Skip to content

Children

So, I've been wandering around and reading what's been said so far, and happened to notice the discussion in Q+A Madness regarding family and bloodlines, some of the issues involved, and that system not being in yet (at least at that time). Had some thoughts regarding it, and they basically center around two things: cloning and paperwork.

Seems to me that if the Atarsids had a genetic record of everyone in the sector, they'd certainly maintain records regarding bloodlines, and would most likely be universally recognized as the authority on them. For a relatively small fee, they could provide documentation of a blood relation between individuals, which could be necessary for any number of clerical needs (such as proving claim to the throne of Gzwerkzy 5, or child support). But it could go far beyond that: with their pro-clone stance, they could provide (again, for a small fee) couples lacking in either ability or desire to reproduce naturally the option of a child grown from their combined genetic profiles, with a bit of randomization thrown in for flavor. They could even, in the case of interracial couples, provide from their library of samples traits mapped to one parent, in a child of the other's race: for example, a blond-haired, blue eyed human and a red-feathered, red-eyed Nusriza could obtain from the Atarsids a human child with red hair and eyes, or a Nusrizan child with blond feathers and blue eyes, or even a Krona child with blue eyes and red hair. Genetic traits could be preserved through family, even if race and direct blood ties are not.

Again, just my two cents on the matter, but it seems to me that something like this would eliminate or at least reduce some immersion-breaking issues that have cropped up elsewhere; when parents who for whatever reason CANNOT produce the child that is being presented, we can't just say a wizard did it here: we CAN say SCIENCE did it.

Thoughts?

Comments

• This makes sense to me, although I'm a little grossed out by the idea of humans and nusriza mating to begin with.
    1. They have cloacas.
    2. How do you kiss a beak without having half your face mauled?

"They are elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty."
    — Oscar Wilde

"I'll take care of it, Luke said. And because he said it instead of her, I knew he meant kill. That is what you have to do before you kill, I thought. You have to create an it, where none was before."
    — Margaret Atwood

• edited April 2018
    Kestrel said:
    This makes sense to me, although I'm a little grossed out by the idea of humans and nusriza mating to begin with.
    1. They have cloacas.
    2. How do you kiss a beak without having half your face mauled?
     :expressionless:
  • edited April 2018
    They mate without kissing. Same as humans.

ETA - though now you've taken it there, I'm far more concerned about the question of oral sex.
  • They mate without kissing. Same as humans.

ETA - though now you've taken it there, I'm far more concerned about the question of oral sex.
    Could be worse I guess, you could be a human in love with a ry'nari.

"They are elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty."
    — Oscar Wilde

"I'll take care of it, Luke said. And because he said it instead of her, I knew he meant kill. That is what you have to do before you kill, I thought. You have to create an it, where none was before."
    — Margaret Atwood

• edited April 2018
    I see no problem here. They're delicious very nice.