Skip to content

Nanoseer Balance

So, there seems to be... A bit of a disconnect when it comes to Nanoseers and combat. A few people now have raised issues with this ingame and in the discord. 

Engineers have the strongest utility with Heartstart and Wormholes, among other things.
Beasts are insanely painful, and also tanky.
Fury is incredibly painful, but not as bad as Beast.
Scoundrels seem to be in a pretty okay place? I've not had much experience. Maybe they're in a similar boat to nanoseers.

Nanoseers at the moment have some of their best features locked behind cooldowns or long balance timers or setup, and even with these, sometimes struggle to match with other classes.

I mostly want to throw this up for others to voice their concerns, like the freeze>swarm combo, and concerns with multistrike.

Comments

• edited December 2018
    [disregard, that was pure bashing. haven't touched combat.]
    Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.
  • My concern is largely that Sensory afflictions are so utterly subpar by comparison to the more physical-based subsystems like Muscular and Internal.

Muscular Subsystem afflictions include delaying movement by 2 seconds or increasing all balance times by 25% whereas Sensory, which Nanoseer places a heavy emphasis on, has subsystem afflictions such as Demented Vision (or Dementia from other games) and Disrupted Comms (a chance to make it to where the person can't hear comms at all). Couple this with afflictions like Deaf (which only blocks says) and Blind (which can be circumvented with the use of a mapper), I'm questioning the value of many of Sensory's afflictions. The only one I see value in is Blurred Vision since it can reduce damage by 10%. I'm not entirely sure if the Sensory affliction that can cause someone to hit an unintended target can cause them to hit themselves, but if not... that means it's useless for 1v1 combat as well.

In short, Sensory afflictions probably could use a look at since they're a part of Nanoseer's focus. As of right now, they're easily mitigated by a few lines of code and don't provide a real mechanical malus that pressures an opponent.
  • I think that the Multistrike needs a little work. It needs to attack rapidly three times in a row at once with moderate damage instead of one at a time which causes delays, because I kept dying a bit from using it. The delay of the multistrike caused me to be vulnerable without inputting any other attacks until after it's done when I recover balance. I was hoping Multistrike would help me damage more, but they're more like trying to input swarm three times slowly. I'll have to test it some more to see. I'm already feeling the burn trying to grind my way through trying to get XP, but so far Nanoseer is fun for me.
  • edited December 2018
    I've been hunting with an equal level (was mostly equal level but he's pulling away cause he does more damage and we hunt together 90% of the time on discord the whole time).  We've also been mostly equally geared the whole time.  I started tracking damage every fight and have done completely manual and completely automated fighting. Automated fighting is better in pretty much ever case because of 0% time loss.

Here's what I've tried in order of effectiveness:  (I always apply freeze when needed)
    Swarm
    Freeze -> Swarm
    Multistrike -> Freeze -> Swarm 
    Delay -> Multistrike -> Freeze -> Swarm
    Delay -> Freeze -> Swarm

I've also tried some frenzy but it's really random and for the most part slows the whole group down.

Here's what I found ->I'm level 32 and when grouping with a level 21 nanoseer and level 35 BEAST he does about 50% more damage than I do every fight.  And yes he's higher level NOW, but like I said it's mostly cause he does so much more damage and the damage gap is INCREASING (and not just due to levels, I've been watching it increase since level 10).

Now PvP:
    I've only a small amount of testing here.  I was able to get a few shatter kills but I MUST be doing something wrong.  It takes 4 hits to prep a limb and a 5th to break.  You have to break 3 limbs then also have 5 stacks of freeze.  So it's a prep AND momentum kill.  It was taking me an average of 25 hits to get this done, but once you prep you start getting freeze stacks, then you need to break, and you lose stacks while you break.  Again, I may do doing this wrong.

Here's what the BEAST does to win every fight without any effort:
    If (balance) {
      BLEED ATTACK
    }

He wins after about 6 attacks.  Last tick that does me in hits for about 650 bleed damage.  Bleed continues to stack if you use negation.

k.

That's about all the PVP testing I've done, which is not much. Maybe I'm missing something but.. wtf?

I'm willing to be doing everything wrong.  Please someone tell me I'm missing something.  I love the nanoseer concept. I hate feeling sucky.
    Download Montem System for Nexus Client - https://pastebin.com/MBEn7S0u
  • I feel like they need some option to WETWIRING MEND THESEGIANTHOLESINMYBODY  to help with bleeding specifically.
  • Syaja said:
    [disregard, that was pure bashing. haven't touched combat.]
    @Syaja I'd be interested to know your experience bashing.
  • edited December 2018
    I usually queue up Multistrike, then freeze. At level 27, that's gonna hit for around 230. Also, while I'm waiting those three seconds for multistrike and freeze to hit, I tick up a bit more health without yet being attacked.

