Skip to content

Race Reset

edited January 2019 in Feedback
Is there a chance we can get a single race reset, while in open beta?

Is it just me? I quickly picked a race at launch but not happy with it, but I have already spent credits on the character so cannot reset or create a new alt.

Comments

• I'd be happy if this persisted outside of beta.
  • I’d super love to be a Nusriza instead of a human. I’m surprised this wasn’t an artifact, at least.
  • Honestly think everyone should get one free reset and have the ability to get more through genetics mods etc.
  • A one-off would suffice for me as well.
  • I was mostly joking before when I said this, but...

There is nothing more postmodern than literally changing your species/race.
  • edited January 2019
    I mean, it is only a matter of time before someone uses aesthetic body modifications as an excuse to give themselves characteristics that they find cute/terrifying/cool or would be otherwise specific to another race. Heck, I'm even half-tempted!
  • Gendering kits for Decheerans incoming in 3, 2, ...
    "You know what the chain of command is? It’s the chain I go get and beat you with ’til you understand who’s in ruttin’ command here."
  • No offence, but I consider that a pretty selfish attitude. Someone later on might make a mistake and then seriously regret it later, and because they weren't in our beta period of free stat resets, free class resets, free race resets, they'd feel dissatisfied for a very long time. 

I've made this clear in the past, but I consider someone's personal enjoyment to be above most other things.

If someone really feels uncomfortable playing a race, or feels like another race would fit them better, let them swap. Do it once only, sure. Make it a considered decision. Let it happen though.

Let people decide to live as another race because they decide they like the culture a lot more. Make them have a mandatory culture tutorial. Whatever you want. It's not as if this is some bizarre impossible thing that's totally impossible due to the constraints of technology or something.

That's my piece.

Also, Gender Decheerans.
  • I mean, it's Gender, not sex. Give us a certificate or form to sign. Pow. Now you're a her, or a he, or a they...
  • Racial changes make sense to me during novicehood and/or a certain time investment in game. Let newcomers explore the world and then fully embrace a culture when they have to actually pay for those clones.
  • Minion said:
    Racial changes make sense to me during novicehood and/or a certain time investment in game. Let newcomers explore the world and then fully embrace a culture when they have to actually pay for those clones.
    I'd be okay with that too.
  • Matlkael said:
    Yep, there can be a happy medium here. Allow race resets until maybe level 15, and then you're locked in.

There's also an available RP reason for it, too: before level 15, your clones are free. And because it's free, HETE doesn't care as much if they put you in a proper body (yay capitalism!), hence race mismatches.
    A+ 

I seriously love that reasoning.
    Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.
  • "Sorry. We ran out of human. There's so many of you squishy bastards running around dying that they're on backorder."
  • +1 for a one-time novicehood reset, combined with a beta reset to make everything fair.
  • I too support a one time reset (for all novices) and I'd be cool with an artifact to allow an additional one time change. Not a fan of constant swapping since it isn't needed for stats but if added it won't ruin the game for me. I think modding or swapping your 'meatsack' is fine in a sci-fi setting.

Also support the same for gender. One time free (plus rename?) and rest as arti. See previous argument about 'meatsack' modification.
  • Vielar said:

I have... A sneaking suspicion neither you 'nor the three people liking your comment understand what that means in any context, and it made me chuckle a little to see.
  • Who are you arguing with, @Wuff?
  • edited January 2019
    I don't really get the point of not making race changes accessible, be it via artifacts or otherwise. It has no mechanical impact, and therefore if someone chooses to change their race, it should make zero difference on how you play the game. If someone doesn't want to "embrace the culture" of their race, who cares.

That being said, I would personally be interested in having it available through novicehood as well as one freebie for the beta. But if I change my mind again, I don't think it's unreasonable to want for an alternative to, you know, rolling an entirely new character because someone else might be offended by the idea.
  • edited January 2019
    Arsentar said:
    The argument is that the race of your character should be important decision. If it becomes something you can easily, or at all, change, then it becomes irrelevant and inevitably leads to cheapening racial roleplay.

I honestly can't say I disagree. Mostly just think novices (and everyone who has participated in the beta) should have the opportunity to say once, 'Actually, you know what, I think that race over there fits my character better."
    It's fine for people to place that kind of importance on their race, but it should also be fine for others to not be held to the same expectations. For some of us, it really is irrelevant to a point, and that should be okay. If you (the general you, not you you) don't like the potential ability to change your own race, don't change your own race, know what I mean?
  • edited January 2019
    How much you personally adhere to racial culture and RP is up to you. That is a personal character choice. There are plenty of instances of this, with female-presenting Deecherans, Jin who ignore T'rath lore, W'hoorn who don't live by physical dominance, space weebs, etc.

That is also different than introducing game lore that race is an interchangeable and irrelevant commodity, which impacts people via world-building than just those who choose to make use of the service. 
  • No one is asking to introduce game lore that race is an interchangeable and irrelevant commodity, so far as I can see.