Skip to content

Another Retirement Question

While I am clearly aware it will be some time before the retirement benefits will even be available in Starmourn, how long of a window do I have in retiring?

Ought I wait months to actually do it, or is it safe to finalize the retirement in the game I truly do want to retire from now?

Comments

• Retirement credits are stuck to your account (the email associated with your character registration) permanently until used. You could've retired a character years ago and the credits would still be ready and waiting today. So it's safe to retire any time!

My query is as to whether the usual stipulation of only characters under a RL month old can receive retirement credits will still be applied to SM. For instance, I create my character at open, then three months later, retirement credits become valid, but I can't apply them to my main because it's been more than a month since their creation.
  • It would make more sense to wait to retire your character, @annys. The value would be the same now as if you wait a few months to do it, but the difference is that on the off-chance you don't enjoy Starmourn and find that despite the hype it's really not all you were hoping for, you won't be stuck with a character you already retired for that purpose.

"They are elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty."
    — Oscar Wilde

"I'll take care of it, Luke said. And because he said it instead of her, I knew he meant kill. That is what you have to do before you kill, I thought. You have to create an it, where none was before."
    — Margaret Atwood

• edited December 2018
    Meh. The character is retired (edit - not in the literal sense, but I won't be playing her anymore). And honestly, if it's not this IRE game, there's not going to be another one for me.

I don't want it to accidentally expire, though.
  • This is from an announcement to the Lusternia community.
    Retirement credits will be available on Starmourn, but not until at least March 2019. After that point, people with existing characters will have 30 days to spend retirement credits on any existing characters in the game. New characters will, as per other IRE games, have 30 days before they're unable to receive retirement credits.
    https://www.lusternia.com/news/?game=Lusternia&section=Announce&number=2874
  • Zil said:
    My query is as to whether the usual stipulation of only characters under a RL month old can receive retirement credits will still be applied to SM. For instance, I create my character at open, then three months later, retirement credits become valid, but I can't apply them to my main because it's been more than a month since their creation.
    You will be able to use retirement credits on your main in this case. Once we allow the use of retirement credits, all characters will have one month to use retirement credits before we return to the newbie only rule.
  • annys said:
    While I am clearly aware it will be some time before the retirement benefits will even be available in Starmourn, how long of a window do I have in retiring?

Ought I wait months to actually do it, or is it safe to finalize the retirement in the game I truly do want to retire from now?
    I would wait to retire until you've played Starmourn for a month or two. You will have plenty of time to retire before everything opens up in March for that. 

Remember that SM will be in a playable state, but it will not be as polished as any of the other games which have had over 10 years each to clean stuff up. It will be fun, but we don't want anyone to make a decision they cannot reverse and end up regretting it. 

Basically, you have lots of time. Wait to retire until you're 100% sure.
  • Jumpy said:
    annys said:

I would wait to retire until you've played Starmourn for a month or two. You will have plenty of time to retire before everything opens up in March for that. 

Remember that SM will be in a playable state, but it will not be as polished as any of the other games which have had over 10 years each to clean stuff up. It will be fun, but we don't want anyone to make a decision they cannot reverse and end up regretting it. 

Basically, you have lots of time. Wait to retire until you're 100% sure.
    Right. I'm sure. That character is retiring, and practically is. I was more paranoid that retiring bonuses might expire too, but the character is still there, as it ever was, until I am ready.