Skip to content

Community Tipjar

So I was thinking today about how every now and then I see something kinda cool that makes me want to support/endorse a member of the community, but my character is skint broke and I have limited ways of doing this.

An example of this would be @Devina's decision to offer descriptions for people who have trouble writing their own, or @Rhea's work on the Salute interviews.

Starmourn is such a fledgling community, and I think that it could benefit from all the early encouragement it can get. Ways for members to endorse/support each other early on could be really neat.

Here comes in the tipjar idea. Once per 24 hour period, you can anonymously contribute to a player's 'tip-jar' with a bit of positive encouragement. A few examples of this could be:

tip rhea I really like your work on the Salute, keep it up!

tip groot Thanks for making the station transfer map! It's really useful. <3

tip randomcombatant Hey, thank for taking the time to teach me a few things about Nanoseer combat! I really appreciate it.

You cannot tip the same person more than once per RL year, to prevent circle-jerking. So realistically, unless you can find a reason to tip 365 different people, you wouldn't even need to make use of your tipping capability as often as every 24 hour period.

Say I make a few funny news posts or organise a few community events and people contribute to my tip-jar for it. Any time I'm feeling blue, I can get a little boost of self-esteem by typing tipjar, which will show a list of all these nice messages people have left me. E.g:

tipjar
[01/01/2019]: Hey, thanks for taking the time to teach me a few things about Nanoseer combat! I really appreciate it.
[05/07/2019]: I had lots of fun RPing with you at Malice! Hope to run into you again there soon.
[12/12/2019]: Kudos for writing that news post, it contained lots of helpful tips.
Tipjar count: 2

OK, see that count at the bottom? I've received 3 tipjar contributions so far, but perhaps I've used one of them up by now and so only have 2 left. Further to this idea, tips should be something you can actually use! In a variety of small but helpful ways. You could have a list of selectable boons, such as:
  • +10% XP bonus for one hour
  • +50% ship speed bonus for one hour
  • +20% health bonus for one hour
  • +20% marks gain for one hour
Etc.

At my leisure, I can make use of the tips I've received to give myself a boon of my choice, using a command like tipjar boon xp for the XP boost. This will reduce my tipjar count, but retain the nice messages people have left me.

I think this would be a great way to bring the community together and create some positive vibes.

"They are elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty."
— Oscar Wilde

"I'll take care of it, Luke said. And because he said it instead of her, I knew he meant kill. That is what you have to do before you kill, I thought. You have to create an it, where none was before."
— Margaret Atwood

Comments

• People would abuse the system. Not everyone cares as much about the RP implications/community sense or acts as unjaded as you do.

Also, what kind of RP are you getting up to in Malice...?
  • Wuff said:
    Also, what kind of RP are you getting up to in Malice...?
    The best kind.

The system would be pretty hard to abuse, considering you can only tip someone once every 24 hours and you can't tip the same person more than once per RL year.

Further concerns could be easily mitigated to making it once every 24 hours across all alts, and requiring you to be registered to use it.

"They are elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty."
    — Oscar Wilde

"I'll take care of it, Luke said. And because he said it instead of her, I knew he meant kill. That is what you have to do before you kill, I thought. You have to create an it, where none was before."
    — Margaret Atwood

• There'd be people getting about 7+ tips in a day and rotating this round until everyone has one of each. Sure, it's only once a year, for an hour but still.

If you want to bring people together, try to run events that aren't lame/smallscale or such. Song had some great teamwork for a while with our group hunts and Cosmpiercer stuff. People bonded over that.

Run monthly stuff, weekly stuff and etc. There are a lot of ways to encourage a community to come together and feel a part of something.