Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starships in Starmourn!

AureliusAurelius Posts: 317Administrator Starmourn staff
Just put up a bunch of info on the basics of starships that you'll definitely want to read!

http://starmourn.com/starships

More will be coming with more screenshots and even video!
ArsentarCoenzymeQitorienTNA
«1

Comments

  • CoenzymeCoenzyme Posts: 25Member
    edited October 2017
    I am really excited about how you have to allocate limited energy and processing power to the different ship systems. It gives the potential for a wide variety of strategies! 
    QitorienRanuthTNA
  • ValariaValaria Posts: 12Member
    sexbot bar? haha
  • GrootGroot Posts: 32Member ✭✭
    I am Groot
    (While reading the post, it just makes me think of FTL...

    https://subsetgames.com/img/ftl/FTL_screenshot1.png

    Edit: pic was waaay too big, so now it's a link!)

  • SatomiSatomi Posts: 72Member ✭✭✭
    2 posts in before somebody noticed it :D 
  • RanuthRanuth Posts: 18Member
    Coenzyme said:
    I am really excited about how you have to allocate limited energy and processing power to the different ship systems. It gives the potential for a wide variety of strategies! 
    I'm going to have to design a Kith-based power source...
  • TNATNA Posts: 78Member ✭✭
    @Ranuth Wouldn't dark matter being black hole related (I assume this is the science starmourn is using judging by the term "gravitic") and the whole void kith thing make the dark matter reactors sort of void kith?

    @Aurelius Which also begs the science question... How far down the rabbit hole will starmourn be going on the "scifi" part. White holes and white matter? M-theory or some sort of scifi unified field theory?
  • TNATNA Posts: 78Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Could we maybe get a preview list of the superstructures?

    Will it be as simple as the classes being battleships, cruisers, destroyers, corvettes, interceptors with 10 models each or?

  • uric17uric17 Posts: 25Member
     the explanation was great, until i saw the ship status screen  because then i really got confused 
    There's too much blood in my caffeine system
    Traveler
  • RanuthRanuth Posts: 18Member
    TNA said:
    @Ranuth Wouldn't dark matter being black hole related (I assume this is the science starmourn is using judging by the term "gravitic") and the whole void kith thing make the dark matter reactors sort of void kith?
    Perhaps. But what about Star-Kith? I'm building a profile for a character (which I may or may not stick with) who is a young, passionate, human fury trying to make a name for himself. I would like to pilot a ship in much the same way as the fury is described, and integrating kith powers into my ship might be something he'll eventually try and do.

  • AureliusAurelius Posts: 317Administrator Starmourn staff
    Dark matter has nothing to do with black holes or void kith, for the record. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_matter
    AntidasPollivar
  • AureliusAurelius Posts: 317Administrator Starmourn staff
    Valaria said:
    sexbot bar? haha
    Space is a big, lonely place. Gotta have sexbots!
    Pollivarapol
  • AureliusAurelius Posts: 317Administrator Starmourn staff
    TNA said:

    @Aurelius Which also begs the science question... How far down the rabbit hole will starmourn be going on the "scifi" part. White holes and white matter? M-theory or some sort of scifi unified field theory?
    Only as far as we need to. :)
  • TNATNA Posts: 78Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    uric17 said:
     the explanation was great, until i saw the ship status screen  because then i really got confused 

    Which part is confusing?

    u/s is units per second... like AU or astronomical units, the distance from earth to the sun, though I doubt this is the unit in question.

    So read it like a water boat instead of star ship. Bearing is your direction, steering is how quick you steer, etc.

    Cycles is your shipsim and is "stamina/willpower" for an achaea comparison. Can only fire 8 homing missiles a volley/whack because they cost 1k cycles each and you already have 2k dedicated to running the ship out of the 10k available.

    Halons is obviously the power stat... so the ship makes 100k halons to add modules to, etc.

    The "kear" stat I'm unsure of. But it basically has 140k halons of charge to use and then has to recharge. Good for an emergency jump.

    EM on >HULL< is electromagnetic resistance (ions, EMP), like kinetic (bullet) and thermal (fire and lasers?).

  • AureliusAurelius Posts: 317Administrator Starmourn staff
    TNA said:
    uric17 said:
     the explanation was great, until i saw the ship status screen  because then i really got confused 

    Which part is confusing?

    u/s is units per second... like AU or astronomical units, the distance from earth to the sun, though I doubt this is the unit in question.

