Skip to content

Death penalty

Comments

• Cubey said:
    Tye said:
    I've died once in ~10 hours of gameplay. Pay more attention and you won't have to pay cloning fees.
    I take it you neither PvPed nor explored and stuck only to newbie zones that other players already declared safe for you.

Incorrect.
    Eukelade gives you a peck on the cheek.
  • Yea, one of the main reasons I quit playing GW2 was that solo boss fights in the seasons weren't a challenge, they were just irritating. Once all my amour broke I could just throw my self at the same enemy 100 times without penalty until it died. I never had to figure out any strategy and it got really boring.
    I'm gone.
  • I had a good time figuring out the puzzle to the broken drones on Selubir, because cloning was still free for me. I died plenty, first trying to outrun the death-spin attack via CRASH. I came back and studied the patterns and discovered that the death-spin does around 70% of your health, regardless of your max health (so Regen, not Lifeforce, would have been a better help). Then I found out about interrupting the attack, when it's charging up. Took me about an hour of fun back-and-forth from the cloning station to the drone place.

If I had to pay 500+ marks for approximately the 10 deaths I went through to uncover all of that, I would never have bothered. Challenges can be challenging without the punitive consequences.
    Mereas Eyrlock
    "They're excited, but poor."
    - Ilyos (August 2019)
  • I will say that as a player of Fortnite, I am terrible, and I often get frustrated and somewhat pissed at my awfulness when I die. I don't lose anything tangible from dying, but it still sucks and I dislike it greatly. 
  • Aurelius said:
    I will say that as a player of Fortnite, I am terrible, and I often get frustrated and somewhat pissed at my awfulness when I die. I don't lose anything tangible from dying, but it still sucks and I dislike it greatly. 
    That's also a PVP only aspect of dying. Even without penalties, the feeling that another person beat you can be painful enough. I don't think that translates against NPCs. Just my own experience at least.
  • I am more of a fan of increasingly longer respawn times than any direct money/exp cost. To the casual player it will not hurt but it will still prevent you from just ignoring a death. As a side effect this also makes camping someone more of a pain as well.
    This statement is false.
  • Jinresh said:
    Cubey said:
    Challenge != punishment for dying. In fact, you want players to be more daring to tackle challenges? Lower penalties for dying. If they're too high, they will stick to safe zones because the risk is just not worth the reward. Not to mention pvp basically fucking dies except for griefers jumping much weaker people when they're sure they can get away with it.
    Speaking of which, the harsher the penalties for dying, the more griefing you'll see because people will know they can really make you hurt with only a single death. In the meantime, smart jackasses like myself escape consequences and only the inexperienced or honest players suffer. You want Starmourn to look like this?

I think your definition of "challenge" has some holes in it. If you lower the penalties for dying, doesn't that make it no longer a "challenge"? I tend to equate challenge with the chance of failure; greater the chance of failure, the greater the challenge. So yes, I think it should be a big deal to "tackle challenges" not some bumper bowling where everyone gives it a shot and eventually succeeds.

If you lower the death penalties to a meaningless level (subjective measure) then places you could die are no longer a challenge, they are more a time sink that you just keep throwing yourself at until you succeed.
    No, cause penalties such as xp loss and a monetary death tax don't translate directly to challenge, they're just a punishment for failure.

There's not really much of a punishment for failure in XIV, for example, but that doesn't detract from the challenge that is presented in the content that is intended to be difficult. Check out the Ultima Ultimate fight heh, people were literally throwing themselves at that fight for over five days before a group managed to beat it (Complete with stream watchers helping figure out the mechanics), in no way did that detract from the challenge.
  • I am more of a fan of increasingly longer respawn times than any direct money/exp cost. To the casual player it will not hurt but it will still prevent you from just ignoring a death. As a side effect this also makes camping someone more of a pain as well.
    I am actually loving the shorter respawn times. The long respawn times in Achaea were frustrating. This version is refreshing and new. I hope they don't make it a lot longer. It's enough that you have to backtrack and go get your INR and junk you dropped.

