Skip to content

Development Updates: The Roadmap so far, what are we working on and what's next

Greetings Starmourners,

It's been a while since we've had a quick recap and exposition on what we've done lately and what we're doing next.
One of our big goals with Starmourn at the moment is getting the game to the point where we can leave "Beta". Over the last few months, we feel we've done quite a lot to make the game more stable, fix bugs and add some much needed mechanics, systems and quality of life improvements.

In April we posted the Starmourn Roadmap, which you can still find here: https://forums.starmourn.com/discussion/907/starmourn-roadmap.
We tried to keep development as close as possible to the aforementioned Roadmap and this worked out fine for the most part. Naturally, we implemented a few things that weren't in the Roadmap, we changed our approach to other things and shifted and turned the priority of development to match the needs of the community.

So how are we doing so far? Over the last six or so months, we've covered the following topics (this is not an exhaustive list):

PvE
- New exploration mechanic that allows you to search the wilderness and obtain comm rewards
- Systems that allow for dynamic scaling of areas (New Dikamazi and the wilderness are examples of this). This system also allows us to include everyone in all of our events, regardless of level.
- Xenozoology - an engaging mechanic that has you scan creatures to learn more about them and rewards you with lessons. Also comes with daily bounties
- Daily Faction Quests
- Music and Performance!
(Both of these last two weren't on the list)

Economy
- Numerous changes to commodity spawns,frequency and density
- Commodity grouping by relevant areas
- Manufacturing specializations (these will probably see more action this month or the next, based on your feedback)
- Improvements to the MARKET, personal market orders, better value

Tradeskills and Shopfronts
- New Tradeskills
- Revamp of Modding
- Numerous shopfront improvements and upgrades
- Design improvements

Customizations
- Ship Customizations
- Generic item customization requests
- Class weapon/armor and loyals customizations
- "Transmogrification" system

PvP
- Improvements and changes to the cosmpiercer system
- Space pirate refineries that allow for open PK
- Multiclass

In addition, all areas have received significant Quality of Life improvements, fixes and tweaks. We know some of the aforementioned systems still need some attention and we're working on delivering those changes based on your feedback and our data and results! We really appreciate how involved all of you were in testing and giving feedback on everything we have put in so far.

So what's going on now?

September is underway and we opened the month with new Tradeskills and Multiclass. We still have one more Tradeskill to release and this will probably happen early next week. Alongside this, each of us is working on their own projects, as follows:

Eukelade and the Storytellers are working on a very interesting event you'll start hearing about very soon. We like to think that we're approaching this in a manner that hasn't been done much in IRE before.

Garryn is working on a new conflict mechanic! Basically, the Cosmpiercers will, once again, receive an overhaul and they will be tied in with a land conflict system as well. The goal here is to give players the opportunity for some more 1 on 1 or team on team combat that isn't directly linked to ships and space. Another aim of this new system is to tie in some of our existing mechanics into a more cohesive system.

Ilyos is working on finishing the remaining Tradeskill and will probably spend the rest of the month consolidating existing systems and working on some more QoL improvements.

We already have the theme picked out for next month but...no spoilers just yet!
Let us know your thoughts on how the development of Starmourn is going so far, for you!

Comments

• Ilyos said:
    Let us know your thoughts on how the development of Starmourn is going so far, for you!
    Boycotting this game because still no space cats. 

"They are elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty."
    — Oscar Wilde

"I'll take care of it, Luke said. And because he said it instead of her, I knew he meant kill. That is what you have to do before you kill, I thought. You have to create an it, where none was before."
    — Margaret Atwood

• Ferachts are space cats.
    I forgot I was going to call myself Ike while in chargen, so now I'm Zarrach.
  • Ikchor said:
    Ferachts are space cats.
    But I can't adopt one. :( 

"They are elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty."
    — Oscar Wilde

"I'll take care of it, Luke said. And because he said it instead of her, I knew he meant kill. That is what you have to do before you kill, I thought. You have to create an it, where none was before."
    — Margaret Atwood

• Kestrel said:
    Ikchor said:
    Ferachts are space cats.
    But I can't adopt one. :( 
    That's because they adopt you.
    Oh no, It's Kass.

• COLONIZATION

• Colonization of asteroids/planets for player worldbuilding

• Bonuses offered to holding certain aspects of economical life on said colonies/establishments

• Involved activities for colony expansion/maintenance

• Conflict options for colonized space (takeovers, raids, hacks)

This please from the Spring roadmap
  • COLONIZATION

• Colonization of asteroids/planets for player worldbuilding

• Bonuses offered to holding certain aspects of economical life on said colonies/establishments

• Involved activities for colony expansion/maintenance

• Conflict options for colonized space (takeovers, raids, hacks)

This please from the Spring roadmap
    All of these things will happen. Just that the order in which they'll happen will vary
  • I dunno how long I can wait for my Krelleaux and my Elganveaux Empire can wait.... (this is the plural I shall use and no one will take it from me)
  • edited October 2019
    You're just going around slapping -eaux on the end of everything aren't you. You're terri-beaux.
    I forgot I was going to call myself Ike while in chargen, so now I'm Zarrach.