Skip to content

Cosmpiercers

I think this is a big enough topic to validate a discussion separate from the ideas thread?

Recently in Song, there was a complaint that no one had ever explained Cosmpiercers to everyone. Like most conversations in the Song faction, this devolved into petty name calling, unwarranted hostility and so on.

While as a result of this conversation, Song have decided to clarify the role of Cosmpiercers, there should be public resources available to people, and more resources available even for the people who've been doing them.

Some questions/suggestions:

Can we have a way of finding out which Cosmpiercer is being attacked?

At the moment, we know people are dying to our guards, but not where.

If so, are we going to be able to actually defend Cosmpiercers in the future?

It can take so long to travel to a Cosmpiercer that by the time you'd arrive, the place would be lost. Turrets seem viable.

Can we have a personal command and faction command to list owned Cosmpiercers and what they provide?

For example, how many do I own and what marks will that reward me? Same for factions

Can Cosmpiercers give Marks to offline people?

If not, can we please have this be a thing.

Can we have a list of the value of different Cosmpiercer ranks in terms of marks?

Perhaps in the currently empty HELP COSMPIERCER file.

Do the Ishvana plan to re-take Cosmpiercers? 

It'd be interesting if they did! Perhaps as part of a cycle? It'd be a bit sad to see them vanish.

Comments

• Also, when a Cosmpiercer is claimed, there should be a cooldown of at least 1 RL day before it can be captured back. Otherwise, it's just endless back and forth...
  • Can we also agree to hold off the enemying to factions for Cosmpiercer raids? It's one of the main conflicts we'll be having in space.

Being enemied to a faction just for clashing is quickly going to see most people who join in one limited/restricted from travelling to 1/3rd of the whole space system and homeworlds.
  • Jerom said:
    Also, when a Cosmpiercer is claimed, there should be a cooldown of at least 1 RL day before it can be captured back. Otherwise, it's just endless back and forth...
    Idk why people keep suggesting this. I don't like this idea. This doesn't help anything. At most, it would end up being endless back and forth, once per day, which is not what we want anyway. 

What we need is a way for players of a faction to have a faster way of travelling to an owned cosmpiercer to help out with defense. As of now, there is no point for players to travel to a cosmpiercer to defend. By the time the player arrives, they won't be defending anymore, they'll be attacking lol.

What I suggest is when a cosmpiercer detects an intrusion, a notification will be sent to the entire faction (or just the military, should a similar feature be implemented) and then players will be able to use some fancy scifi stuff to teleport to the cosmpiercer immediately. If that is too gamebreaking, then at least give engineers some sort of ability to construct a portal to an owned cosmpiercer. Idk how wormholes work but maybe it's possible for engineers to coordinate a group wormhole to defend a cosmpiercer? And a wormhole back to someone who agrees to stay at their faction base? Basically something needs to be done to make defending a cosmpiercer viable. Cosmpiercers are supposed to facilitate PvP anyway, not just guard bashing.
  • Can cosmpiercers only pay people who helped, not have 25k split between the 1250 people in Scatterhome who joined since the start?
  • Zaoul said:
    Can cosmpiercers only pay people who helped, not have 25k split between the 1250 people in Scatterhome who joined since the start?
    What do you mean by that? Some marks go to our faction bank and those who participated get a small amount of marks if I understand he system properly.
  • I’d be okay with a small cool down but not an entire day...payouts happen once a day and that would effectively block the opportunity to take one back before payout. So it would devolve into whoever got there first.
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk
  • Without a cooldown, fighting would never end, it would drags on for hours, especially if we get a faster way of travelling as well. Defenders show up, you fight them off and they come back right away. Rinse and repeat. With a cooldown, you would at least get a reprieve from the fighting and/or you could focus on a different cosmpiercer.
  • I'd say also allow us to forbid a space around the cosmpiercer say for 100tiles, with a warning at 150 to not approach it, and allow us to set armada's on auto engage from that distance. Making getting into an occupied Cosmpiercer like running a blockade.