Slight tangent, I'm also loving that I don't have to fool with packs or dropping gold, or selfishness/generosity. I also love that our source of income is junk rather than dropped gold and corpses. Slightly more realistic. :) 
  • Traveler said:
    I am more of a fan of increasingly longer respawn times than any direct money/exp cost. To the casual player it will not hurt but it will still prevent you from just ignoring a death. As a side effect this also makes camping someone more of a pain as well.
    I am actually loving the shorter respawn times. The long respawn times in Achaea were frustrating. This version is refreshing and new. I hope they don't make it a lot longer. It's enough that you have to backtrack and go get your INR and junk you dropped.
    What I mean is your first death in the RL day gets you 0 respawn delay, the second +X, the third +2X, etc. If you recover your INR it would reset the count.
    This statement is false.
  • Matlkael said:
    Projection goes both ways. It's your gameplay and preference to have punitive consequences; it's not for others. 
    Which I stated in my original post. I said I was the voice of opposition. That puts me in a different category. Not negating the existing category, but standing outside of it.
  • Matlkael said:
    Then I found out about interrupting the attack, when it's charging up.
    I love you. These went from "oh my god what the hell was that" to "these mobs are pretty easy..."
  • I hate the mark loss. It's seriously discouraging me from finding more hunting grounds and just killing easy crap. 
    Download Montem System for Nexus Client - https://pastebin.com/MBEn7S0u
  • Maruna said:
    Matlkael said:
    Then I found out about interrupting the attack, when it's charging up.
    I love you. These went from "oh my god what the hell was that" to "these mobs are pretty easy..."
    I think this right here cannot be emphasized enough. You cannot approach hunting here like every other IRE where you press one button on repeat. There are legitimate strategies out there to handle enemies. 

Try EM attacks on tech heavy mobs or sensory attacks or interupts on big hitters. Don't expect to be able to survive with one button in Starmourn.
  • Minion said:
    Don't expect to be able to survive with one button in Starmourn.
    Well I didn't have my interupt even learned yet until I read that post. Decided to buy a lesson pack to learn some more things, I've just been taking it easy and figuring out what's what.
    I dunno what you mean by 'tech heavy mobs'
  • edited December 2018
    Drones, robots, even humanoids that use a lot of tech. I have been trying to approach hunting a lot like pvp after figuring out that voidism freeze was certainly having an impact against mobs.

EM attacks against Engineers are going to have a bigger impact than against Fury because of thier dependance on technology. I would translate against mobs since almost every attack works against mobs.

EDIT: FYI that wasn't pointed directly at you, more of a general tip for everyone. Starmourn is certainly more of a strategy all around for me than the typical grind.
  • edited December 2018
    Minion said:
    Drones, robots, even humanoids that use a lot of tech. I have been trying to approach hunting a lot like pvp after figuring out that voidism freeze was certainly having an impact against mobs.

EM attacks against Engineers are going to have a bigger impact than against Fury because of thier dependance on technology. I would translate against mobs since almost every attack works against mobs.
    Oh. Right... Yeah I've mostly just been using voidism freeze since my nanites are already scraped thin because of opening with multistrike (now that I'm fighting mobs that take more than 2 hits to kil), on top of protect. It regens super quick with miniaturisation but... I dunno, I've found freeze to be fine in general so far! I'll have to study things a bit more.
  • Maruna said:
    Minion said: 

Oh. Right... Yeah I've mostly just been using voidism freeze since my nanites are already scraped thin because of opening with multistrike (now that I'm fighting mobs that take more than 2 hits to kil), on top of protect. It regens super quick with miniaturisation but... I dunno, I've found freeze to be fine in general so far! I'll have to study things a bit more.
    If you watch with tougher enemies they will sometimes skip or delay an attack to cure a level of freeze. I haven't played with other afflictions much but i have to believe that similar results are possible. Still exploring that though so i could be misinterpreting what i am seeing.
  • The problem is that trial and error for this kind of stuff often involves dying.
  • I think the biggest change that needs to happen is the death timer. It should be about a minute down time or something. It's a bit ridiculous that if you are in a small station, if you fight someone and they die, that they respawn before you've even recovered, before your combat timer has dropped so you can't even leave the station, and they immediately rush you.

