It's been a while since we've had a quick recap and exposition on what we've done lately and what we're doing next.
One of our big goals with Starmourn at the moment is getting the game to the point where we can leave "Beta". Over the last few months, we feel we've done quite a lot to make the game more stable, fix bugs and add some much needed mechanics, systems and quality of life improvements.
We tried to keep development as close as possible to the aforementioned Roadmap and this worked out fine for the most part. Naturally, we implemented a few things that weren't in the Roadmap, we changed our approach to other things and shifted and turned the priority of development to match the needs of the community.
So how are we doing so far? Over the last six or so months, we've covered the following topics (this is not an exhaustive list):
- New exploration mechanic that allows you to search the wilderness and obtain comm rewards
- Systems that allow for dynamic scaling of areas (New Dikamazi and the wilderness are examples of this). This system also allows us to include everyone in all of our events, regardless of level.
- Xenozoology - an engaging mechanic that has you scan creatures to learn more about them and rewards you with lessons. Also comes with daily bounties
- Daily Faction Quests
- Music and Performance!
(Both of these last two weren't on the list)
- Numerous changes to commodity spawns,frequency and density
- Commodity grouping by relevant areas
- Manufacturing specializations (these will probably see more action this month or the next, based on your feedback)
- Improvements to the MARKET, personal market orders, better value
Tradeskills and Shopfronts
- New Tradeskills
- Revamp of Modding
- Numerous shopfront improvements and upgrades
- Design improvements
- Ship Customizations
- Generic item customization requests
- Class weapon/armor and loyals customizations
- "Transmogrification" system
- Improvements and changes to the cosmpiercer system
- Space pirate refineries that allow for open PK
In addition, all areas have received significant Quality of Life improvements, fixes and tweaks. We know some of the aforementioned systems still need some attention and we're working on delivering those changes based on your feedback and our data and results! We really appreciate how involved all of you were in testing and giving feedback on everything we have put in so far.
So what's going on now?
September is underway and we opened the month with new Tradeskills and Multiclass. We still have one more Tradeskill to release and this will probably happen early next week. Alongside this, each of us is working on their own projects, as follows:
Eukelade and the Storytellers are working on a very interesting event you'll start hearing about very soon. We like to think that we're approaching this in a manner that hasn't been done much in IRE before.
Garryn is working on a new conflict mechanic! Basically, the Cosmpiercers will, once again, receive an overhaul and they will be tied in with a land conflict system as well. The goal here is to give players the opportunity for some more 1 on 1 or team on team combat that isn't directly linked to ships and space. Another aim of this new system is to tie in some of our existing mechanics into a more cohesive system.
Ilyos is working on finishing the remaining Tradeskill and will probably spend the rest of the month consolidating existing systems and working on some more QoL improvements.
We already have the theme picked out for next month but...no spoilers just yet!
Let us know your thoughts on how the development of Starmourn is going so far, for you!