Skip to content

Economy!

Just put up a new page on the site all about the economy. Check it out here! 

Comments

• I can already tell that it is going to be a love hate relationship but with some therapy we will stay together for a long time! I like it!
  • edited March 2018
    I really like the whole system of market orders and market offers. Sounds really fun :)
  • Can you tell us how far apart the 3 major planets are. Like if you create a market order, how long until you can get the cargo from one planet to another? 
  • Pretty great. I Really like it.

Tons of similarities to Eve-Online market, economy/economies, and manufacturing - which is by no means a bad thing!
  • Coenzyme said:
    Can you tell us how far apart the 3 major planets are. Like if you create a market order, how long until you can get the cargo from one planet to another? 
    Not that far. You can fly it in a few minutes. (Note that planets have a network of teleporters for characters to use so that you don't have to get into a ship every time you want to go between planets. Not all planets are connected to the teleporter though.)
  • Aurelius said:
    Coenzyme said:
    Can you tell us how far apart the 3 major planets are. Like if you create a market order, how long until you can get the cargo from one planet to another? 
    Not that far. You can fly it in a few minutes. (Note that planets have a network of teleporters for characters to use so that you don't have to get into a ship every time you want to go between planets. Not all planets are connected to the teleporter though.)
    So long enough to make it a risk to pirates but short enough that it shouldn't be tedious? 
  • edited March 2018
    Well, between the three main ones, yeah, but you can buy autofactories on a lot more planets than that, and all autofactory types aren't available on all planets, including the three player civilization planets. 

That said, most systems that would have autofactories are near a Void Gate, making it them all kind of close to each other in terms of travel time.
  • Can you partially fill an order or purchase an offer? (it's one of my favorite aspects of GW2s market system)

Also, is it possible for orgs/npcs to make market orders?

Seems like it could be a neat way for orgs to collect comms for expansion, particularly if partial fills are an option.
  • You know what would be rude? Blowing up a player ship on purpose, knowing what it's composed of ,and then fulfililng the ship insurance agencies' order to replace  it....
  • Pollivar said:
    You know what would be rude? Blowing up a player ship on purpose, knowing what it's composed of ,and then fulfililng the ship insurance agencies' order to replace  it....
    Rude nah that is commerce 101 create a demand and fulfill the demand seems like good business sense to me . 
  • I really like where you're going with this. Space Trucker is one of my favorite playstyles.
  • I think this way of handling the economy is fantastic. I also really like how it ties into other parts of the game, making different parts of the player base interact (like the pirate thing).

Will the governing body of each planet have total control over tax rates? What about the planets  that aren't part of the big three orgs? 
  • I, for one, am particularly excited about the fact that space trucking is a main aspect of the game.
  • Squeakums said:
    I think this way of handling the economy is fantastic. I also really like how it ties into other parts of the game, making different parts of the player base interact (like the pirate thing).

Will the governing body of each planet have total control over tax rates? What about the planets  that aren't part of the big three orgs? 
    Tax rates in this case will be set by the system, not players. Basically, what happens is the more trade that gets done somewhere, the higher the tax rate goes. As people move their business elsewhere, the tax rate drops again. The idea is that the tax rates will ensure that the "board" you're playing on isn't static, and changes according to player actions.

That said, we may let players set tax rates on the main planets in the future. We just want to get the system going and see how it works before we let players directly set those tax rates. 
  • Wait, wait, wait....Scatterhome has taxes? Who's going out and collecting these taxes, the space-mafia?
  • Malash said:
    Wait, wait, wait....Scatterhome has taxes? Who's going out and collecting these taxes, the space-mafia?
    Why else would Scatterhome have the best schools?
  • edited March 2018
    Theograth said:
    Malash said:
    Wait, wait, wait....Scatterhome has taxes? Who's going out and collecting these taxes, the space-mafia?
    Why else would Scatterhome have the best schools?
    I, for one, am excited for the Elgan Underground RP where they come in and shake someone down for protection money... I mean taxes.

Also, I just want to add to the sentiment that I'm excited for this style of economy. I feel it's going to add a lot of heartbreak and frustration at times but if we've got a positive community oocly I don't think that'll be an issue so much. So long as we know going in that there is an inherent risk but that the rewards are well worth it, I can see it being a very vibrant game within the game.
  • As long as everyone is aware that it is a game, and that one can't win all the time, things should be fine. Actually, losing can be quite character-building (even if it can also be frustrating). :smiley:
  • I totally agree. There’s a trend in mmo gaming to make loss meaningless, which I find to be a sad direction to head. Loss is a huge motivator. 
  • Just gotta make sure it's possible to recover. I mean, what happens if your ship gets blown up, replaced, you can't afford to insure the new one so you start hauling cargo to pay for it, then you get pirated and blown up again? How do you recover from that, if you lack the ability to travel away from whatever middle-of-nowhere cloning facility you pop up at, with no local money-making opportunities?
  • There's some non-ship inter-system travel available, so you should be fine in a situation like that!
  • It's also a multiplayer game, so you can always get help from someone else.
  • Fair enough.
  • edited March 2018
    Helium-11 - A form of helium that's capable of super-fluidity at reasonable temperatures
    And what happens at unreasonable temperatures? :D

Are the autofactories (and related things) under the crafting umbrella or separate from it?

Autofactories sound like an amazing source of income, albeit with a continuing need to gather materials for them to work. Are there any potential downsides beyond that? (ETA I read a little further and saw the possibility of piracy and the complication of taxes and the ebb and flow of an active economy...haha)
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk
  • edited March 2018
    Qitorien said:

potential downsides
    Don't fall in.
  • Qitorien said:
    Helium-11 - A form of helium that's capable of super-fluidity at reasonable temperatures
    And what happens at unreasonable temperatures? :D

Are the autofactories (and related things) under the crafting umbrella or separate from it?

Autofactories sound like an amazing source of income, albeit with a continuing need to gather materials for them to work. Are there any potential downsides beyond that? (ETA I read a little further and saw the possibility of piracy and the complication of taxes and the ebb and flow of an active economy...haha)
    No, autofactories are unrelated to crafting. There's a manufacturing skill that covers them and refining raw resources.

The potential downsides are that you lose money on them because you aren't recouping your costs.
  • must play game.... *drool*