So now you die, what's the logical reaction? To rush them and fight, so now they die because they haven't even recovered... and you get stuck in these stupid loops. Death timer should be longer than it takes for the combat timer to drop at the bare minimum.
  • I am actually loving the shorter respawn times. The long respawn times in Achaea were frustrating. This version is refreshing and new. I hope they don't make it a lot longer. It's enough that you have to backtrack and go get your INR and junk you dropped.
    Agreed, dying in Achaea basically meant go browse the web randomly for 1 minute and come back realising you've wasted 1 hour of bashing experience. Doesn't add anything to the gameplay. 

Slight tangent, I'm also loving that I don't have to fool with packs or dropping gold, or selfishness/generosity. I also love that our source of income is junk rather than dropped gold and corpses. Slightly more realistic. :) 
    Rodents and animals dropping armour and weapons is so unrealistic though. Literally unplayable!

As a side note, seriously some of you guys whine a lot. The game is fine as it is yet people are calling for faster levelling, no Marks loss upon death, nerfing completely balanced mobs just because you had poor problem solving skills. What next? Keep spamming 'Q' to gain 1% of experience for free? Games are meant to be challenging.

• People discussing what they like and don't, especially after being asked to give feedback, is not whining. You can also express your opinion. Obviously the devs will do what they think is best.

Also I'll take an xp button. Thanks. 
  • edited December 2018
    Games are also meant to be fun. The challenges should be the content, not the grind to afford to access the content. A cost on death - not to mention losing all your profit from bashing when you drop junk (compared to other IREs where you die but at least have the gold you earned) - means you have to constantly be making money just to be able to PK or try risky stuff. THESE activities are challenging gameplay to me, not the artificial difficulty added by death cost.
  • I really like the low XP cost of death, but the short respawn times leads to degenerate gameplay.
  • As I vaguely suggested in my in-game post, maybe have cloning itself be free but take longer and have costs apply if you want a quicker rez or transport to another facility or other upgrades/perks.
  • Eiphy said:
    As I vaguely suggested in my in-game post, maybe have cloning itself be free but take longer and have costs apply if you want a quicker rez or transport to another facility or other upgrades/perks.
    I'd love this so much. If I want to read the backlog I'll rather not pay and wait a while, or take that time to stand up and take breather and keep my marks. 
  • Minei said:
    Eiphy said:
    As I vaguely suggested in my in-game post, maybe have cloning itself be free but take longer and have costs apply if you want a quicker rez or transport to another facility or other upgrades/perks.
    I'd love this so much. If I want to read the backlog I'll rather not pay and wait a while, or take that time to stand up and take breather and keep my marks. 
    I'd love this for different reasons. If you die and drop a huge amount of junk you might want to pay the cost to revive faster. Decisions! 
  • I know I have been drinking the Starmourn koolaid lately but I do see how expensive this is going to get if I get adventurous. 

+1 for the idea to pay for a quick recovery clone rather than all clones. Getting INR and drops back is a good motivator if they are seeking a valid money-sink in game.
  • Mark costs are entirely too high compared to the mark generation at low levels. The costs should be scaled back at the low end. 300-400 marks to respawn is brutal at level 14.
  • Atalkez said:
    Mark costs are entirely too high compared to the mark generation at low levels. The costs should be scaled back at the low end. 300-400 marks to respawn is brutal at level 14.
    This. Make it similar to armor/weapon/insurance costs. It's cheaper to replace my ship than myself heh. Or remove it. Removing it better. Definitely remove for PvP. Hate PvP barriers.