Then I get a couple swarms in ranging from 210-260 generally. 

Then it's freeze, swarm swarm repeat. Repair. Next target. 

The other day though I was getting three swarms on freeze and that was far nicer.
    Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.
  • I'm curious. Can you use oblivion maladies to transfer the bleeding?
  • I'd imagine damage oriented classes are inordinately powerful at the lower levels because of everyone having lower health. Regarding bleed getting so high, though, are you prioritizing afflictions with your wetwiring? If not, you probably should.
  • edited December 2018
    I bashed faster as a Nanoseer than a Beast.

Also Freeze is a levelled affliction so the more stacks of it the longer it takes them to cure it off. I have had mobs at L3 freeze.

Delay Multistrike, Freeze till Mutistrike starts, they will cure one level of freeze before it strikes, and then swarm till dead. I have never had a mob cure frozen completely before dieing.

I had zero downtime as a Nanoseer, which I do as a plasma hunting Beast. I could mix in Nano repair for heals.

Nanoseer isn't supposed to be an in your face class like Beast. It's play style should be different.

Also, once you tie in Frenzy you are doing some solid damage.

25% boost over all damage for 5 hits is a damn good boost when Damage kills are still king right now.
  • Various Beast and Nanoseer combos, certainly not all of the possibilities, but enough to show that Time To Kill is almost the same.

Are some kills faster than others? Sure, though not by much. You are arguing over a couple seconds here.

Railshot Spam (15 Second TTK)
    =============
    You: MWP Railshot -> a meaty terraworm.
    Damage Dealt: 201 impact
    1370h, 1000pl -WC- Targ: Terraworm  <13:14:48.324>

You have recovered your balance.
    Damage Dealt: 218 impact
    1370h, 1000pl -WC- Targ: Terraworm  <13:14:52.434>

A meaty terraworm burrows into the ground below you. A moment later you feel a painful chomp on 
    your foot as it reappears.
    1162h, 1000pl -WC- Targ: Terraworm  <13:14:54.338>

Damage Dealt: 195 impact
    1222h, 1000pl -WC- Targ: Terraworm  <13:14:56.333>

Damage Dealt: 165 impact
    1282h, 1000pl -WC- Targ: Terraworm  <13:14:59.986>

Damage Dealt: 195 impact
    You have slain a meaty terraworm.
    1282h, 1000pl -WC- Targ: Terraworm  <13:15:04.880>

Hobble -> Pound (17 Second TTK)
    =================
    You: MWP Hobble -> a meaty terraworm.
    Damage Dealt: 139 impact
    1123h, 1000pl -WC- Targ: Terraworm  <20:17:39.236>

You: MWP Hobble -> a meaty terraworm.
    Damage Dealt: 180 impact
    A meaty terraworm falls to the ground!
    1173h, 1000pl -WC- Targ: Terraworm  <20:17:43.855>

You: Suit Pound -> a meaty terraworm.
    Damage Dealt: 192 impact
    1223h, 1000pl -WC- Targ: Terraworm  <20:17:47.439>

A meaty terraworm burrows into the ground below you. A moment later you feel a painful chomp on 
    your foot as it reappears.
    1014h, 1000pl -WC- Targ: Terraworm  <20:17:49.606>

Damage Dealt: 207 impact
    A meaty terraworm has cured the effects of Structure Collapse (L1).
    1014h, 1000pl -WC- Targ: Terraworm  <20:17:50.499>

Damage Dealt: 160 impact
    1064h, 1000pl -WC- Targ: Terraworm  <20:17:53.424>

Damage Dealt: 204 impact
    1064h, 1000pl -WC- Targ: Terraworm  <20:17:56.459>

Delay->Freeze->Swarm (19 Second TTK)
    ===============
    You: Nanotech Delay Prep -> a meaty terraworm.
    Quickly, you program a delayed multistrike attack into a single nanite in your swarm and send 
    it out to reprogram and self-replicate among the rest. Your swarm begins to grow and stretch, 
    purposeful tendrils reaching towards a meaty terraworm with a disturbing intelligence.
    Health: 1676/1685 -WC- Targ: Terraworm  <14:07:58.746>

You: Void Freeze -> a meaty terraworm.
    You brush your fingertips across a meaty terraworm's chest, and a rime of frost begins to steal 
    across its flesh as you drain the heat and energy from its body, freezing it in place.
    Damage Dealt: 115 draining
    Health: 1676/1685 -WC- Targ: Terraworm  <14:08:01.958>

