Skip to content

Who canonically maintains the mindsims?

Hey ya'll -

See subject. I think it's the Y'saari? Not 100% sure though.

Comments

• They're maintenance-free once installed! Their useful lifespan is far longer than the meathusk they're stuck in. 
  • Aurelius said:
    They're maintenance-free once installed! Their useful lifespan is far longer than the meathusk they're stuck in. 
    Yeah but the Synchronization is run by someone and the software is updated-by-download somehow!

Who is in charge of that?
  • From what I can tell it looks open source. Zneer and Marvin are noted to have been developed by different groups.
    Come one, come all W'hoorn, to the Cultural Exchange where we can talk about being catbird klingons!
  • Aurelius said:
    They're maintenance-free once installed! Their useful lifespan is far longer than the meathusk they're stuck in. 
    Yeah but the Synchronization is run by someone and the software is updated-by-download somehow!

Who is in charge of that?
    Most of the commsphere is decentralized and there is no centralized control for it. Various companies develop the mindsim implants, the mindsim personalities, etc, and when they're backed up so they can be sync'ed later it's to a decentralized cloud, which is how most data is stored.
  • So, it's more like "Hey, as long as it is working correctly, who cares the how, who or why."
    (Scatterhome): Cal says, "We're called Scatterhome after what everybody does at the end of the night when it's time for someone to pay the bar tab."
    (Scatterhome): You say, "Which by my calculations, it's your turn to pay."
    (Scatterhome): Brantar says, "That's what my calculations have come to."
    (Scatterhome): Paavo says, "My math adds up to that, yeah."
    (Scatterhome): Cal says, "Bastards."
  • Maybe one day we can hack this data decentralized cloud and change a few things to peoples Mindisms. It would be so funny.
    (Scatterhome): Cal says, "We're called Scatterhome after what everybody does at the end of the night when it's time for someone to pay the bar tab."
  • Oh no... It's the roving conscious AI!!  It's how it's going to upload and kill us all!!!
  • Rkansas said:
    So, it's more like "Hey, as long as it is working correctly, who cares the how, who or why."
    Well, it's that in Starmourn (and quite possibly our own future too) commsphere data storage is distributed and decentralized, which has all sorts of advantages over a centralized cloud, like not having to trust a company with your data. With 21st century Earth tech, it has disadvantages too, like being potentially slower to access, but in Starmourn, those tech issues were solved long ago.

There are actually multiple efforts to do this going on right now in real life.
  • Aurelius said:
    Rkansas said:
    Maybe one day we can hack this data decentralized cloud and change a few things to peoples Mindisms. It would be so funny.
    In Starmourn, data is so secure you have to....wait for it....guess a dictionary word to hack it. IT'S IMPENETRABLE!
    Yeah, but it would be a fun little addition to in-game hacking. One might run into a some kind of back door to someone's Mindism while hacking a terminal and if they hack the anomaly correctly they can make someone's Mindism send some sort of false message or something. Something like Zneer all of a sudden being nice for a time and then an hour or so later he is fixed and is like, "Now that was an awful experience."
  • Guess a dictionary word, eh?  hmm bet it's password!
  • It's block chain like technology obviously. :)
    Download Montem System for Nexus Client - https://pastebin.com/MBEn7S0u
  • Hacking someone's mindsim would be an awesome way to implement a farsight equivalent. Have to hack a terminal, they're alerted to the hack, hack difficulty scales based on their hacking level, and you get their location on finish as well as regularly reported for x seconds afterwards.
  • Montem said:
    It's block chain like technology obviously. :)
    Urg, are we gonna have to deal with kithcoin and other random cryptocurrencies? 
    "You know what the chain of command is? It’s the chain I go get and beat you with ’til you understand who’s in ruttin’ command here."
  • Clearly Mindsims are protected by the GNU public license.
  • Now I'm imagining someone trying to build a mindsim from source like a future equivalent to Arch Linux and just scrambling their own brain the first time they connect.
    I'm gone.
  • Kax said:
    Montem said:
    It's quite possible/probable that at some point something like cryptocurrency took off in one or more planetary economies, but once the Y'saari locked down the Voidgates and insisted that they be paid for them in the Covenant Mark, it wasn't long before the Mark was the only meaningful currency. 
  • Aurelius said:
    Kax said:
    Montem said:
    It's quite possible/probable that at some point something like cryptocurrency took off in one or more planetary economies, but once the Y'saari locked down the Voidgates and insisted that they be paid for them in the Covenant Mark, it wasn't long before the Mark was the only meaningful currency. 
    I definitely wasn't expecting a serious lore response to my stupid joke...but that does make a lot of sense, now that I think about it. 
    "You know what the chain of command is? It’s the chain I go get and beat you with ’til you understand who’s in ruttin’ command here."
  • Aurelius said:
    Rkansas said:
    Maybe one day we can hack this data decentralized cloud and change a few things to peoples Mindisms. It would be so funny.
    In Starmourn, data is so secure you have to....wait for it....guess a dictionary word to hack it. IT'S IMPENETRABLE!
    *cough cough* Password Strength
  • @Groot True, but only because people often use crap passwords. A randomly generated password of equal length is substantially better than stringing together dictionary words.

I have to assume, too, that "in reality" (IC reality) cryptography is substantially more advanced than anything we've even thought of here on 21st century earth. <insert technobabble involving reverse-mapped torus matrices and zero energy proton gates>.