Skip to content

Does evasion really not work?

I've had some people tell me the same, but I can't seem to find a discussion here in the forums talk about it. Is it really not working? or perhapse just nerfed?
I'm Vianou, by the way.

Comments

• I haven't tested it, but maybe people don't understand how it works? 

From what I can tell, evasion doesn't increase the frequency of evades, it increases the damage reduction of successful evades.
    "You know what the chain of command is? It’s the chain I go get and beat you with ’til you understand who’s in ruttin’ command here."
  • edited December 2018
    Hmm. The criticism's understandable then. Since the invested points itself doesn't have an influence on on the chance of 'evades' the effect then wouldn't be as tangible as people would like. A combat could come and pass and it's quite possible that not a single 'evade' checks pass. Is this how it's done in other MUDS? It's my first one so I wouldn't have an idea.
    I'm Vianou, by the way.
  • Evasion runs into the same problem it does on any type of game, MUD or normal really. If I'm caring about damage reduction my main concerns are worst case scenarios and average cases. Worst case scenarios by definition don't apply evasion so it's useless there.

If I'm caring about average case then it tends to have too much competition. Generally you're either going to want to hit harder, heal harder, or grab another defensive that helps with the average case and worst case. 
  • Having more evasion makes it proc more often but it really doesn't seem worth it beyond 50.

Would be real nice if it made you avoid afflictions, but then it might be OP.

The reduced damage is negligible and the dodge rate is pretty small. It seems more cost efficient to load damage stats and lifeforce/regen.
  • I put all my points in evasion this morning as a test, and promptly went through 10 entire fights without it firing once.  Based on this limited research, it seems the return on investment is pretty poor.
    [Cassandra]: Poet will be unsurprised to learn that she has unread news.
  • According to the help file, more points in evasion only increases the amount of damage mitigation if it fires, not chance for it to fire.
  • @Minion, That's exactly the problem. This chances are too low. A single combat will most likely end without having a single evasion check passing, and thus any points invested in this stat is simply INTANGIBLE, at best.
    I'm Vianou, by the way.
  • Uhhh.. how can I flag this question as 'answered'?

I'm Vianou, by the way.