Skip to content

What is the nature of the relationship between Star and Void Kiths, respectively?

edited August 2017 in Questions and Answers
I think that the Light vs. Dark symbolic trope is apparent in the distinction between Star and Void Kiths. I believe much like Jung that certain archetypes are the manifestations of an unconscious collective in psychology.  Perhaps the most basic, and far-reaching of these archetypal images is that of light vs. dark. 'Light,' the ultimate creator, and 'dark,' the most industrious depiction of absent-any-light.  So, the two are in a sense defined in their opposition, at least on a physical level. Literature, and philosophy are built around this archetype, it's inextricably linked to the way good and evil are viewed, for instance. It is easy to compare Starmourn's Kith to Star Wars' Force, especially now, pre-release, while there is speculation about the exact nature of this energy. Of Star Wars one might make the argument that the traditional understanding of the Sith and Jedi relative to good vs. evil are actually reversed. This is to say that, the distinction of good and evil and light vs. dark are defined in relationship to each other, only. As players we are all going to bring subjective philosophies, understandings, and intentions into our characters and see the world through their eyes in completely different ways. It is entirely possible that one Void Kith alien could be making war against another Void Kith alien on the basis of a philosophical impasse, rooted in the nature of Kith, for instance. What seems more clear is that there is a conflict in the nature of Void and Stars. Kith as it is currently known comes from one cosmic event, World Breaking, where Kith being no longer contained by the Omega was absorbed by Stars and Black holes, respectively. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the lore, in roleplay, and if the developers have conflict in mind.
Pedagogical rumors of rumors fuel the cosmos

Comments

• Great post. I'm also really curious to see how the devs and the players will push this question. From what I've read, I've started to think of it as being similar to Order and Chaos in the Saga of Recluce series, though that might have more conflict than has been suggested so far.
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk
  • edited August 2017
    It's certainly not as simple as good vs. evil, or light vs. dark, that much seems clear. Both seem rather outside any sense of moral justifications. Though people could certainly form such philosophies, they seem rather irrelevant to the dichotomy that does exist.

It seems more like how their energy functions is the difference, rather than why. Like an external vs. internal impetus. Stars emit everything outward, where the void draws it all in. Or as far as any philosophy about it goes, perhaps it's (very loosely) more like Muad'dib described in Dune, one side that "gives" and one side that "takes."
  • It sounds more like the void kith removes energy and the light kith adds energy, sort of like the difference between subtractive and additive magic in the sword of truth series. But the Order and Chaos in the Saga of Recluse are not that far off the mark, from my understanding, especially in terms of the behavior the users typically exhibit. Also, Saga of Recluse ftw.
  • Scathain said:
    It sounds more like the void kith removes energy and the light kith adds energy, sort of like the difference between subtractive and additive magic in the sword of truth series. But the Order and Chaos in the Saga of Recluse are not that far off the mark, from my understanding, especially in terms of the behavior the users typically exhibit. Also, Saga of Recluse ftw.
    I was just thinking of the Sword of Truth series and Terry Goodkind's incredible descriptions of additive and subtractive magic in relation to @Wilmer's post. 

+1 
  • The physical distinction is simple. Star kith emits energy and void kith absorbs it. Any other moral, ethical, or quasi-religious interpretations are solely the creations of imaginative minds.
  • Dodger said:
    The physical distinction is simple. Star kith emits energy and void kith absorbs it. Any other moral, ethical, or quasi-religious interpretations are solely the creations of imaginative minds.
    Star kith and Void kith are remnants of the Empyreal Omega's destruction, who was the source of Wild kith. I do not think you can go as far as to rule out the above interpretations without knowing more about the origin. @Dodger
  • Ataniiq said:
    Scathain said:
    It sounds more like the void kith removes energy and the light kith adds energy, sort of like the difference between subtractive and additive magic in the sword of truth series. But the Order and Chaos in the Saga of Recluse are not that far off the mark, from my understanding, especially in terms of the behavior the users typically exhibit. Also, Saga of Recluse ftw.
    I was just thinking of the Sword of Truth series and Terry Goodkind's incredible descriptions of additive and subtractive magic in relation to @Wilmer's post. 

+1 
    Ahh... the Sword of Truth. The only book series I know of where you actively root for someone to kill the main characters...
    Recluse on the other hand.... Oh baby. Love that series. Magic via science or whatever and just damn good writing.
    That said, yeah, decent comparison, if it works that way.
  • It says in the Wiki that Kith users often mirror the kith that they wield. A star kith user is fiery and tempestuous while a void kith user is cool and collected. The Kith then, it seems, either affects the personalities and temperament of the wielders or people with those dispositions are naturally drawn to one kith or the other.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall set me free.

----
    Almost dead yesterday, maybe dead tomorrow, but alive, gloriously alive, today.
    ----
    I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

• It says in the Wiki that Kith users often mirror the kith that they wield. A star kith user is fiery and tempestuous while a void kith user is cool and collected. The Kith then, it seems, either affects the personalities and temperament of the wielders or people with those dispositions are naturally drawn to one kith or the other.

As far as a "good and evil" dichotomy, this example gives me the opposite opinion of polar associations. If compared to Star Wars, Star Kith more reflects Sith, and Void Kith the Jedi. This gives me the idea that's IRE is nodding to the Force ever so little, but turning it on its head in the process.
  • Just to be clear: There's absolutely no moral element inherent to void and star kith. Personalities may shift with extended use (may...there's no hard rule saying they will with an individual), but one isn't evil or good, one isn't chaotic or 'orderly', etc. They're just forces that some people and things can manipulate in various ways.

That said, there's no question that some cultures strongly align with one or another. The Ibyssian Brotherhood, for instance, doesn't tolerate star kith internally, and kills any of their members found exhibiting star kith aptitude. 

But, with the player races, none lean collectively one way or another (for obvious reasons).