Skip to content

Death, Dying and Eternal Life

After reading everything on the wiki, I think I understand how Starmourn is going to handle death, but I thought I'd create this thread to discuss it too and to maybe have others throw around ideas or questions about it.

From what I've read, our memories are going to be constantly recorded by mindsims and then saved into the D-Vault, which is considered unhackable. These memories could then be downloaded into a new, cloned body after the previous incarnation was killed/obliterated.

I really like this concept, it's used in other sci-fi worlds and games, like EVE online and the Undying Mercenary series of books (Awesome books, btw).

IS this how death is going to work in Starmourn? And does anyone else have ideas or suggestions for it?
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall set me free.

----
Almost dead yesterday, maybe dead tomorrow, but alive, gloriously alive, today.
----
I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Comments

• That's pretty close, actually!
  • yeah, that's how I read it too.
    Also, Undying Mercenaries is free on Kindle Unlimited and worth a read if you're into pulp sci-fi. And you should be, if you're interested in Starmourn. :) The books aren't high literature or anything, just a fun, often ridiculous, romp through the galaxy. I highly recommend. :)
  • @bairloch After the free kindle unlimited subscription of $9.99 per month..? :expressionless:
  • that was assumed.
    I read about 15 books/month off that subscription. I'm getting my money's worth.
  • @Tecton I am Groot

(But if this is the basic idea of how death is handled, what stops some civilization or other evil mastermind from taking a particularly famous or powerful recording of someoneand make a clone army to attack the Trade Federation and later issue Order 66 their enemies?)
  • That's actually a really cool idea, I do wonder how much that will be fleshed out. Will be interesting to see!
  • I remember one time in Lusternia when I was being reborn after dying some god visited me and made it really creepy :/ 
  • After reading everything on the wiki, I think I understand how Starmourn is going to handle death, but I thought I'd create this thread to discuss it too and to maybe have others throw around ideas or questions about it.

From what I've read, our memories are going to be constantly recorded by mindsims and then saved into the D-Vault, which is considered unhackable. These memories could then be downloaded into a new, cloned body after the previous incarnation was killed/obliterated.

I really like this concept, it's used in other sci-fi worlds and games, like EVE online and the Undying Mercenary series of books (Awesome books, btw).

IS this how death is going to work in Starmourn? And does anyone else have ideas or suggestions for it?
    Amusingly, you perfectly nailed the inspiration with the Undying Mercenary series. I was actually reading that when we decided how death would work.
  • Ataniiq said:
    @Sagex do tell?
    I usually stay around for a bit and relax and all of sudden a voice told me. "you going to stay dead.. never come back.. neeveeer" I was drunk and almost turned off my comp  

• edited September 2017
    Aurelius said:
    After reading everything on the wiki, I think I understand how Starmourn is going to handle death, but I thought I'd create this thread to discuss it too and to maybe have others throw around ideas or questions about it.

Amusingly, you perfectly nailed the inspiration with the Undying Mercenary series. I was actually reading that when we decided how death would work.
    An event based upon someone/thing (Ishvana?) cracking the mindsim tech to take over people's memories/future clones/whatever could be reallllly cool. Or using them to create new races. Or something else. I just think there's a lot of RP potential in this powerful concept.
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk
  • Aurelius said:

Well, McGill would really fit the "handful of humans from a penal colony surviving against all odds" now wouldn't he... 
  • Isn't something like the Mindsim pretty much what created the Ishvana?
  • Aurelius said:

I call dibs on Clan Varus, Legion of the Wolf.

----
    ----
    I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    I will face my fear.

• Ranuth said:
    Isn't something like the Mindsim pretty much what created the Ishvana?
    Nah. Mindsims are just AI assistants implanted in your head.

The Ishvana is the sum of the collective consciousness of almost the entire Elessi race. 
  • Aurelius said:

Nah. Mindsims are just AI assistants implanted in your head.
    Oooohhhh.. That makes so many delightful possibilities..
    Zhill says, "Drats."
    You say to Zhill, "Thanks anyways! I'm gonna go break more things!"
    Zhill tells you, "You show'em!"
    You joyfully tell Zhill, "I sure will!"
    You laughingly tell Zhill, "Or I'll die horribly! Ahahaha!"
  • How does constantly being cloned interact with Jin beliefs towards death?
  • TCX said:
    How does constantly being cloned interact with Jin beliefs towards death?
    I was thinking about this myself actually. It seems like something that would be considered a bit taboo to a species who revere death as much as the Jin do.
  • They're an advanced species who makes allowances for the existence of technology that's beneficial to them. The Jin in Starmourn couldn't afford to refuse cloning given their relatively small numbers.
  • Just wanted to comment that the article about Death is pretty awesome. I totally intend to steal peoples xp and sell it back to them. 

----
    ----
    I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    I will face my fear.