Skip to content

Forum Question: Editing posts

I recently made a post, then went to edit it to correct a typo.  While the post appeared immediately upon original submission, the minor edit I made resulted in the entire post disappearing until the edit was approved.  This seems odd to me.  Why restrict edits from appearing in the first place when original submissions have no such filter, and further why remove the original post instead of approving the edit itself separately?  Might be a forum setting issue.

Comments

• edited October 2018
    Probably some kinda anti-bot thing tbh and removing the original might be a limitation of Vanilla forums.

Looks like @Tecton might be around at the moment to help out?
  • The spam filter is a little funny and especially seems to get triggered with edits for some reason. 
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk
  • From memory there's some bot tactic of making a bunch of innocuous posts that fly under the radar and then going back to edit them with back links and stuff later on.

Tends to get missed by the users if the thread's active enough.
  • I went through and approved the item for you! Yeah, as Sairys said above, that's a common bot strategy.
  • This just happened to me on a post I wrote on the RP 'Rules' & Etiquette thread. :( All I did was add a few spaces!

Is this anti-bot feature necessary? Would it be possible to have it disabled?