Player Shops

KestrelKestrel Member Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2018 in Questions and Answers
Hi!

It's been mentioned here that shops will work quite differently in Starmourn, compared to other IRE games.

My question is: how?

I like the idea of owning a Spacebar (ehehe) or restaurant of sorts, as a player-run roleplay hub where I could market snazzy offerings made with the Cuisine tradeskill. Worldbuilding is really my jam and I like carving out a little slice of the gameworld for my character to call their own.

Will this be possible? Would we be able to open player-run restaurants/boutiques/armouries and the like? Or would I have to sell beer out of hand? (If so, that makes the Cuisine tradeskill much less attractive.)

"They are elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty."
— Oscar Wilde


"I'll take care of it, Luke said. And because he said it instead of her, I knew he meant kill. That is what you have to do before you kill, I thought. You have to create an it, where none was before."
— Margaret Atwood

XiruCorvus
«1

Comments

  • QitorienQitorien Member Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk
  • KestrelKestrel Member Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭
    I was hoping for staff word on the matter, I'm wondering if this thread slipped through the cracks. :(

    "They are elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty."
    — Oscar Wilde


    "I'll take care of it, Luke said. And because he said it instead of her, I knew he meant kill. That is what you have to do before you kill, I thought. You have to create an it, where none was before."
    — Margaret Atwood

    Qitorien
  • MalashMalash Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    Hrm.....this system could make it kinda hard to move ho- er, legitimately-acquired wares of disputed origin, no?
  • QitorienQitorien Member Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    Tecton said:
    <<Stuff. Awesome, AWESOME stuff.>>


    Are purchased goods deposited right then and there in your hands or do you have to go somewhere to pick up the merchandise? You wrote the "closest tradeterm," which made me wonder.
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk
  • AureliusAurelius Administrator Posts: 467 Starmourn staff
    Does this instant delivery apply to sexbots too?
  • KestrelKestrel Member Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭
    So I know my question was already answered, but I just wanted to verify:

    Does this mean there's no way for us to open an in-game shop where other characters would physically gather/congregate? For example a restaurant, a bar, a market, etc.?

    Player-run shops are only for selling things, not for hanging out etc.?

    "They are elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty."
    — Oscar Wilde


    "I'll take care of it, Luke said. And because he said it instead of her, I knew he meant kill. That is what you have to do before you kill, I thought. You have to create an it, where none was before."
    — Margaret Atwood

  • MalashMalash Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    Will we at least have NPC-run bars to hang out in? Maybe the orgs could "hire" players to staff them.
  • KestrelKestrel Member Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Tecton!

    "They are elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty."
    — Oscar Wilde


    "I'll take care of it, Luke said. And because he said it instead of her, I knew he meant kill. That is what you have to do before you kill, I thought. You have to create an it, where none was before."
    — Margaret Atwood

  • XiruXiru Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭✭
    Tradeterminals look amazing, and I imagine there has to be some NPC-run bars we can hang out at. 

    Also, would love to see bars used as hang out locations more so than random city streets. Space port bars for the convenience?
    Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.
    MalashZerva
  • TectonTecton Administrator Posts: 686 Starmourn staff
    Malash said:
    Will we at least have NPC-run bars to hang out in? Maybe the orgs could "hire" players to staff them.
    Most definitely!
    MalashSlanderXiruQitorien
  • SlanderSlander Member Posts: 176 ✭✭✭
    Malash said:
    Syaja said:
    Also, would love to see bars used as hang out locations more so than random city streets.
    I cannot agree with this strongly enough. Always bothered me in Achaea that there's all these restaurants, taverns, etc. and yet hardly anyone is ever in them, they just stand in the middle of the street in the rain and snow and darkness. Perhaps some very minor mechanical advantage (something like slightly faster passive regeneration, for example) could be built into these locations, to simulate the relaxed atmosphere and sheltered location well-suited to recuperating in after a long day?
    I completely agree so I actually do have my character in Achaea hang out in the tavern and even make comments to the NPC bartender on occasion. It's also led to some great spontaneous RP when a newb wanders in, sees her sitting there and they end up having a half-hour conversation.
    I'm gone.
    MalashXiruSqueakums
  • XiruXiru Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    saturnine said:
    Malash said:
    Syaja said:
    Also, would love to see bars used as hang out locations more so than random city streets.
    I cannot agree with this strongly enough. Always bothered me in Achaea that there's all these restaurants, taverns, etc. and yet hardly anyone is ever in them, they just stand in the middle of the street in the rain and snow and darkness. Perhaps some very minor mechanical advantage (something like slightly faster passive regeneration, for example) could be built into these locations, to simulate the relaxed atmosphere and sheltered location well-suited to recuperating in after a long day?
    I completely agree so I actually do have my character in Achaea hang out in the tavern and even make comments to the NPC bartender on occasion. It's also led to some great spontaneous RP when a newb wanders in, sees her sitting there and they end up having a half-hour conversation.
    I utilized the Brass Lantern a lot for this purpose. Found out it was trafficked more than I would have thought. If I was building a fantasy type MUD these days I'd make a pub right inside the gates for all those weary travelers. 

