Skip to content

Random Questions

1235»

Comments

• uric17 said:
    i am afraid that the abilities of each class will be more for the adventurers and less for the denizens, in achaea there are so much abilities but most of them are against other players which angered me very much cause i don't fight against other players nor someone fought me so the options for me are mostly for traveling and killing players so will it be different here? i noticed the abilities to every class but will i have a small selection against denizens like i have in achaea?     
    Traditionally, that's how it's been in all IRE MUDs: you need to have a large array of abilities to use against players due to how complex the combat is, but only a few damage-only attacks can be used against mobs.

Achaea introduced Battlerage which gave you a few more abilities that could be exclusively used on mobs (including affs that other allies could capitalize on by hitting them with a Battlerage attack of their own for terrible, terrible damage) and Imperian tried to break that mold by letting you use some of your PK abilities to afflict mobs, temporarily.

It's just that there's not much point in doing anything other than direct damage against mobs most of the time, and in IRE only a few of your attacks do direct damage, so only a few of your attacks will work on mobs. I'd love to know if that'll be the case here, though—being able to "PK" mobs with my full array of combat abilities would be nice, but it'd take a lot of effort on the coders' parts to get it to work.
  • Dodger said:
    uric17 said:
    i am afraid that the abilities of each class will be more for the adventurers and less for the denizens, in achaea there are so much abilities but most of them are against other players which angered me very much cause i don't fight against other players nor someone fought me so the options for me are mostly for traveling and killing players so will it be different here? i noticed the abilities to every class but will i have a small selection against denizens like i have in achaea?     
    I'm afraid that on the other hand bashing will become unnecessarily complex, there is certainly a balance, but too much of a good thing...  That said Midkemia's Rogue Bard had a pretty good bashing skillset as I recall.
    Pedagogical rumors of rumors fuel the cosmos

• edited August 2017
    Wilmer said:
    Dodger said:
    uric17 said:
    I'm afraid that on the other hand bashing will become unnecessarily complex, there is certainly a balance, but too much of a good thing...  That said Midkemia's Rogue Bard had a pretty good bashing skillset as I recall.
    Achaea did strike a nice balance. Most Battlerage skillsets had two damaging attacks, two affs or self-buffs, a shield breaker, and a "critical hit" that you could use when an ally used the right aff. You built up Battlerage by using your regular bashing attack, and then could use the Battlerage abilities on their own balance to dish out extra punishment.

Thus you had a total of six extra attacks you could use against mobs, which were entirely separate from your PK abilities, and used a meter you built up and spent. It was pretty cool, and a lot more fun than doing "dsl orc" over and over until you moved onto the next.
  • edited August 2017
    Never mind 
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk
  • I have never played an IRE game before, so I have no frame of reference to the other games when I ask this. Would it be possible to be given an idea/example, etc. of how ships, ship flight, and ship combat, would work? Clearly they are a central component to the game and I suppose I am trying to understand if the ships will be more MUSH like in that they are simply a vehicle to get from point A or point B or if they are like MOOs from the past were ship combat/ship hacking, etc. will be a thing.

Thanks!
  • Dodger said:
    being able to "PK" mobs with my full array of combat abilities would be nice
    Indeed it would!
  • Ooo, here's a question:

Can I PvE in my ship? That is, can I go blow up non-player controlled ships or whatever? Or will it be a strictly PvP type combat environment akin to Achaea?
  • Demarcus said:
    Out of curiosity, what, if anything, is being planned to handle the glut of noob-tastic-ness at launch? I can't imagine having 50+ (Maybe I'm not giving Starmourn enough credit here... 500+!) n00bs taking on the n00b areas in the first week/months could lead to a lot of feelbads and frustration as there is super-fierce competition for what I imagine to be minimal resources.

Say, for example, 50 noobs suddenly appeared with a fiery thirst of an unquenchable nature to play Aetolia for 72 hours straight. Minia/Lodi/Evaslu/Gheladon would be overrun and you'd be frantically running around trying to find something to kill or complete a quest before someone kills the turn in mob! If there isn't enough to go around for everyone to DO, and I would imagine most people would be interested in testing out mechanics and abilities more than roleplaying, that could be bad.

