Skip to content

Mindsim for Discord

Hello everyone!

I have been working on a Discord bot to enable me to use the chat functionality in Starmourn from a comfortable chat-focused client, such as Discord. This allows me to get notifications when there are new discussions, and quickly participate in the conversation from my phone or computer.

You are probably familiar with the #newbie and #ingamealert channels on the official Discord server. I have basically taken that concept and made it available for all channels associated with your character.

But Rook, can't you just engage with people on the official Discord server??
I could. But for some people, there is too much noise in there (memes, cats, etc), which just does not happen in-game.

Alright, sounds pretty good! How does this work??
After you have added the bot to your server, you can use the command /connect to set up a telnet connection to Starmourn (Please read the instructions below to connect securely WITHOUT entering your password). 

Now you can chat directly in each channel (#local, #faction, #dynasty, etc) or use one of the many commands for even more functionality!

Setup

1. Create your own Discord server by following this guide.
  2. Add the Mindsim bot here: Mindsim Bot.
  3. Go to play.starmourn.com and log in with your character.
  4. Open up your developer console (Balsamiq has a good guide on this here).
  5. Generate a ONE-TIME password by copying everything below into the console and pressing enter. You should see a number in your console, copy this and use it as your password using /connect <user> <password> in Discord. That's it!

NB! This is still in development, so I am looking for people who are willing to give me feedback and suggest improvements. But everything is pretty polished, so I don't think you will be disappointed. 

(function getOneTimePassword() {
  var temp = handle_GMCP;
  handle_GMCP = function (data) {
    if (data.GMCP) {
      var gmcp_method = data.GMCP.method;
      var gmcp_args = data.GMCP.args;
      if (gmcp_args.length == 0) gmcp_args = '""';
      gmcp_args = JSON.parse(gmcp_args);
      if (gmcp_method == "IRE.Misc.OneTimePassword") {
        var pwd = gmcp_args;
        console.log(pwd);
        handle_GMCP = temp;
      }
    }
  };
  send_GMCP("IRE.Misc.OneTimePassword", "")
})()