Skip to content

Week Of: Which Civilization Are You Gonna Play In?

Y'all know I love polls. I couldn't resist one more since the Discord server only collected ranks on race and class.
Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.

Comments

• I'll be alting in Scatterhome, but at the moment I suspect that I'll be more heavily invested in CA.

"They are elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty."
    — Oscar Wilde

"I'll take care of it, Luke said. And because he said it instead of her, I knew he meant kill. That is what you have to do before you kill, I thought. You have to create an it, where none was before."
    — Margaret Atwood

• For long time I wanted to play in the Song Dominion but for various reasons decided against it. Never was a fan of Scatterhome so that leaves the Ascendancy by default.
  • I’m going to likely be an Nusriza or Ry’nari and Song dominion fits my current ideas.
  • I came here to climb the impossibly steep social ladder of the Ascendancy and to kick some Ry'nari buttocks.
    Starmourn Launch Countdown:
    https://countingdownto.com/?c=2341194
  • I'm still playing Celestine, but my character concept has changed and I've decided to not use my forums name as my character's (though I may register it anyway or alt with it) for the sake of RP on my main. Really looking forward to it. 
  • Syaja said:
    I'm still playing Celestine, but my character concept has changed and I've decided to not use my forums name as my character's (though I may register it anyway or alt with it) for the sake of RP on my main. Really looking forward to it. 
    Kestrel is a loud and obnoxious Nusriza.

I will certainly not have any OOC commentary tied to my actual character.

— Oscar Wilde

"I'll take care of it, Luke said. And because he said it instead of her, I knew he meant kill. That is what you have to do before you kill, I thought. You have to create an it, where none was before."
    — Margaret Atwood

• Definitely still Scatterhome, and definitely still of "good" alignment. My character concept has also changed though! I feel like Krona fits a lot better than human for where I want to take my story.
  • Scatterhome
    well I am picking Scatterhome because I wantd to see how that city will fit what I want, as a human, I will maybe alt with the other citys though just to check them out though.
    Thanks
    Kevin Roberts
  • woops? I didn't know my choice was going to be auto entered sorry about that.

• Scatterhome
    well I am picking Scatterhome because I wantd to see how that city will fit what I want, as a human, I will maybe alt with the other citys though just to check them out though.
    Thanks
    Kevin Roberts
    I was actually wondering...can any race play in any civilization (or whatever they are referred to as)? Most of where I am wanting to play is driving my character creation. I'm interested to see Scatterhome's concept of government in action, but I'm really feeling a B.E.A.S.T. Decheeran (named Ed obviously). I'm not entirely sure I can create one of those in Scatterhome or not.

Otherwise, I have no qualms creating a human nanoseer or Jin Scoundrel.
  • edited December 2018
    Scatterhome
    Thanks
    Kevin Roberts
    I was actually wondering...can any race play in any civilization (or whatever they are referred to as)? Most of where I am wanting to play is driving my character creation. I'm interested to see Scatterhome's concept of government in action, but I'm really feeling a B.E.A.S.T. Decheeran (named Ed obviously). I'm not entirely sure I can create one of those in Scatterhome or not.

Otherwise, I have no qualms creating a human nanoseer or Jin Scoundrel.
    You can pretty much play any race in any civ. There might be some complications, (W'hoorn in Song or Ry'nari in the Ascendancy being the most notable) but RP it out to your heart's content. ;)
    The Ascendancy has Scrapston which is traditionally home to outsider races. That was appealing to me.
    But Scatterhome could easily take in anyone. That's the heart of what it is. 
  • Syaja said:
    You can pretty much play any race in any civ. There might be some complications, (W'hoorn in Song or Ry'nari in the Ascendancy being the most notable) but RP it out to your heart's content. ;)
    The Ascendancy has Scrapston which is traditionally home to outsider races. That was appealing to me.
    But Scatterhome could easily take in anyone. That's the heart of what it is. 
    Wonderful. I'll probably try to keep my character development manageable until I fully understand the world around me so trying to do some off the wall thing like those you mentioned, fortunately, isn't on my to-do list. Decheeran in Scatterhome is calling my name.