    Edited to add: Even if they're not the most convenient locations, we should make this a thing playerside before those meeting point locations are established. 
    Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.
    MalashSqueakumsSlander
  • KixKix Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    Malash said:
    Syaja said:
    Also, would love to see bars used as hang out locations more so than random city streets.
    I cannot agree with this strongly enough. Always bothered me in Achaea that there's all these restaurants, taverns, etc. and yet hardly anyone is ever in them, they just stand in the middle of the street in the rain and snow and darkness. Perhaps some very minor mechanical advantage (something like slightly faster passive regeneration, for example) could be built into these locations, to simulate the relaxed atmosphere and sheltered location well-suited to recuperating in after a long day?

    I think some minor mechanical advantage would be a good incentive and draw for certain places.
    MalashKestrelXiruSqueakums
  • bairlochbairloch Member Posts: 373 ✭✭✭
    In Lusternia I hang out in the bar in Gaudi talking to the NPCs hoping someone will jump in with me.
    Hasn't happened yet.
  • MalashMalash Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    Doesn't everyone in Lusternia still hang out at the power nexii? They at least used to.
  • KestrelKestrel Member Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Make it so you get some really minor amount of XP for RPing at a tavern/bar/NPC shop or something.

    Not enough to make it an efficient means of grinding, just enough to both incentivise hanging out there and reward RP.

    "They are elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty."
    — Oscar Wilde


    "I'll take care of it, Luke said. And because he said it instead of her, I knew he meant kill. That is what you have to do before you kill, I thought. You have to create an it, where none was before."
    — Margaret Atwood

    Squeakums
  • MalashMalash Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    Dunno about XP, that just seems like a reason for people to permanently AFK there whenever they're not active. I'd be happy with something like endurance regen (or some equivalent), for those who've done a lot of walking and been otherwise out doing things.
    Kix
  • bairlochbairloch Member Posts: 373 ✭✭✭
    Malash said:
    Doesn't everyone in Lusternia still hang out at the power nexii? They at least used to.
    Yes, I just don't like it so I go to the bar. Fits my character better.
    XiruMalash
  • SqueakumsSqueakums Member Posts: 229 ✭✭✭
    Kestrel said:
    Make it so you get some really minor amount of XP for RPing at a tavern/bar/NPC shop or something.

    Not enough to make it an efficient means of grinding, just enough to both incentivise hanging out there and reward RP.
    I love this idea. Obviously it can be abused like @Malash suggested, but maybe simply standing there won't do it? Maybe something like a tiny bit of experience every time you speak or emote while others are present. Give it a cooldown of a minute or two. Way less efficient than any kind of bashing, but still an incentive?

    Anything that has experience tied to it can be botted and abused, but we're a small enough community that it might be easy enough to punish abusers. And between autobashing and idling at a social area, the latter probably has more chances of meaningful interaction.

    The idea does have a bit of a "too difficult to implement without abuse" feel to it, but it could be really cool and innovative if we happen to get it right. 
    KestrelMalashQitorienZil
  • KixKix Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    Kestrel said:
    Make it so you get some really minor amount of XP for RPing at a tavern/bar/NPC shop or something.

    Not enough to make it an efficient means of grinding, just enough to both incentivise hanging out there and reward RP.
    I've always believed that there should not be a mechanical reward to RP. I don't believe there should be mechanical incentive for RP at all, considering how nebulous of a concept it can be in general.
  • RothareRothare Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    It could also be used as an xp booster, where if you stay there for a set amount of time(logged out or not) once you get into combat you would get a very slight bonus to gained XP up to a cap so it's not a go-to and not abusable. And then after a set amount of time the bonuses you could get will decay outside of a cantina.

    Also, it would be really freakin cool if there were slots or something simple like blackjack or some form of guessing game with numbers or dice that you could play with the locals(npc) for very small amounts, making it more of a novelty chill activity than an actual money maker/loser!
  • CorvusCorvus Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    I love this concept versus trying to find available land to purchase to house a shop or having to join a city (most of the time) to partake in such a fun aspect of any IRE game. Buying my Shopkeepers license in Achaea and running my own forge is definitely one of my most favorite memories--glad I can do it once again!
    KixXiruMalash
  • AlishiaAlishia Member Posts: 9
    Rothare said:
    It could also be used as an xp booster, where if you stay there for a set amount of time(logged out or not) once you get into combat you would get a very slight bonus to gained XP up to a cap so it's not a go-to and not abusable. And then after a set amount of time the bonuses you could get will decay outside of a cantina.

    Also, it would be really freakin cool if there were slots or something simple like blackjack or some form of guessing game with numbers or dice that you could play with the locals(npc) for very small amounts, making it more of a novelty chill activity than an actual money maker/loser!
    If you want to create a social area I wouldn't encourage people who may not be social to hang out there.
    SqueakumsKestrel
Sign In or Register to comment.