You brush your fingertips across a meaty terraworm's chest, and a rime of frost begins to steal 
    across its flesh as you drain the heat and energy from its body, freezing it in place.
    Damage Dealt: 126 draining
    Health: 1685/1685 -WC- Targ: Terraworm  <14:08:04.831>

Scrunching up its body, a meaty terraworm suddenly releases a blob of goo that splatters all 
    over you, stinging as it finds flesh.
    Health: 1449/1685 -WC- Targ: Terraworm  <14:08:06.119>

Damage Dealt: 138 draining
    Health: 1516/1685 -WC- Targ: Terraworm  <14:08:07.885>

You: Nanotech Delay -> a meaty terraworm.
    After reprogramming enough of themselves and clustering thickly in a self-replicating mass, 
    your nanites surge forward towards a meaty terraworm, striking out at it!
    You: Nanotech Multistrike -> a meaty terraworm.
    You focus intently to direct a portion of your swarm towards a meaty terraworm, and they drift 
    towards it in the form of a silvery mist that surrounds it, glowing red from within as 
    thousands of microscopic attacks draw blood.
    Health: 1516/1685 -WC- Targ: Terraworm  <14:08:08.219>

A meaty terraworm has cured some of the effects of Frozen.
    Health: 1516/1685 -WC- Targ: Terraworm  <14:08:08.752>

You: Nanotech Swarm -> a meaty terraworm.
    Focusing on becoming more attuned to your swarm, you shift your fingers in the tiniest flicker, 
    urging a thick cloud of nanites to surround a meaty terraworm.
    The nanites strike more effectively on the frozen body of a meaty terraworm.
    Damage Dealt: 183 cellular
    Health: 1516/1685 -WC- Targ: Terraworm  <14:08:11.072>

You: Nanotech Multistrike Hit -> a meaty terraworm.
    The foggy mist of nanites surrounding a meaty terraworm swirls and shifts as their attacks 
    strike home.
    Damage Dealt: 85 cellular
    Health: 1516/1685 -WC- Targ: Terraworm  <14:08:11.751>

Focusing on becoming more attuned to your swarm, you shift your fingers in the tiniest flicker, 
    Damage Dealt: 234 cellular
    Health: 1583/1685 -WC- Targ: Terraworm  <14:08:14.010>

Moving more rapidly than seems possible, a meaty terraworm butts you with what must be its head.
    You skillfully avoid some of the damage!
    Health: 1361/1685 -WC- Targ: Terraworm  <14:08:14.213>

You: Nanotech Multistrike Hit -> a meaty terraworm.
    The foggy mist of nanites surrounding a meaty terraworm swirls and shifts as their attacks 
    strike home.
    Damage Dealt: 87 cellular
    Health: 1361/1685 -WC- Targ: Terraworm  <14:08:15.172>

A meaty terraworm has cured some of the effects of Frozen.
    Health: 1361/1685 -WC- Targ: Terraworm  <14:08:15.860>

Damage Dealt: 213 cellular
    Health: 1361/1685 -WC- Targ: Terraworm  <14:08:17.089>

Frenzy->Delay->Freeze->Swarm (16 Second TTK)
    ====================
    You: Oblivion Frenzy.
    A dark wave of madness rolls through your thoughts, and an impossibly vast mind seems to 
    descend over your own, the Conquerer arriving to drive you into a dangerous frenzy.
    Health: 1543/1685 -WC- Targ: Terraworm  <15:42:20.789>

You: Nanotech Delay Prep -> a fat terraworm.
    Quickly, you program a delayed multistrike attack into a single nanite in your swarm and send 
    it out to reprogram and self-replicate among the rest. Your swarm begins to grow and stretch, 
    purposeful tendrils reaching towards a fat terraworm with a disturbing intelligence.
    Health: 1610/1685 -WC- Targ: Terraworm  <15:42:24.275>

You: Void Freeze -> a fat terraworm.
    You brush your fingertips across a fat terraworm's chest, and a rime of frost begins to steal 
    Damage Dealt: 144 draining
    Health: 1677/1685 -WC- Targ: Terraworm  <15:42:27.038>

You: Void Freeze -> a fat terraworm.
    You brush your fingertips across a fat terraworm's chest, and a rime of frost begins to steal 
    Damage Dealt: 158 draining
    Health: 1677/1685 -WC- Targ: Terraworm  <15:42:29.994>

Moving more rapidly than seems possible, a fat terraworm butts you with what must be its head.
    Health: 1438/1685 -WC- Targ: Terraworm  <15:42:31.495>

