Skip to content

Hunting and Clone costs

I am not typically one who would rant or moan but I feel this has to be said. I'm level 36 and a BEAST. I have been hunting in The Saksar Jungle on Hororeon since level 30 with no issue, until today. 6 deaths and over 5000 marks down in clone costs for a little over an hours play is ridiculous. I'm hunting the same things I've been hunting since level 30 and now I'm getting owned by the coiling skilth snakes and packs of small sharp-toothed reptiles. Something has seriously gone down in regards to BEAST hunting. I shouldn't have to resort to level 20-30 areas as a level 36 after levelling the last 6 levels with no trouble before tonight.

Comments

• Welcome to how it feels to hunt as every other class (except maybe squish fury).
    Eukelade gives you a peck on the cheek.
  • What's squish fury? 
    "You know what the chain of command is? It’s the chain I go get and beat you with ’til you understand who’s in ruttin’ command here."
  • I've lost over 80,000 marks from my clones and i gave someone 48,000 marks for a wedding liscene..  it's not a crippling blow 
  • Some areas are harder than others. I've never heard of that place you hunt. I just hunted in the Golpur Desert and only died when I stopped paying attention and a hostile spawned.
  • Just don't die 4head
  • I've slept on it, doing much better today. I'm going to chalk it down to trying to bash on the evening after coming off night shifts. I can't have been paying enough attention/reacting quick enough.
  • Protip: Hotkey glancing and crashing. I use ctrl + numpad dirs to glance and alt + numpad dirs to escape. I still get stupid deaths but walking head first into danger or being too slow to escape it has diminished significantly.

And yes, being very tired is the same as being drunk with what effect it can have on your reactions. :(
  • edited January 2019
    I've made a grand total of 8k marks between level 20-26, which quite frankly is peanuts. So yes, I agree something has to change. I would rather junk value was decreased and clone costs just didn't exist.

For reference:
    Mob Kills 1833
    Deaths to Mobs 44

"They are elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty."
    — Oscar Wilde

"I'll take care of it, Luke said. And because he said it instead of her, I knew he meant kill. That is what you have to do before you kill, I thought. You have to create an it, where none was before."
    — Margaret Atwood

• @Kestrel what are you killing? I just hit 29 and I've probably been making at least 5k per level.
    "You know what the chain of command is? It’s the chain I go get and beat you with ’til you understand who’s in ruttin’ command here."
  • edited January 2019
    I leaned heavily on incursion income to offset my cloning until level 40. Only then did my junk income become enough to keep pace with death.

Not totally bad for me. I got Level 12 Captaincy that way, too.
    Mereas Eyrlock
    "They're excited, but poor."
    - Ilyos (August 2019)
  • edited January 2019
    Kax said:
    @Kestrel what are you killing? I just hit 29 and I've probably been making at least 5k per level.
    I've been alternating between every area that's listed as 20 to 30. Both because I like to explore areas top to bottom while I hunt, discover all the quests, and because I want to determine which is the best area to hunt in before I settle.

Lowtown and Kashitir for example really don't feel level appropriate for 20-30. In either of these areas if you get aggro'd by more than one thing at once, you're pretty much fucked. I gave up on exploring these places until I'm a higher level.

EDIT: Also of note, I am a Scoundrel, so a bunch of my marks from junk have been depleted making IEDs.

— Oscar Wilde

"I'll take care of it, Luke said. And because he said it instead of her, I knew he meant kill. That is what you have to do before you kill, I thought. You have to create an it, where none was before."
    — Margaret Atwood

• Yeah, I spent a long time at Janilyn in the vuu farm or whatever because there are no aggro mobs there. Now I'm at Biloxan/Locorin Swamp...the only aggro mobs are the coroxodons, and there are only a few rooms with more than one. I don't visit those or the little caves that have like 14 coroxodons each.
  • I thought the same, until I focused on efficiency while bashing and stopped dying so much. Dor attack won’t work very well in SM until you’re bigger and hunting lower areas.
  • if you can't use a jetpack, put in the lessons needed to do so. Then fly where you would otherwise crash. You'll survive way more.
  • juno said:
    if you can't use a jetpack, put in the lessons needed to do so. Then fly where you would otherwise crash. You'll survive way more.
    Most of the deaths were out of nowhere, random aggro mob walks in, fire my jumpjets, both mobs attacks land before I’m out of range and ‘ded’ but I’m doing much better now I’m rested. Only had to pay for four clones today but thankfully I’m still 6k up on marks.
  • Kestrel said:

Lowtown and Kashitir for example really don't feel level appropriate for 20-30. In either of these areas if you get aggro'd by more than one thing at once, you're pretty much fucked. I gave up on exploring these places until I'm a higher level.
    This is true of the game's aggro mechanics generally. Combat is tuned so that you can't really fight anything 1v2, unless you're pretty decently higher level or you've found some kind of cheese...
  • I’m gonna strut some of my bashing privilege here and say I am SO glad I got to 75 before a lot of these changes. Even at 75 I died when messing around in Anemoi. It’s a rough thing right now and my heart goes out to all of you still grinding that grind.
  • -waves pitchforks-
  • edited January 2019
    So @Kax. Where the hell are you getting 5k per level?

