Skip to content

While there are no Gods

One of the best aspects of IRE games, is the role play. One of the most rich drivers of that has been the Gods. Developers and administrators that(in addition to the behind the scenes aspects of the job) take on the RP role of Gods to add to the richness of RP and to push the narrative in certain directions. So my question is this. 

While there are no Gods, will developers and administrators take on permanent in character roles of some sort here for the same reason?  I think it’s loss would be detrimental to the world in game. 

Comments

• I believe Tecton mentioned something that the players had missed.

Ancient Powers/Elder Races/Y'saari. 

Empyreals seem dead and gone, a class feature at this point.

I don't quite recall, don't take this as gospel!
  • Tecton said:
    Tobias said:
    One of the best aspects of IRE games, is the role play. One of the most rich drivers of that has been the Gods. Developers and administrators that(in addition to the behind the scenes aspects of the job) take on the RP role of Gods to add to the richness of RP and to push the narrative in certain directions. So my question is this. 

While there are no Gods, will developers and administrators take on permanent in character roles of some sort here for the same reason?  I think it’s loss would be detrimental to the world in game. 
    Won't really be as buddy-buddy as Gods on the other IRE games, but yes, there's some plans there! 
    Would you go so far as to say there'll be some Tectonic shifts?
  • Maruna said:
    Would you go so far as to say there'll be some Tectonic shifts?
    How long you been holding on to that one waiting for the chance? ::awesome:
  • Tobias said:
    One of the best aspects of IRE games, is the role play. One of the most rich drivers of that has been the Gods. Developers and administrators that(in addition to the behind the scenes aspects of the job) take on the RP role of Gods to add to the richness of RP and to push the narrative in certain directions.
    Dunno what games you've been playing, but my RP experience with IRE god characters was limited to two scenario:
    1. Interacting with a Mary Sue egotist who is happy when placated (get those brown nosing emotes ready!) but will zap you mercilessly for failing to grovel enough
    2. Admin self-wankery where their Mary Sues do everything through world-wide visible poweremoting while players can only stand and gape in awe at how awesome all that shit was
    Starmourn does things differently than other IRE muds so if you're going to have admin-controlled NPCs, then I hope you do this differently than Achaea or Lusternia too.
  • Cubey said:
    Tobias said:
    One of the best aspects of IRE games, is the role play. One of the most rich drivers of that has been the Gods. Developers and administrators that(in addition to the behind the scenes aspects of the job) take on the RP role of Gods to add to the richness of RP and to push the narrative in certain directions.
    Dunno what games you've been playing, but my RP experience with IRE god characters was limited to two scenario:
    1. Interacting with a Mary Sue egotist who is happy when placated (get those brown nosing emotes ready!) but will zap you mercilessly for failing to grovel enough
    2. Admin self-wankery where their Mary Sues do everything through world-wide visible poweremoting while players can only stand and gape in awe at how awesome all that shit was
    Starmourn does things differently than other IRE muds so if you're going to have admin-controlled NPCs, then I hope you do this differently than Achaea or Lusternia too.
    Maybe I was spoiled but the IRE god characters I interacted with were definitely flawed and while they were significantly more powerful than PCs, they were respectful even when you disagreed. Sure, you were killed from time to time but it added to the tension of the interactions. For the most part, comparing them to the greek gods and how they interacted with mortals helped me put them into perspective. I am sure for someone who values their e-peen more than a well told story, they would see the god interactions as "self wanking".

That said, I dont think that style of admin interaction would fit well in SM. Looking forward to,seeing how this develops.
  • I enjoyed the gods in other IRE stuff, the only real issue was the artificial conflict that was created by some of them when players/cities weren't really into it.

To be fair, that did seem to be the purpose of gods for a while though.

Otherwise, that stuff was fun.