You: Nanotech Delay -> a fat terraworm.
    After reprogramming enough of themselves and clustering thickly in a self-replicating mass, 
    your nanites surge forward towards a fat terraworm, striking out at it!
    You: Nanotech Multistrike -> a fat terraworm.
    You focus intently to direct a portion of your swarm towards a fat terraworm, and they drift 
    towards it in the form of a silvery mist that surrounds it, glowing red from within as 
    thousands of microscopic attacks draw blood.
    Health: 1505/1685 -WC- Targ: Terraworm  <15:42:32.070>

You: Nanotech Swarm -> a fat terraworm.
    urging a thick cloud of nanites to surround a fat terraworm.
    The nanites strike more effectively on the frozen body of a fat terraworm.
    Damage Dealt: 261 cellular
    Health: 1505/1685 -WC- Targ: Terraworm  <15:42:33.106>

A fat terraworm has cured some of the effects of Frozen.
    Health: 1505/1685 -WC- Targ: Terraworm  <15:42:33.825>

You: Nanotech Multistrike Hit -> a fat terraworm.
    The foggy mist of nanites surrounding a fat terraworm swirls and shifts as their attacks strike 
    home.
    Damage Dealt: 114 cellular
    Health: 1505/1685 -WC- Targ: Terraworm  <15:42:35.678>

You: Nanotech Swarm -> a fat terraworm.
    urging a thick cloud of nanites to surround a fat terraworm.
    The nanites strike more effectively on the frozen body of a fat terraworm.
    You break out of your frenzy.
    Damage Dealt: 249 cellular
    You have slain a fat terraworm.
    Health: 1505/1685 -WC- Targ: Terraworm  <15:42:36.151>

Douse->Combust->Burn (18 Second TTK)
    ====================
    You: Plasma Douse -> a meaty terraworm.
    You eject a mist of volatile accelerant at a meaty terraworm, coating it with the viscous 
    chemical.
    Health: 1878/2105 -WC- Targ: Terraworm  <13:45:20.105>

You: Plasma Combust -> a meaty terraworm.
    You unleash a potent gout of plasma at a meaty terraworm, causing flames to lick over its body 
    as its flesh ignites.
    Damage Dealt: 127 thermal
    Health: 1962/2105 -WC- Targ: Terraworm  <13:45:23.143>

You: Plasma Burn -> a meaty terraworm.
    You fire a blast of super-heated plasma at a meaty terraworm.
    Damage Dealt: 252 thermal
    Health: 1962/2105 -WC- Targ: Terraworm  <13:45:26.103>

Moving more rapidly than seems possible, a meaty terraworm butts you with what must be its head.
    Health: 1822/2105 -WC- Targ: Terraworm  <13:45:28.066>

Damage Dealt: 240 thermal
    Health: 1822/2105 -WC- Targ: Terraworm  <13:45:29.052>

Damage Dealt: 218 thermal
    Health: 1822/2105 -WC- Targ: Terraworm  <13:45:32.111>

Damage Dealt: 182 thermal
    Health: 1906/2105 -WC- Targ: Terraworm  <13:45:35.177>

Health: 1698/2105 -WC- Targ: Terraworm  <13:45:35.405>

Damage Dealt: 181 thermal
    Health: 1782/2105 -WC- Targ: Terraworm  <13:45:38.136>
  • Too early to tell, I think. We should revisit this when we're all at level 75 with level 75 gear.
  • Tasan said:
    My concern is largely that Sensory afflictions are so utterly subpar by comparison to the more physical-based subsystems like Muscular and Internal.
    Nanoseers are focusing more on mind afflictions than sensory ones, but sure, we can have a look at sensory ones at some point after the initial surge of bugs/etc is sorted out.
  • I don't know what level those TTK numbers were at. Seems like lower level. I notice things were more the same at lower level but the scaling damage for the classes it's what's way off. You guys are also doing some weird combos that seem incredibly inefficient. But maybe I'm wrong. Why would you ever delay a multistrike? Freeze has no effect on multistrike. 

Also my BEAST friend hits between 400-450 with hobble pound. 

Our TTK is much different than what you are seeing. 

Stacking multiple levels of freeze seem inefficient too. Since swarm hits for about 100-150 more damage then freeze at level 32. 
  • Nanoseers might be more affliction based than raw damage based. But like others have said, it's really too early to tell how the classes will fair and what balancing might need to happen.
  • Is plasma with nozzle wide?
    Is the extra 25ish% damage compared to my burn due to stats or douse?
  • Does anyone have coding for Mudlet to bash/pk with Nanoseer yet?
  • If the GMCP bugs I filed get resolved, yes. Was going to release my (very early build, but usable still) system today, until I found those.
  • Maruna said:
    If the GMCP bugs I filed get resolved, yes. Was going to release my (very early build, but usable still) system today, until I found those.
    Who can I contact you under IG?