Skip to content

Space QoL

A short list of things I wish for regarding space:
1. Creation of an INCURSION NEAREST command to show you which incursion is closest to you.
2. Removal of the maxspeed part of ship thrust. Just make everything based off thrust.
3. If you try to fire a weapon and it's not active, just have the weapon activate automatically. Space combat is EXTREMELY hectic as it is.
4. Add the ability to thrust backwards at a slow speed. Yeah yeah REVERSETHRUST exists, but that can be easily fixed by having REVERSETHRUST instantly halt forward momentum then send you back, where as regular reverse works with the same inertia as all movement.

Comments

• I agree that space travel can use some tweaking. I’m not sure if backward thrust and/or automatic weapon activation might make it too simple though.

Activating weapons is really not that hard and they seem to stay active for a long time. Sometimes I forget and most of the time I remember. But that is one piece of ship strategy: being prepared.

As far as backward thrust goes, positioning is very important in ship battling and you can already turn around nearly instantly. I’m on the fence about that idea and I’ve actually thought about it before too, because it would take away a big headache from some ship stuff. 

Honestly, while space stuff can be tedious, especially the travel time to get places, what I would really want is just better value for the time put in, but that’s another discussion.
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk
  • Izrith said:
    A short list of things I wish for regarding space:
    1. Creation of an INCURSION NEAREST command to show you which incursion is closest to you.
    2. Removal of the maxspeed part of ship thrust. Just make everything based off thrust.
    3. If you try to fire a weapon and it's not active, just have the weapon activate automatically. Space combat is EXTREMELY hectic as it is.
    4. Add the ability to thrust backwards at a slow speed. Yeah yeah REVERSETHRUST exists, but that can be easily fixed by having REVERSETHRUST instantly halt forward momentum then send you back, where as regular reverse works with the same inertia as all movement.
    1) Nice one, do agree that we need something there to give you more indication about how close things are.
    2) Heh, this is how it used to work, but you had to spend so much time jockeying and modulating your speed, especially when you're doing precise maneuvers, it wasn't particularly fun. Or you had to thrust like 3% and it would take ages to get up to your desired slow speed. As it sits, you can set your max speed to 5% of max, 100% thrust, and you're there pretty much instantly.
    3/4) Unlikely for these at this point in time, but we do have other changes coming shortly that will explain why this the way it is!