I decided to spend Level 32 doing nothing but bashing, all the way to L33. Sold/scrapped all my junk beforehand, started with a bandolier full to the brim of IEDs, weapons at full health etc. I also timed how long it took. Here are my stats:

L32 — Golpur Desert

1 hour and 20 minutes

PIECE: 55% damage taken
    Junk:  4882
    Scraps: 642 (2 total)

Deaths: -1600 (2*800)
    Repairs: -196
    IEDs: -256 (128 used)

DPS: 117 (57 with downtime included)
    Efficiency: 50%

Total earnings: 3472

Of note, at this level, making IEDs consumes about 5% of your junk value so that you can bash as a Scoundrel. That fucking sucks. @Tecton please consider fixing, or giving Scoundrels a new and unique, class-based means of generating income. Such as being able to steal marks from the terminals they hack.

— Oscar Wilde

— Margaret Atwood

• Kestrel said:

Of note, at this level, making IEDs consumes about 5% of your junk value so that you can bash as a Scoundrel. That fucking sucks. @Tecton please consider fixing, or giving Scoundrels a new and unique, class-based means of generating income. Such as being able to steal marks from the terminals they hack.
    Give -everyone- the ability to make marks from hacking! I'd like that.
  • Desmond said:
    Kestrel said:

As long as Scoundrels get 20% more to offset IED costs. :(

— Oscar Wilde

— Margaret Atwood

• Kestrel said:
    Desmond said:
    Kestrel said:

As long as Scoundrels get 20% more to offset IED costs. :(
    Scoundrels aren't REALLY the rogues of Starmourn, they're flashy gunslingers, not thieves.
    But IED costs are a bad idea from my point of view, there's already way too many sinks for marks in the game, class specific ones are quite nasty to have.
  • In my 30s, I hunted Saksar exclusively. Try to avoid the aggressive predators and reptiles if you can (flight is a good way to escape if you get into trouble), or kill them if you can manage it already. I think I even stayed in Saksar until level 45, was a not-bad place.
    Mereas Eyrlock
    "They're excited, but poor."
    - Ilyos (August 2019)
  • edited January 2019
    I mean you don't HAVE to bash with IEDs... I just tested out quickload and it seems pretty good now; it's got a 1s reload which pretty much minimises downtime. Especially if the mob's almost dead, you can quickload + crackshot in the same time it takes to fling the ripper.
    eta: I did the math here. It's not even remotely as bad as you seem to be under the impression it is.
  • Maruna said:

I mean you don't HAVE to bash with IEDs... I just tested out quickload and it seems pretty good now; it's got a 1s reload which pretty much minimises downtime. Especially if the mob's almost dead, you can quickload + crackshot in the same time it takes to fling the ripper.
    At that level (32), crackshot did an average of 235 damage (which is 94 DPS) and IEDs did 475 in total (250 on fling, 225 DoT - which is 158 DPS). I mean, it doesn't even compare. If the target's almost dead then sure, but no other class has to make the choice between cost efficiency and hamstringing their bashing speed.

— Oscar Wilde

— Margaret Atwood

• edited January 2019
    I said it's an alternative, if the cost seems to be as big of an issue as you're making it out to be. (it's not a huge issue, 5 minutes of bashing gets you enough IEDs to last hours)
  • I haven't spent much time bashing since I hit 30, but it definitely seems like I suddenly started making less. I was in Locorin till 30, and I've been hitting Gunurash since.
  • Maruna said:
    I said it's an alternative, if the cost seems to be as big of an issue as you're making it out to be. (it's not a huge issue, 5 minutes of bashing gets you enough IEDs to last hours)
    Not at lower levels, like mine.

— Oscar Wilde

— Margaret Atwood

• edited January 2019
    Kestrel said:
    Maruna said:
    Not at lower levels, like mine.
    My math was done around your level. In Saksar, to be precise. Just some napkin math to iterate a point, though...
    3 mobs per minute (doable in Saksar), at ~35 average marks per kill (also about right for Saksar and Gunurash). 15 mobs in 5 minutes is more than doable, you're doing something seriously wrong otherwise. That comes out to 525 marks, or 262/263 IEDs.
    Your bashing combo works out to be around ~21 seconds (counting the IED fling) assuming you're using rapidfire on cooldown, and not trying to hunt with Unload. So that's about 171 IEDs if you hunt for an entire hour with 0 downtime (unlikely)
    To further iterate a point, let's presume you're keeping 3mobs/min for the entire hour (55 minutes, if we're not including those first 5), that works out to 165 mobs per hour (about in-line with what I was doing, actually) - at 35 average marks per kill, that works out to 5775 marks. Realistically, probably ~5.3k, with roughly 90 IEDs still left over.
    Topping IEDs off (410 IEDs) is 820 marks. So you're at a net gain of ~4500 marks. Again, this is within probably ~5-10% of exactly the numbers I was pulling at that level. Much lower would imply you died, which has nothing to do with Scoundrel's costs.
    Tada, that 500 IEDs is going to last you another 3 hours of hunting.
  • I stopped flinging entirely. I just spin or kneecap now to reload. Much happier, still kill in about the same time.