No worries to the Song population! If/when I alt, that's where I'm going lol <3
  • edited December 2018
    Arista said:
    Poor Song. :(

I've been vacillating a lot, but the fact that Song seems the least popular so far might solidify it as my choice.
    Consider this: the Dominion will probably entice the kind of player who stereotypically doesn't like talking on forums and other social outlets, unless it is to discuss mechanics, post logs, etc - which we obviously can't do because the game isn't out yet. Therefore it makes sense for it to get least votes, the future Dominion players aren't on the forum yet.
    That's assuming 30 votes are a representative of the whole playerbase. I expect several hundred new players in the first day of open beta alone, so the sample size might be a bit small...
  • Arista said:

I've been vacillating a lot, but the fact that Song seems the least popular so far might solidify it as my choice.
    Song doesn't appeal to me, but the overwhelming popularity of the Scatterhome Human Scoundrel archetype has put me off my initial instincts to do just that.

Partly I settled on Shen because I figured they'll be more niche.

— Oscar Wilde

— Margaret Atwood

• My life goal is to make Song green again, so... Song.
  • Ascendancy.

While I am a bit disappointed with its portrayal in Martias and the Angel (was hoping for something a bit more dystopian, more Shadowrun-esque), Scatterhome doesn't appeal to me and I already tried authoritarian orgs in previous MUDs so I'll stick with my initial choice.
  • Jerom said:
    Ascendancy.

While I am a bit disappointed with its portrayal in Martias and the Angel (was hoping for something a bit more dystopian, more Shadowrun-esque), Scatterhome doesn't appeal to me and I already tried authoritarian orgs in previous MUDs so I'll stick with my initial choice.
    Never say never ... maybe with time we'll usher back in the dystopian capitalist counter-revolution. :naughty:

— Oscar Wilde

— Margaret Atwood

• I'm down.

That said, playing an Elgan, I will likely end up on the wrong end of that dystopian hierarchy but eh, screw it.
  • edited December 2018
    Is it so wrong to want the simple pleasures in life? Relaxing on the terrace of my villa in the sky... all the peasants of Scrapston a backdrop as they paddle their way through the canals, and thinking to myself "what other luxuries can I buy with all these Marks?" o:)
    Mudlet: Ōtsutsuki Interface
    "In all chaos there is a cosmos, in all disorder a secret order."
  • Looks like Scatterhome has taken a commanding lead. Not unexpected, just took a while to get here.
  • edited December 2018
    Syaja said:
    Looks like Scatterhome has taken a commanding lead. Not unexpected, just took a while to get here.

I do hope it balances some, I may change my initial creation depending on this thread lol
  • Arista said:

I admit thatbthe fact Song had the lowest count was a factor for me too. When there’s too many voices, some are lost and it will hopefully mean that it’s more likely that more of the active members there will have their voices heard.
  • edited December 2018
    The solution is clearly for Song and CA to get past their differences as quickly as possible, likely by crushing the working class of the Litharge and ushering in a new era of economic progress.

— Oscar Wilde

— Margaret Atwood

• I'm curious, did the closed beta have an overwhelming majority in Scatterhome too or was it a little more evenly distributed there? 

Assuming you can talk about that, of course. If it's all a secret that's fine too. 
  • The Ascendancy is now the underdog!
  • I actually like that :)
  • Me too.  :)
  • I wonder if CA would have been more popular before or after the Martias and the Angel lore.

I liked the story, by the way, it was excellent writing. I only ask because I spoke to a few others who, like me, were slightly disappointed by the communist utopia slant, because what initially drew me/them was the dystopian flavour. I liked the idea of playing a resentful urchin born in the Litharge, or even one of the privileged working to fight the corruption from within.

Purely out of curiosity, did anyone choose CA specifically because they liked the communist utopia concept? And was anyone turned off by the destratification in the lore?

— Oscar Wilde

— Margaret Atwood

• I liked the Ascendancy better after the story came out. It made my interest in all the orgs more even than previously. However, nothing has changed my plan, which from the beginning has been to try out all three orgs and see which I like best, in person.