Skip to content

Age & Birthday

Can we choose how old our characters are at launch, and the day on which they were born?

The alternative would appear to be that everyone who rolls in at launch is 18 years old and shares the same birthday.

A couple problems I have with this are:
  • If I want to start a family dynasty at launch, everyone I start out with will have to be a twin. If I start with four other people in the same dynasty, then we'll have to be quintuplets which is increasingly unlikely. I'd like to be able to set up more of an age gap, with someone being a big sister, little sister, etc.
  • There's lots of really interesting recent history, particularly for those of us starting out in CA. It would be fun to be able to say that my character fought in this war, or that my character's father died fighting in this war, or that my character remembers being x years old when the family business fell to pieces etc. Richer backstory.
MKO had a couple of artifacts: one let us hide our age, and the others let us alter our age/birthday, valid only once. This seems like it could be an elegant solution, too, if you aren't letting people choose their age/birthday.

We also had an Elder tagline there which was visible in the honours of anyone who rolled in during the first week of launch. Will we have something like that here? If I make a 40 year old one month from now vs. someone else making an 18 year old at launch, this would also help to identify who's been playing for longer, if being able to check that via character age is a concern.

"They are elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty."
— Oscar Wilde

"I'll take care of it, Luke said. And because he said it instead of her, I knew he meant kill. That is what you have to do before you kill, I thought. You have to create an it, where none was before."
— Margaret Atwood

Comments

• edited December 2018
    Maybe age should just not be a thing in this game? Frankly it's more trouble than it's worth, let the players decide how old or young their character is. Character seniority would be decided by the day they started adventuring (that is, when the character was created) instead.
    By the way, do we even know how the time flows in Starmourn? Is the rate the same as in other IRE MUDs, roughly an IC day per RL hour? This is a sci-fi game, of the kind where it's not unheard for colossal societal and political changes to occur over the span of only a few years, so for once I wouldn't mind a smaller ingame-to-rl time convertion ratio.
  • As far as I remember each race has an age range they can start at. I think those are listed on the wiki articles for each.
    Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.
  • Yeah, an 18 year old Decheeran would still be sprouting leaves in a forest somewhere. :)
  • I'm pretty sure you're allowed to pick your age, within reason. Like if you're a Human, you could be anything from 18 to 90 or something.
  • Cubey said:
    By the way, do we even know how the time flows in Starmourn? Is the rate the same as in other IRE MUDs, roughly an IC day per RL hour? This is a sci-fi game, of the kind where it's not unheard for colossal societal and political changes to occur over the span of only a few years, so for once I wouldn't mind a smaller ingame-to-rl time convertion ratio.
    Timeflow in Starmourn is the same as ours. 1 day is 24 rl hours.
    Mudlet: Ōtsutsuki Interface
    "In all chaos there is a cosmos, in all disorder a secret order."
  • Actually 1 month is 24 rl hours. 1 day is 1 rl hour.
  • Syaja has a memory like a vice, remembering every comment and response I've made! Yes, 1 RL day is 1 in-game month, 15 months to the year. We also fixed the time, so the in-game day will always line up with RL hour, so the 1st is 0100 GMT every day, 16th is 1600 GMT etc, making it easier for people to plan things with an easy frame of reference.
  • Syaja has been dreaming about this day for AGES but also I remembered it because it was always a thing where there was an extra day in the Achaean month that threw things off, so I was really happy when y'all announced it would be 24/days per month.
  • edited December 2018
    @Syaja @Tecton Oh, oops. It said differently on the wiki.
    Mudlet: Ōtsutsuki Interface
    "In all chaos there is a cosmos, in all disorder a secret order."