As of right now, unless you literally enemy anyone who dies in a Cosmpiercer, you have no way of knowing who to enemy, and thus you cannot reasonably expect the armadas to act as a defense.
    Dyslexic(Symbolic Dyslexia and Subtracting-Substitution Dyslexia according to a doctor I had at one point.) and have lost my glasses and lack the ability to pay for a new set.
    Thank you for understanding.
  • I agree on one hand that an Armada should auto engage but then people just going through space could be blasted randomly
  • This is why you have an exclusion zone with warnings in place. If they aren't paying attention that's their fault.

Ex-EVE player, so I take a very dim view to, "I was AFK and on autopilot so my death doesn't count or should be reversed."
    Dyslexic(Symbolic Dyslexia and Subtracting-Substitution Dyslexia according to a doctor I had at one point.) and have lost my glasses and lack the ability to pay for a new set.
  • edited December 2018
    Yo guys. First of all, enemying someone for participating in cosmpiercer attacks is a dick move. Cosmpiercers are this game's structured PvP, what happens on a Cosmpiercer should stay on the Cosmpiercer. If you can't agree with that ICly, at least do it OOCly so as not to fuck up the community and make the game unfun. Last time I checked Lusternia (which admittedly was ages ago), people didn't enemy for participating in village influencing either.
    Speaking of village influencing - that ran on a timer so it wasn't an endless back and forth either. Let's take an inspiration from Lusternia but also provide our own twist by giving players options to be more proactive even when a cosmpiercer is under control. My idea:
    When a cosmpiercer is taken over it stays with the faction who liberated it for a while - the numbers may need crunching but for argument's sake let's say 2 RL weeks. However, each time another faction manages to break into the cosmpiercer and "liberate" it (same way as right now, kill guards, activate console room), one RL day (or some other amount of time) goes off that timer. When the timer clocks down to zero, the cosmpiercer becomes neutral and free for grabs again as Ishvana reconquer it - unless it went down to 0 because of a liberation, in which case it automatically switches ownership to the liberator.
    In Lusternia village timers were hidden but here I think they should be visible, that way peeps will know to focus on cosmpiercers with little time left on their timers while giving those with longer timers a pass - but if they want to go kill guards to make it tick down even faster, their own choice. How's that sound like?
  • edited December 2018
    I'd agree with you for enemy'ing them for cosmpiercers if and only if one thing was taken care of.

Make the defenses outside the cosmpiercer respond to non-enemies as well as enemies. Easy as that. Maybe if they set it on a time do it only at the timers countdown, and maybe like 5 minutes before. And disallow docking with the cosmpiercer for those without faction ties until the timer is engaged.
  • Also I'd say make the timers 72 hours, with 3 intervals of assault. A ship based shield battle, a ground based hull battle, then an all out assault for the core. That can be adjusted within each 12 hours span forward or back within 24 hours.(This is a straight copy of how EVE does timers.) This allows people from all time zones to be relavent, not just those who happen to be on when the global timer goes off.

Cosmpiercers just feel too easy and loosey goosey right now.
  • I'd agree with you Cubey if it wasn't for the fact our COSMPIERCER DEFENCES DONT ATTACK PEOPLE NOT ENEMIED
  • edited December 2018
    Guards in the piercer attack non-enemies, dunno why space defenses don't. Probably so they don't accidentally shoot down unrelated people who are just flying by, but then that doesn't stop the guards in the piercer either, does it? Especially when it means stranding the pilot who respawned half the galaxy away while the ship is left at the piercer.
    Either way an oversight that hopefully gets corrected soon and really, that just adds weight to my idea. Enemy people who attack your cosmpiercers but don't enemy those who only come take neutral ones. Problem solved.
  • That's what we did, then Song pitched a fit and sent a force of about 20 with 3 of the top ten players in the game right now, to kill fourteen relative newbies. And then had the gall to threaten war with us if we didn't unenemy them.

So please understand why these issues might be a smidge contentious for us.
  • RheaGhek said:
    That's what we did, then Song pitched a fit and sent a force of about 20 with 3 of the top ten players in the game right now, to kill fourteen relative newbies. And then had the gall to threaten war with us if we didn't unenemy them.

