Skip to content

Emotes and poses!

Will there be standard/non-standard emotes and poses, or other little things that contribute to a character's personality? 
Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.

Comments

• With a slight intake of breath, TBHW dropkicks @Ataniiq into action. "Be the change you want to see," she shouts.
  • I am Groot
    (While I'll be dropping the whole "I am Groot" shtick when I get my SM Groot character (It would break immersion if I did it poorly and too much of a pain to do it well), I really do hope there is a motto/warcry system implemented like other IRE's so I can keep at least a piece of "I am Groot")
  • Tecton said:
    Yes indeedy!
    More specific question (and another thing I'm used to on my "home" IRE mud but I don't know how common it is across the other games)

Would you be able to do a syntax like this? Maybe not exactly but similar in function:

Typing: intone to Tecton (Steepling her fingers as she gazes over to ^Tecton) You may fire when ready.
    You would see: Steepling her fingers as she gazes over to you, Shinonome intones to you, "You may fire when ready."
    Others would see: Steepling her fingers as she gazes over to Tecton, Shinonome intones to Tecton, "You may fire when ready."

Or basically... ability to target people, include emotes, different verbs to use... Example list:
    Assert, ask, brag, cackle, chant, chime, chitter, enunciate, exclaim, gasp, groan, grump, grunt, hiss, intimate, intone, lecture, lisp, moan, mumble, murmur, mutter, opine, orate, plead, proclaim, purr, rasp, rave, recite, remark, roar, scream, shriek, sigh, sing, snarl, splutter, squeal, stammer, state, stutter, ululate, utter, wail, whine, whisper, and yawn

• edited September 2017
    In IRE games I've played, it's a bit more versatile. By default, $players and @things, I believe.

Typing: (Steepling her fingers as she gazes over to $tecton,) intones to $tecton_him, "You may fire when ready."
    Tecton would see: Steepling her fingers as she gazes over to you, Shinonome intones to you, "You may fire when ready."
    Others: Steepling her fingers as she gazes over to Tecton, Shinonome intones to him, "You may fire when ready."

Your name is automatically inserted after the (). You can things like Shinonome's by simply adding an 's after the parenthesis like it's an actual word by itself. (Ladadeedaa) 's purple rain. > Ladadeedaa Shinonome's purple rain.

With the $players and @things, you can also have multiple people and things added into your emote.
  • Yes, you'll be able to target people and things in emotes, and prepend!
  • I wouldn't be surprised if the syntax changes, but still remains versatile. Where they're coding from the ground up, they have the chance to build upon the best parts of their other games code.
  • Ok, glad to hear that's basically a standard feature
  • edited September 2017
    And idea I used to lobby for in MKO was the ability to actually DO an action through an emote. The reason for this is, during long RP sessions when characters begin to suffer the effects of hunger or thirst, they might emote the action out and then spam everyone with the actual action. MKO also had multiple levels of sips. "sip" = 1 sip, drink = 2 or 3, gulp = 4 and I think draft drained the entire container.

An example:

emote grabs his #bulb12345 as it floats past him, taking a $drink(drink bulb12345) from it. With a satisfied cough he guides himself through the null gravity and $sits(sit chair12345) in #chair12345

Everyone would see:

Oogah Chakha grabs his battered bulb of whiskey as it floats past him, taking a drink from it. With a satisfied cough he guides himself through the null gravity and sits in the co-pilot's seat.
    Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall set me free.

----
    Almost dead yesterday, maybe dead tomorrow, but alive, gloriously alive, today.
    ----
    I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

• Achaea has the ability to do certain things with emotes. I don't know the syntaxes there though, because I was never that cool.
  • And idea I used to lobby for in MKO was the ability to actually DO an action through an emote. The reason for this is, during long RP sessions when characters begin to suffer the effects of hunger or thirst, they might emote the action out and then spam everyone with the actual action. MKO also had multiple levels of sips. "sip" = 1 sip, drink = 2 or 3, gulp = 4 and I think draft drained the entire container.

An example:

emote grabs his #bulb12345 as it floats past him, taking a $drink(drink bulb12345) from it. With a satisfied cough he guides himself through the null gravity and $sits(sit chair12345) in #chair12345

Everyone would see:

Oogah Chakha grabs his battered bulb of whiskey as it floats past him, taking a drink from it. With a satisfied cough he guides himself through the null gravity and sits in the co-pilot's seat.
    While that sounds kind of cool, honestly I would not end up using it myself, that sounds just too complicated for the rapid-fire emoting I often end up doing.
  • Scathain said:
    And idea I used to lobby for in MKO was the ability to actually DO an action through an emote. The reason for this is, during long RP sessions when characters begin to suffer the effects of hunger or thirst, they might emote the action out and then spam everyone with the actual action. MKO also had multiple levels of sips. "sip" = 1 sip, drink = 2 or 3, gulp = 4 and I think draft drained the entire container.

An example:

Everyone would see:

While that sounds kind of cool, honestly I would not end up using it myself, that sounds just too complicated for the rapid-fire emoting I often end up doing.
    Another 'not sure how common it is across IRE' thing, but in the game I come from, you can prefix some messages like that.

For example, 'give ring to Scathain (muttering about keeping it secret and safe)', you would then see "Muttering about keeping it secret and safe, Shinonome gives you a ring of power." (and so on for other perspectives). It's not multiaction, and it might not be as flexible as Oogah's suggestion...

But it's easy and simple and if you want to add a tiny bit of flavor to an action, you can.
  • I am Groot
    (In Imperian, rather than put things beforehand in () you just start the emote normally and insert the 1st instance of your name with ^. Doing "emote Dancing around wildly, ^ shakes all the loose leaves out of his head." would result in "Dancing around wildly, Groot shakes all the loose leaves out of his head."

Additionally instead of using $ or @ you target people with #. So "emote gives #Syaja a thumbsup." would show 3rd person "Groot gives Syaja a thumbsup." while 1st person she would see "Groot gives you a thumbsup"

@Tecton What about colored says in emotes? Imperian has them and they're much better than all just plain text (except with the occasional misplaced period, which can cause the rest of the sentence to stay colored)