I mean, the most obvious "solution" would be for newbie-land to be instanced, and you could SYNC with folks to go rampage through some holographic version of Minia and "killing" holo-projections of faeries. But it may not be viewed as a potential problem, either. Though if the lower levels are rapidly outgrown, it may not be horrible, either.
    Many of our quests used instanced items and denizens that are generated for the quester.
  • Qitorien said:
    New random question that I haven't found the answer to on the website, wiki, or forums, though it could very well be there somewhere...

How does time work in Starmourn? Is it like the other IRE games where it's comparable to real time and can be calculated simply enough? Will time work differently while on ships or depending upon which planet your character is on? Will there be any sort of regular time anomalies like you see in some sci-fi movies?

Actually, that makes me of another larger topic regarding the amount of the game spent on actual planets versus ships, but that'd probably be a better discussion for elsewhere.
    Time is centrally synchronised by the Ysaari to Galactic Standard time.
  • How soon will we be able to found custom player run organisations?
  • Since Starmourn was created from scratch, will it have under-the-hood functionality similar to the other IRE games: gmcp, item management (resetting, visible id #'s), Rapture, etc.?
  • zacc said:
    Since Starmourn was created from scratch, will it have under-the-hood functionality similar to the other IRE games: gmcp, item management (resetting, visible id #'s), Rapture, etc.?
    Yes!
  • Tecton said:
    zacc said:
    Since Starmourn was created from scratch, will it have under-the-hood functionality similar to the other IRE games: gmcp, item management (resetting, visible id #'s), Rapture, etc.?
    Yes!
    HUZZAH!
    Ataniiq
  • the nexus thing you got with all of your games, will it be the same with starmourn? 
    There's too much blood in my caffeine system
  • uric17 said:
    the nexus thing you got with all of your games, will it be the same with starmourn? 
    We'll have nexus available, yes. We may make some mods to the default layout to suit Starmourn a little better though!
  • Tecton said:
    Qitorien said:
    New random question that I haven't found the answer to on the website, wiki, or forums, though it could very well be there somewhere...

How does time work in Starmourn? Is it like the other IRE games where it's comparable to real time and can be calculated simply enough? Will time work differently while on ships or depending upon which planet your character is on? Will there be any sort of regular time anomalies like you see in some sci-fi movies?

Actually, that makes me of another larger topic regarding the amount of the game spent on actual planets versus ships, but that'd probably be a better discussion for elsewhere.
    Time is centrally synchronised by the Ysaari to Galactic Standard time.
    I appreciate the response. Partly I was wondering how it would relate to time IRL
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk
  • Will Starmourn have registration and the like upon release? So we can link our characters to an email? 
  • Jericho said:
    Will Starmourn have registration and the like upon release? So we can link our characters to an email? 
    Yep.
  • Will there be an Iron Elite version for Starmourn?
    Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.
  • Syaja said:
    Will there be an Iron Elite version for Starmourn?
    Whether there is at first or not, there will be at some point!
  • edited August 2017
    How major will experience loss be upon death? Are you still rolling with that idea? Or will death provide a different penalty than loss of levels/experience? 

The reason I ask is not because I don't like dying. I spent my early teenage years dying in World of Warcraft to camping in Stranglethorn Vale. I enjoy PvP. Dying doesn't bother me. What wears on my psyche is grinding. The grind to regain lost experience or to build up enough buffer so that when you siege a city, you can stand to lose a few levels worth of experience. I'm just curious on your thoughts about this. 
  • Jericho said:
    How major will experience loss be upon death? Are you still rolling with that idea? Or will death provide a different penalty than loss of levels/experience? 

The reason I ask is not because I don't like dying. I spent my early teenage years dying in World of Warcraft to camping in Stranglethorn Vale. I enjoy PvP. Dying doesn't bother me. What wears on my psyche is grinding. The grind to regain lost experience or to build up enough buffer so that when you siege a city, you can stand to lose a few levels worth of experience. I'm just curious on your thoughts about this. 
    We'll be releasing more info on this in the future, but don't worry, we're not going to make dying too painful!
This discussion has been closed.