So please understand why these issues might be a smidge contentious for us.
    I know what happened (except the "armadas only attack enemies" bit), I understand why we're all pissed off, which is why I'm offering dev-side solutions right now. Course it's up to the devs if they follow my idea or not, but hopefully it'll at least serve as inspiration for them.
    As for player side solutions? Remember that PK without reason is a punishable offense. We had like 3 announcement posts about that. If anyone throws a fit and starts killing noobs left and right, that's what the ISSUE command is for.
  • It was fun combat. I'm not sure why you think you won cause from my perspective we killed a lot of you. 😆

But then again my friends and I joined after the fighting started and had to run back to help with the murdering. 
    Download Montem System for Nexus Client - https://pastebin.com/MBEn7S0u
  • edited December 2018
    Well, I killed 5 people and died once when we decided to leave and everyone else had already gone 😛 I know you focus-killed Kitty a few times (3?) but she got heart started, and heart started people on our side that died.

It’s not bragging to say that we have the most combat-focused players and the highest level ones. We did definitely crush you though.

Edit: We chose to leave, and managed to hold the position up until that point while SH citizens crashed out of the room to heal and had to be cloned.
  • Seems to me like you 'choose to leave' when you started getting your ass kicked. I never attacked Kitty. 
  • I like that factional conflict is already a thing. "Yo Song is swole af, we'll rek you" "Nah man that scat zerg rush"
    Eukelade gives you a peck on the cheek.
  • edited December 2018
    We chose to leave  =) At no point were we having our ass kicked, honestly. 

By "You" I meant Scatterhome.

I know personally that I got killed when we'd basically declared the combat over, mostly because we realised we'd been fed false information and were wasting our time being there. After that, I started talks with Ronin, as did Avae and Kitty. 
  • I'm glad you declared that so that your death didn't REALLY count. Would have sucked to be killed by a scatterhomie. 
  • edited December 2018
    >.> Honestly. You did not win. Most of us stayed alive. 

Afterwards, to get revenge, some SH people went and ganked one of Song's few non-combatants who hadn't been involved, spawnkilled her multiple times, and whined when issues were thrown out.

That's... A real show of power right there.

Edit: Not to mention, similar acts have been Scatterhome policy since the game started. 
  • Was that after you murdered a bunch of newbies? Not that I condone any spawn killing, but most people in Scatterhome believe an eye for an eye. Or maybe a head for an eye is closer. 
  • The level of misinformation here is pretty high. Unlike other factions, Song is a faction of mostly combatants from other IREs. We're pretty used to group combat and who to target. We had a crew and we had rough ideas about who our highest threats were.

Newbies who were there had most likely thrown an attack and gotten hit back for it, or got thwacked by an AoE, which SH was throwing more of than us for obvious reasons.

If you want to go about saying "THINK OF THE NEWBIES" then we can talk about how you placed a Guard on your takeoff point, the whole reason this conversation started anyway.

We could talk about how from day one, it's been primarily YOUR faction that's been randomly griefing people and ganking people fighting mobs, or how spawnkilling is an art that SH has mastered.

Either way, the conflict in Reynolds doesn't remotely justify what was done, and I hope that those involved got what they deserved for doing it. Pretty confused at how you think that's an appropriate response to anything, especially against someone not even remotely involved in it.

There's a limit to bravado, and that's comes when you sink to outright lies and justifying abhorrent crap.
  • Regarding the original topic, having no CD on cosmpiercers means that those who do them can rack up their faction influence to obscene levels.
  • edited December 2018
    Montem said:
    Not that I condone any spawn killing, but most people in Scatterhome believe an eye for an eye. Or maybe a head for an eye is closer. 
    Spawnkilling, and killing people completely uninvolved, are both breaking rules. Just so you know. Killing random people just because the other side did, isn't gonna fly. Resolve the issue, don't partake in "monkey see, monkey do."
    NEWS READ ANNOUNCEMENTS 9 for more information. Or just HELP PK
  • Dunno where else to post this but -
    https://ada-young.appspot.com/pastebin/Z-tA9sSc
    I feel like it may be a bug that two guards hit 25 times in the span of one prompt. I submitted a BUG in game but yeah. 
    Eukelade gives you a peck on the cheek.