaline is going lol. It's just faster to go there and crash out or fly if I have too.
    (Scatterhome): Cal says, "We're called Scatterhome after what everybody does at the end of the night when it's time for someone to pay the bar tab."
  • Config color (WTF? shouldn't it be colour, I thought we're using british spelling in this game), change the mob colour to something bright and immediately noticeable. Also turn room descriptions off.
  • haha yeah the spelling change has thrown me off. I mean, I am from the US, but I have played a lot of IRE games and other MUDs that use the same spelling and now this one doesn't lol.

I didn't know you could change the color of mobs. I will go check all that out now. Thanks
  • Rest easy with the knowledge that 50-60 bashing is harder than 60-70.

Another handy trick is to take the .+ moves in to attack you message and make it play a warning sound! That way you'll be alerted to those pesky wandering aggro mobs.
    Hi, I'm Ata. Oh and maybe some other people, too. o:) Check out my various packages for Nexus: Vuu combat system, Global Pathfinder, Slicer Tools, Ship compass, JS from command line, Vitals Tracker, and Equipment Manager.
  • thanks, good idea
  • RocketCat said:
    Rest easy with the knowledge that 50-60 bashing is harder than 60-70.

Another handy trick is to take the .+ moves in to attack you message and make it play a warning sound! That way you'll be alerted to those pesky wandering aggro mobs.
    or spammed by the sounds of schwarzenegger screaming GET DOWN over and over and over again as the bug of them spamming "moves in to attack you" persists :D

• haha, I have been thinking of adding sounds to certain things, but idk, it would start annoying me pretty fast and I also like to listen to music while I play SM and having some sound get spammed in the background would annoy me to no end.
  • Use weakening ammo.
  • So was anything changed in the last week to make the 50-60 experience less painful?  Any feedback from players who are hunting in that bracket?  I'm just about to hit those areas.
  • Secos said:
    So was anything changed in the last week to make the 50-60 experience less painful?  Any feedback from players who are hunting in that bracket?  I'm just about to hit those areas.
    Nope.

"They are elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty."
    — Oscar Wilde

"I'll take care of it, Luke said. And because he said it instead of her, I knew he meant kill. That is what you have to do before you kill, I thought. You have to create an it, where none was before."
    — Margaret Atwood

• I haven't been back to those areas. I did try the level 50 quest area and it seems to have gotten better, I just can't defeat the two rooms that have groups of two solders, one has a solder and a test tube and I just can't get past it once they hit their big attack, no windup and hit for almost 2k damage.
  • The level 50 quest area is pretty wild for sure, especially against those soldiers (unless a windup cue has been added). I've been hunting in Anemoi and I like that it's not entirely brainless hunting (though I am annoyed when I escape and those roaming monsters follow after me)
    wandering star punk

• Nykara said:
    RocketCat said:
    Rest easy with the knowledge that 50-60 bashing is harder than 60-70.

or spammed by the sounds of schwarzenegger screaming GET DOWN over and over and over again as the bug of them spamming "moves in to attack you" persists :D

I turn sound off so I use a text echo, but I'm totally modifying this advice to change the text from "NEW AGGRO" to "GET TO THE HOVERBOARD!!!"
    Character: Edon
    Race: Elgan
    Class: Engineer
  • Anemoi is utterly fucked. I went so far into HETE debt I went back to Delta Deck just to make marks and still had to borrow from a friend before my weapon broke. This is 90% of why I'm not as engaged in the game as I was - if I just sit on my ship I don't lose anything but 50-60 hunting is a net loss on marks.
    I'm gone.
  • I have been bashing at Delta deck lately. About to hit level 54, but it's slow going. Though I am making marks and not losing them so there is that. I was told that the carna or whatever they are called has a windup attack, though I thought they did I have yet to pin down what the message is that I need to interrupt on. And to trigger FLY when one of the aggro mobs comes in. I have not done any of these yet, I am going to hit level 55 before going back over there and seeing if I can figure it out.
  • My problem is that even with the canias' windup triggered, given that we can only queue on action, my normal attack sometimes queues a split second after my interrupt and I get killed. Same thing with triggering flight.
    I'm gone.
  • If you're manually bashing Amenoi, you should have no problems as long as you highlight. Fly on aggro message if you're already fighting, interrupt if you see a windup. If you're autobashing it, then your script needs to be better (which I don't think the admin are sympathetic to).

The only issue I had after I opted to fly on aggro, was that if there was a room with, say, two cania's in it, and one was rabid, I'd have to IH, then look for the id number of the mob, then type that out, which was annoying. There's also areas where inexplicably, SOME of the mobs of a specific type are aggro and others are not, and you almost have to guess, or record id numbers, to know which one is right to target.
  • Yeah, that is my issue @Thessia . I tried going in to manual bash it the other day and ran into a problem with not knowing which to hit. I ended up attacking a non aggro mob and ended up with two attacking me at once, I died before I realized my mistake. Now I did realize on Mudlet that you can basically do what you can on Nexus and just use their IG targeting system. Like ST <target> and then have your alias just send("Gun Crackshot") and it will hit whatever your IG target is. I have a way to toggle through Mobs using a keybind on Mudlet, so I might be able to pull something off with using that, but I haven't tested it yet.
  • edited January 2019
    That's really the only problem I have with it that I also think the admin would be willing to change. Manually bashing the area is easy EXCEPT for the targeting issue. Changing some of the names or adding tokens so you can do 'target rabid' or 'target carnivorous' or automatically prioritizing aggressive mobs when setting a target would go a long way to making things easier and 'better'.
  • Well, I just tested my target system in Delta deck and it worked okay, once I hit level 55 I will head back over there and see how it works with aggro mobs. I will have to do it manually, but if I can use my toggle to target the correct mob, without needing it's id number, it will help out a lot

• Even with the toggle how do you know which to target? Two of the level 30 areas have mobs like this, though it is easy to crash away from.
  • Indi said:

Even with the toggle how do you know which to target? Two of the level 30 areas have mobs like this, though it is easy to crash away from.
    The bottom one.
  • Oh wow, the actively attacking mob is the bottom one? That means it works like Aetolia's config oldtargeting. I can work with that although it's a step backwards.
  • Anemoi is kind of awful.  I tried it at lvl 51.  I manually bash.  Even after getting the triggers down I think the mobs dish out a little too much damage for the level.  I died twice in quick succession and went back to a lower lvl area.  This is an experience on a scoundrel.
  • Yeah, Anemoi is a difficult bashing area. Many of the mobs are either aggressive, wandering, wind-up, or a combination of the three.
    Mereas Eyrlock
    "They're excited, but poor."
    - Ilyos (August 2019)
  • I don't know what to tell you folks! I was doing Anemoi fine as a Scoundrel from high 40s onwards.
  • There's no way Thessia.  It's just not optimal.  Also, they just nerfed rapidfire dmg to make it even worse.
  • It might be worth using PROBE on your targets in Anemoi for a while if you're struggling. The eagles and cania specifically can vary from 'weaker than you' to 'stronger than you' at level 52-53 IIRC, and the latter can be a lot more difficult to handle than the former. As you get a few more levels and stats to pump into lifeforce & your damage they should become easier to handle.
  • Anemoi was one of the areas that was retuned upwards (made harder, to match its marks and exp. rewards). So people who bashed it before and after the retuning may have vastly different experiences.
    Mereas Eyrlock
    "They're excited, but poor."
    - Ilyos (August 2019)