Skip to content

Time!

Is time going to work the same as it does in other IRE games, where one hour equals one game day, and 25 hours equals one game month?
Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.

Comments

• I'm new to IRE muds, and have never played one with accelerated ic time versus real life time. Only asking out of curiousity but why is it some games accelerate time?
  • Tecton said:
    Mostly similar, we're locking in days of the month to real-life time, so the 16th of the month is 1600 gmt, so makes it a lot easier to coordinate in- and out-of game times
    I was hoping that would be the answer. :):) 

Hailfire said:
    I'm new to IRE muds, and have never played one with accelerated ic time versus real life time. Only asking out of curiousity but why is it some games accelerate time?
    I'm not sure. But the first time I saw someone's Achaean age of 50 I was like ... no one could have played this game that long, could they? If you start at 18... and did the math. Then I saw someone who was much older. lol. And figured out time was different there.
  • I think it's because people don't really want to play for years waiting for certain things to happen. Also, you can't be logged on constantly all day every day if you want to have a "real life" (do MUDders know what that is? :D ) so it allows people to be on at different times of the game's day which can have various effects. I'm sure there are other reasons
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk
  • Tecton said:
    Mostly similar, we're locking in days of the month to real-life time, so the 16th of the month is 1600 gmt, so makes it a lot easier to coordinate in- and out-of game times
    Could we lock it in as days of the week, or whatever passes for a week in Starmourn? There could be 6 days in a starmourn week, meaning each "day' would last 4 hours.
    Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall set me free.

----
    Almost dead yesterday, maybe dead tomorrow, but alive, gloriously alive, today.
    ----
    I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

• Tecton said:
    Could we lock it in as days of the week, or whatever passes for a week in Starmourn? There could be 6 days in a starmourn week, meaning each "day' would last 4 hours.
    Not something we're looking at changing (already all coded up), though I'm curious as to why you want slower time?
  • I can't speak for others, but for me, it's always been weird to have RP sessions take IG days. The rapid pace of time in IRE muds has always kinda weirded me out a little. 
  • There's definitely things that come up that sound weird RP wise... like my House interview lasted three days or I spent six months training to fight priests and I'm still shit at it. ;)
  • As they said, it's weird to RP things out with such a rapid pace of time. And some things only happen (in other games at least) during day or night. 30 minutes sometimes isn't enough time, especially if there is competition for whatever might be happening.

----
    ----
    I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    I will face my fear.

• Well, at least for Starmourn, we're in space, time is relative!

• Wibbly-wobbly

----
    ----
    I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    I will face my fear.

• Hailfire said:
    I'm new to IRE muds, and have never played one with accelerated ic time versus real life time. Only asking out of curiousity but why is it some games accelerate time?
    For Lusternia there are some mechanics based on the year passing, moon phases, and seasons that immediately come to mind.
    Skills that would be in a weakened state for weeks, benefits you would only have access to in that particular season.

Aetolia has vampires, which includes their weakness to sunlight (there are similar things in the other games as well), the detriments of their class could be constant for those in certain timezones.

And I believe most/all of the games have herbs which have seasonal growing patterns so again could be in decline for rl months at a time which could impact availability of cures.

Whether or not this is why the decision was made in the first place is something for @Aurelius. But it has enabled all of those features to be incorporated into the games.

• Wibbly-wobbly
    Ugh, no. If you're gonna have a Doctor, pick a good one. Best thing about 10 was Donna.
  • edited September 2017
    I'm chill with how it'll pan out.  I mainly ignore the date in Achaea unless it's for scheduling, but I'm in Satyr time in there anyway (do whatever whenever). 
  • edited September 2017
    Midkemia online had 3 hour days, I believe, and I think they were implemented to help out with vampires and the like. I took advantage of that to have a human significantly over 100 years old (I think he was a bit over 120 when the game shut down), with roleplay to explain why he was still alive. If we had a 1 hour day system, he would have been about 260 years old (which would be somewhat absurd for a human).