Skip to content

Starship Flight/Combat

edited August 2017 in Questions and Answers
I have never played an IRE game before, so I have no frame of reference to the other games when I ask this. Would it be possible to be given an idea/example, etc. of how ships, ship flight, and ship combat, would work? Clearly they are a central component to the game and I suppose I am trying to understand if the ships will be more MUSH like in that they are simply a vehicle to get from point A or point B or if they are like MOOs from the past were ship combat/ship hacking, etc. will be a thing.

What types of things will there be to do during travel on a starship? Do I need to do maintenance on it? Replace parts, etc? Just some examples of what I am looking for with my question.

Thanks!

Comments

• We haven't released any info on ships yet, but there is definitely ship to ship combat. 
  • Thank you for the answer! Looking forward to more information for sure!  =)
  • Also, is there any plan to have different classes of ships? Like frigate, corvette, cruiser, dreadnought or will we all have the same vanilla ship that can be further customized?
  • @Jerom I think they'd like you to make a new thread in the Q&A section with any new questions. 
    Ataniiq
  • Honestly, I hope every aspect of owning a star ship is covered in some way. It would be really cool to be able to have to maintain your ship/have the option to rip apart the engine or something to repair it.  Almost like EVE maybe? 
  • I am definitely a fan of doing maintenance on the ship and other things to keep it flying, definitely. Although, for some of those things, it may be difficult to find a way to make it fun and not tedious.
  • Could set it up in such a way that the baseline is unmaintained, but you could get bonuses for doing the maintenance on the ship?
    Maybe with some limitation because pushing it to it's limits stresses the components and could lead to malfunctions?
  • That would be pretty amazing. 
  • Oh docking bays would be cool. Ships should be limited by the total size of ships they can carry (and their size should be larger than that number).

And then if you're just flying around your friends can jump out of their ships to hang out, or maybe you can even have other personal ships inside the larger one.

With weights also being added so that you don't have small cargo ships that pile into your fast carrier ship.
  • Jerom said:
    Also, is there any plan to have different classes of ships? Like frigate, corvette, cruiser, dreadnought or will we all have the same vanilla ship that can be further customized?
    It seems there will be classifications of ships, according to the wiki there are:
    • Carrier Class- Large scale ships designed to carry smaller fighters and shuttles.
    • Warship Class - Ships designed for space combat
      • Flagship - Command ship of a fleet
      • Dreadnaught - Heavily armed and armoured Quix warship
      • Kali - Huge automated warship employed by the Ishvana
    • Fighter Class - Small, agile ships designed for dog fighting
      • Ta-deth Fighter - Quick, nimble fighter employed by the Ta-deth
      • Swarmship - Sapphire Cult fighters designed to attack en masse
    • Emissary Class - Shuttle designed to transport diplomatic representatives
    Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall set me free.

----
    Almost dead yesterday, maybe dead tomorrow, but alive, gloriously alive, today.
    ----
    I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

• add in miners and explorers in that list and I'm good.
  • I cannot wait to explore this world.
    Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.
  • Miners, Explorers, and Cargo/Transports

----
    ----
    I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    I will face my fear.

• Syaja said:
    I cannot wait to explore this world.
    I think you mean sector!

----
    ----
    I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    I will face my fear.

• Will ship movement and combat take place on a 3D grid?
  • Kabaal said:
    Will ship movement and combat take place on a 3D grid?

No they're not using a 3D grid. Last I heard. 
  • Jericho said:
    Kabaal said:
    Will ship movement and combat take place on a 3D grid?

No they're not using a 3D grid. Last I heard. 

Do you have a link to that info? Is it on the wiki?
  • I believe they said it somewhere on the forums @Bandus

• http://www.starmourn.com/f-a-q/

Will flying around in starships be in 3d or 2d?

Strictly in 2d. We think that representing 3d space in text is not as appealing or amenable to mapping in a MUD client as 2d is, and while it's less realistic, fun comes first.