    So read it like a water boat instead of star ship. Bearing is your direction, steering is how quick you steer, etc.

    Cycles is your shipsim and is "stamina/willpower" for an achaea comparison. Can only fire 8 homing missiles a volley/whack because they cost 1k cycles each and you already have 2k dedicated to running the ship out of the 10k available.

    Halons is obviously the power stat... so the ship makes 100k halons to add modules to, etc.

    The "kear" stat I'm unsure of. But it basically has 140k halons of charge to use and then has to recharge. Good for an emergency jump.

    EM on is electromagnetic resistance (ions, EMP), like kinetic (bullet) and thermal (fire and lasers?).

    Unit refers to one room on the map. Halons are indeed the power stat - it's a measurement of power output over time, like a megawatt. A kear is a measurement of energy, like a joule. A halon is actually defined as 1 kear/sec of energy output, while a kear is defined as the amount of energy required to apply 1 fayad to something for 1 meter, while a fayad is the force needed to accelerate 1000 tons at 1 meter/sec ^ 2. 

    So basically, halons are like watts, kear are like joules, and fayads are like newtons, except ours are all much bigger because we're dealing with bigger numbers.

    Trivia: They're named after the three humans who discovered quantum power for humanity (this was before Earth disappeared....other alien races had long ago mastered the tech). Bao Kear, Linwood Halon, and Nadeem Fayad.
    QitorienTNA
  • TNATNA Posts: 78Member ✭✭
    Aurelius said:
    Dark matter has nothing to do with black holes or void kith, for the record. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_matter
    Not exactly true anymore... Two stellar black holes collided and they found the grav waves. The whole primordial-stellar line is beginning to blur. They are even talking MACHOs for dark matter again, just with new math. Which is crazy.

    https://arxiv.org/abs/1702.08275
    https://astrobites.org/2017/08/31/could-dark-matter-be-black-holes/
    https://gizmodo.com/mind-blowing-new-theory-connects-black-holes-dark-matt-1793710627

    Granted newer, but LIGO is changing things... rapidly. Even the infamous "they" are changing their tune...

    https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/nasa-scientist-suggests-possible-link-between-primordial-black-holes-and-dark-matter <- pay attention to the Last Updated: Aug. 4, 2017 Editor: Ashley Morrow

    I'm not trying to arguing the point here. If the game creator says we are going with dark matter, black holes, void kith not being linked than that is science of the world. I'm just talking science here.

    And derailing...

    Preview list of superstructures, please?

  • AureliusAurelius Posts: 317Administrator Starmourn staff
    Yeah, in Starmourn, they've got nothing to do with each other. Earth scientists are primitives who understand nothing. ;)

    No list of superstructures yet!


    TNA
  • TNATNA Posts: 78Member ✭✭
    Ranuth said:
    TNA said:
    @Ranuth Wouldn't dark matter being black hole related (I assume this is the science starmourn is using judging by the term "gravitic") and the whole void kith thing make the dark matter reactors sort of void kith?
    Perhaps. But what about Star-Kith? I'm building a profile for a character (which I may or may not stick with) who is a young, passionate, human fury trying to make a name for himself. I would like to pilot a ship in much the same way as the fury is described, and integrating kith powers into my ship might be something he'll eventually try and do.

    As Aurelius said, they have nothing to do with each other in Starmourn. Therefore ignore me.

    We DO still need to figure out a way to plug you into a reactor.
  • RanuthRanuth Posts: 18Member
    TNA said:
    Ranuth said:
    TNA said:
    @Ranuth Wouldn't dark matter being black hole related (I assume this is the science starmourn is using judging by the term "gravitic") and the whole void kith thing make the dark matter reactors sort of void kith?
    Perhaps. But what about Star-Kith? I'm building a profile for a character (which I may or may not stick with) who is a young, passionate, human fury trying to make a name for himself. I would like to pilot a ship in much the same way as the fury is described, and integrating kith powers into my ship might be something he'll eventually try and do.

    As Aurelius said, they have nothing to do with each other in Starmourn. Therefore ignore me.

    We DO still need to figure out a way to plug you into a reactor.
    Yeah, I'm gonna need an engineer buddy.
    TNA
  • SairysSairys Posts: 129Member ✭✭✭
    Initial values for Hull and Cargo are both determined by the superstructure yeah? 

