Skip to content

Medium incursions in a corvette

Tried this out, and...

* So most of the attacks just bypass my shields? O..k. Leaves my shields feeling just a little useless.
* Holy sheet did my ship take a ton of hull damage. Is this thing made of paper?
* ...Repair kits only restore 2~3% hull per?

I feel like some tweaking needs to be done here. In particular, corvettes don't really feel tough enough to warrant shields getting bypassed so frequently. And taking just a few hits consumed all 30 repair packs I had on me, and still didn't fully repair my ship.

Comments

• edited January 2019
    Counter point: corvettes are only one step up from Interceptors on a ladder that has ten rungs. If Corvettes were able to handle medium incursions, and Light Freighters able to handle hard ones, there’d be no point in ever saving/grinding up to obtain a Destroyer, let alone a Supercruiser.

Easy and hard may seem relative in these early days of Starmourn, but I for one think you shouldn’t be able to handle medium incursions until you’ve obtained a Destroyer, and should need a Supehauler or higher class ship to handle hard incursions.

This may seem like a lot considering only ten people in the game can even pilot a Destroyer just yet, but bearing in mind that the game hasn’t even been out for a month, I think this is a good thing.

"They are elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty."
    — Oscar Wilde

"I'll take care of it, Luke said. And because he said it instead of her, I knew he meant kill. That is what you have to do before you kill, I thought. You have to create an it, where none was before."
    — Margaret Atwood

• edited January 2019
    Also another thing to keep in mind: not all medium incursions are made equal. Fighting off a medium vonikin krel incursion would be very different to fighting off a medium mining drone one, just like in the easy levels.
    Mereas Eyrlock
    "They're excited, but poor."
    - Ilyos (August 2019)
  • Could probably do too with more variation in difficulty ratings. 
  • Counter point: corvettes are only one step up from Interceptors on a ladder that has ten rungs. If Corvettes were able to handle medium incursions, and Light Freighters able to handle hard ones, there’d be no point in ever saving/grinding up to obtain a Destroyer, let alone a Supercruiser.
    Right now it seems like they'd be easier to do in an interceptor, because of the shield bypass mechanic. This seems kinda dumb to me. Along with needing to pig out on repair kits like a fat man at an all you can eat buffet.

Easy and hard may seem relative in these early days of Starmourn, but I for one think you shouldn’t be able to handle medium incursions until you’ve obtained a Destroyer, and should need a Supehauler or higher class ship to handle hard incursions.

With the captaincy exp falloff from easy's, good luck grinding to destroyers from them....
  • Do you have autorepair on? Astromechs burn through repair kits way too fast with autorepair on.
    Eukelade gives you a peck on the cheek.
  • Tye said:
    Do you have autorepair on? Astromechs burn through repair kits way too fast with autorepair on.
    Nope.

But it doesn't matter when each kit is 2 or 3% repairs.
  • I’m jealous you could afford to build out a corvette.
    Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.
  • Syaja said:
    I’m jealous you could afford to build out a corvette.
    Learn from my mistake: Instead build an interceptor with 2 mediums and the best shields you can pack on it. You'll have a much easier time with medium incursions.
  • Oh trust me, I’m sitting on a corvette shell. Wish I’d waited.
    Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.
  • Just did another one. 3500 gross, 2900 spent on supplies... 600 marks profit. Technically profitable, but a big loss compared to ground bashing...
  • I'm at level 8 and even hard incursions only give me 3-4% per. I don't think these were ever intended to require the largest ships to beat.
  • I agree. Even in an interceptor, shields are bypassed way too much...
  • -- Updates - #52 --------------------------------------------------------------

Date:     01/07/2019 at 01:54

Author:   Tecton, the Singularity

Subject:  Small tweaks.

- The base chance for an attack to bypass shields has been lowered. This does not impact the size

differential element, just the static base chance.

- The Chion main quest elements will now correctly return you to the ship you flew in on, not your

first ship.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eukelade gives you a peck on the cheek.
  • edited January 2019
    ...can anyone try it out? I can try to find a medium real quick but I have raid starting soon...

edit: Fought a few binaries. Shields at least absorbed a few hits, so that's an improvement. Would like to try more on some less twitchy enemies, also I suspect they would be some of the smaller enemies... But even if it's all at the same rate as binaries, that will still cut supply costs by a lot. (Thanks Tec!)
  • edited January 2019
    Well... 3.4k marks on another medium one, still used 2200 in supplies not counting ammo, but it wasn't enough to get my ship back to 100%. But at least the shield gets hit sometimes, now...
  • Are repair kits a straight number of hull points or a percentage?  I was finding myself taking similar damage in my corvette, but repair kits only heal a very minor amount (like 1% per kit).  

We need dry docks in stations that can repair broken components and hull for cheaper — just a time commitment.

That, or players can use repair kits inside the ship and astromechs work without repair kits?
  • If we can't be shield tanks, I'd welcome anything that makes hull tanking not so expensive...
  • I would LOVE to see some sort of shield tanking vs. hull tanking option.  Makes ammo selection even more relevant, too.

-- Message #21 from Tecton --
    21000 IEDs? This is my sad lha-ti face. :(.

• EVE Online has taught me that hull tanking is a really, really stupid idea.