Skip to content

On faction enemies and pvp

If this has been answered in specific terms already, I'm sorry! I swear I searched!

I have some questions that seem to be common questions among many people I've spoken to. And I have asked and issued and only gotten vague responses. I asked in an issue if we can attack faction enemies specifically on our main base/main stations. I got a generic response saying "In regards to issue #772: If there's other valid reasons to attack someone, you can attack them. You can't just go and attack someone out in the world just for being a factional enemy and nothing else."

Okay, let me clarify. They are on my station, so they are trespassing (I think?). Is trespassing an "other valid reason". Potentially, they are also trespassing and being asked to leave, and refusing to leave, is that valid reason? Or do we just have to use guards and stand and watch? Or if he defends himself against our guards, at that point is it a valid reason?

Given the faction in question is Scatterhome and the enemies are Scatterhome enemies..
Are these valid reasons if they are on our main station (Reynolds)?

Are these valid reasons if they are on our main base (Haven)?

Are these valid reasons if they are on other Scatterhome territory (Such as somewhere in the Tethan System)? If this is trespassing and you can be forced to leave/attacked, this makes being enemied a  bigger deal, limiting safe hunting areas, and a lot of people have shown concern about this.

The first two seem extremely obvious to me, but I am getting adamant people disagreeing, so it must not be that clear. The third is unclear to me. And very much in need of answering, in my opinion. I don't like feeling like I have to guess at the rules and possibly miss out on a potential fun rp/pvp situation because I am worried about administrative punishment.

Comments

• I would have thought the first 2 are a clear yes, especially if they were asked to leave first.

Third one is tricky. Since there's main questline stuff in SH. But if SH ever puts high alert ships in their territory again, those will also attack non-Shatterhome people that try to do the quest. Could also put guards there, if you wanted to be really mean about it...
  • This becomes difficult as bashing areas are gated to factions. Song has both level 50 areas. Celestine has half the level 15 ones. 

Some flexibility I think is needed when it comes to these territories and enemies that aren't otherwise causing harm. It's too easy to hold whole areas ransom in bad faith and force Admin to create workarounds. 
  • Eshe said:
    Some flexibility I think is needed when it comes to these territories and enemies that aren't otherwise causing harm. It's too easy to hold whole areas ransom in bad faith and force Admin to create workarounds. 
    While I agree and so far the factions have been pretty chill about it once they figured out what different stuff does...

But. I also kind of want these things to be thought about sooner than later. What if some future faction leader decides to put a bunch of high alert ships guarding their home space, guard stacks on all of their station docks/hubs, etc...

Basically I don't think the system design should assume everyone's going to act in good faith forever...
  • Shinonome said:
    Eshe said:
    While I agree and so far the factions have been pretty chill about it once they figured out what different stuff does...

But. I also kind of want these things to be thought about sooner than later. What if some future faction leader decides to put a bunch of high alert ships guarding their home space, guard stacks on all of their station docks/hubs, etc...

Basically I don't think the system design should assume everyone's going to act in good faith forever...
    Oversight/reconsidering the planetary hostages is needed, especially since Song's enemying anyone who leaves, including novices, and earlier people were enemied to Scatterhome for Cosmpiercer participation. The bad faith's already started. It's a pretty glaring system design flaw.
  • Tecton said:
    We'll be adding a secondary set of transports from the voidgates in the subsec to the non-factional areas (racial homeworlds, quest areas etc.) very shortly.

In regards to the pvp question posed above, if someone is in your factional capital while a factional enemy, and causing trouble, definitely, rip em a new one. And once the additional transports are in shortly, even trespassing at all is probably grounds to attack an enemy, since they have other non-tresspassy options, so being there is definitely an act of aggression.

That's great news, thanks.
  • Suckers with their home worlds. Jin's homeworld is Scatterhome! MUAHAHAHA!