    Made the assumption that they are but just wanted to make sure.
    Avatar by berserkerelf!
    TNAAurelius
  • Oogah_ChakhaOogah_Chakha Posts: 57Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Probably my favorite article released yet, can't wait to settle into my bridge with a bulb of whiskey and a full cargo hold of contraband.

    I see in the ship-info we can designate a first mate. On a mechanical basis for the game, what does this mean? Does it give someone else the ability to pilot and/or make changes to our modules and systems?
    Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall set me free.

    ----
    Almost dead yesterday, maybe dead tomorrow, but alive, gloriously alive, today.
    ----
    I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

    CoenzymeTNAQitorien
  • TNATNA Posts: 78Member ✭✭
    Probably my favorite article released yet, can't wait to settle into my bridge with a bulb of whiskey and a full cargo hold of contraband.

    I see in the ship-info we can designate a first mate. On a mechanical basis for the game, what does this mean? Does it give someone else the ability to pilot and/or make changes to our modules and systems?
    Q: That’s too bad. Vampires are awesome. What else are you guys working on right now?

    A: This is going to sound potentially boring but is actually kind of great – we’re building a generic permissions system that will let us attach sets of permissions to everything from books to areas to achievements to abilities etc etc and will also allow players to do the same with things like their ships, doors, and so on. If you’re familiar with, for instance, setting permissions on your door in Achaea….this is much more versatile and powerful.

    From the Aurelius self interview.

    Maybe something to do with this?
  • bairlochbairloch Posts: 134Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Does the shipsim have any personality? Or would that be a waste of precious cycles? Is it a module we could add?
    Out-there idea: link it to a skype chatbot or something of the like for pre-built silliness.
  • AureliusAurelius Posts: 317Administrator Starmourn staff
    Probably my favorite article released yet, can't wait to settle into my bridge with a bulb of whiskey and a full cargo hold of contraband.

    I see in the ship-info we can designate a first mate. On a mechanical basis for the game, what does this mean? Does it give someone else the ability to pilot and/or make changes to our modules and systems?
    Ahh, that's actually a holdover from way back. I'm not sure we'll keep it. It was just there for flavor.
  • AureliusAurelius Posts: 317Administrator Starmourn staff
    bairloch said:
    Does the shipsim have any personality? Or would that be a waste of precious cycles? Is it a module we could add?
    Out-there idea: link it to a skype chatbot or something of the like for pre-built silliness.
    No. Any personality we added would quickly get irritating because we don't have the bandwidth to really build out the massive number of responses you'd need for it not to get annoying. It'd be nice though. Heh, hooking it up to a skype chatbot would be hilarious. I'd love to see that someday, but that's very much a 'someday' project.
  • PollivarPollivar Posts: 61Member ✭✭✭
    It might be interesting to be able to set a first mate for some kind of minor bonus - a novice who doesn't have a good ship of their own but still wants to help, e.g. To get someone into the ship combat without needing them to be rich yet! I know the design goal is 'everyone has their own ship', but that sounds like a good way to get people to make friends by giving people, say, a small boost to one ship system by having a friend. It'd DEFINITELY be more efficient to just have ANOTHER ship with you, but, like I said, noobs.
    QitorienTNA
  • AureliusAurelius Posts: 317Administrator Starmourn staff
    edited November 2017
    Yeah, that's not a bad idea. Maybe a really small bonus to max speed or acceleration or something.

    That said, what I'd rather do is allow the captain to assign other people responsibility for doing X I think. For instance, maybe the captain wants to do the flying, but allocates the weapons systems to someone else. 
    ArsentarQitorienTNA
  • SatomiSatomi Posts: 72Member ✭✭✭
    And that is how Starmourn became more like Star Citizen
    TNA
  • bairlochbairloch Posts: 134Member ✭✭✭
    Satomi said:
    And that is how Starmourn became more like Star Citizen
    Actually, I was thinking FTL.
    TNASatomi
  • uric17uric17 Posts: 25Member
    Satomi said:
    And that is how Starmourn became more like Star Citizen
    is that good? because when i saw a gameplay video of star citizen people said it would be like no man's sky and i don't think it's good
    There's too much blood in my caffeine system
Sign In or Register to comment.