• Syaja said:
    I cannot wait to explore this world.
    I think you mean sector!
    Yes. I cannot wait to explore this sector!
    Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.
  • SOooo, will we people of dubious morals who pilot ships, be able to camouflage them? As in, make a ship look like a mining ship, but it's really just a bait ship with a serious amount of armaments and/or grappling and boarding equipment.

----
    ----
    I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    I will face my fear.

• Not just stealth but jammers too
  • Bandus said:
    I have never played an IRE game before, so I have no frame of reference to the other games when I ask this. Would it be possible to be given an idea/example, etc. of how ships, ship flight, and ship combat, would work? Clearly they are a central component to the game and I suppose I am trying to understand if the ships will be more MUSH like in that they are simply a vehicle to get from point A or point B or if they are like MOOs from the past were ship combat/ship hacking, etc. will be a thing.

What types of things will there be to do during travel on a starship? Do I need to do maintenance on it? Replace parts, etc? Just some examples of what I am looking for with my question.

Thanks!
    You should check out Achaea sea-ship combat, I'm not saying it'll be the same, but it's a creative way to fight.  Things like managing hull and sails, clearing rigging, managing fires, managing multiple weapon balances, and the more crew you have the more effective the ship is.  Weapons that do different things like slow, create fire, damage sails, damage hull, forceboarding their ships so you can skewer them with swords.  That sort of deal.

The ships also have a myriad of spells that you have to customize, things that make the wind blow harder, to ship teleportation and shielding.

IRE has created some super engaging combat systems that I think will be fantastic in SM.
  • Does Achaea have any small, one man ships (think Moana) that are easy to get started with for a noob? I might be interested, if so.
  • bairloch said:
    Does Achaea have any small, one man ships (think Moana) that are easy to get started with for a noob? I might be interested, if so.
    They sure do, it's called a Windcutter. You can't do a lot of solo PVP or monster hunting in a cutter, but it's possible in the next size up called a Seastrider.  And finally the big kahuna is the War Galley

Cutters are more for trade deals, fishing, and travelling to islands.  They're not useless in a group but not really built for fighting.
  • Archer said:
    bairloch said:
    Does Achaea have any small, one man ships (think Moana) that are easy to get started with for a noob? I might be interested, if so.
    They sure do, it's called a Windcutter. You can't do a lot of solo PVP or monster hunting in a cutter, but it's possible in the next size up called a Seastrider.  And finally the big kahuna is the War Galley

Cutters are more for trade deals, fishing, and travelling to islands.  They're not useless in a group but not really built for fighting.
    I am Groot
    (But keep in mind that ship ownership aren't for noobs.

If you're buying new just the base cost of a Windcutter is 2.5 mil gold (when I last checked, credits were around ~9k per on the market). Now that you have the actual ship, you have to buy crew (to make the ship go), stores (to feed and pay the crew), tokens (so if you get sunk most of your crew survives), and anything else you might want to get (ship tank for bait, figurehead, etc).

If you've been around for a while and want to take to the seas, go for it! There are a lot of ships nowadays and you can start your way from the bottom by being a crew member for a navy or a friend and learn your way around and get use to life on the sea. But if you want to hop from Minia to be a salty sea captain....you're going to have to pay the price. )
  • so it is not a one-man ship. too bad. I have no interest in combat. Just want to sail and trade and explore.
  • something like this

• bairloch said:
    so it is not a one-man ship. too bad. I have no interest in combat. Just want to sail and trade and explore.
    I am Groot
    (All the ships can be one man ships as long as you're not getting involved in combat or sea monster hunting. The crew you're paying and feeding are NPC's and half of them you won't even see. Captains in any of the ships can sail, explore, and do trades. Each of the ships has their own pros and cons outside of the price and you don't have to fight in any of them. For what you want to do, a Windcutter is definately up your alley.

I was just warning you that ships are not cheap or a small investment, especially if you want to become an owner. I don't know if any currently do, but cities have "rented" out Navy ships for fishing trips and the such for a cost. That might be more suited for what you want and might be worth looking into.)
  • A one-man ship means one man, like the above picture. No crew. No multi-million dollar cost. Good to know that this is not a thing so I don't get my hopes up. Thank you.