Skip to content

Ship structure speeds

I am curious to know if anyone has an answer to about ship speeds and structures. What I'm asking is are ship structures limited in speed by design, or are their modules that increase their max speed.  Like the interceptor, I noticed went at a max of 3k speed.  What would a corvette max speed be?

Comments

• We've got everything capped at 3k by design, but the big difference is how fast you get there with different structures/engines etc. The intention of the cap is to provide some balance, so while someone might get the jump on you and be, say, 10 tiles ahead, if you're a more skilled pilot and do things like use your skipdrive more effectively you can close that divide. If you had differing max speeds, you'd never catch them if they're going at that much faster rate.
  • So now, that leaves me to think something I have installed is severely reducing the speed of my ship as its not going over 871 even at 100 max speed thrust  O.O
  • edited January 2019
    Pimp my ship Episode 1
    vote ∘ Explore Nexus mods for Starmourn & Achaeandb for Nexus

• Illidaen said:
    So now, that leaves me to think something I have installed is severely reducing the speed of my ship as its not going over 871 even at 100 max speed thrust  O.O
    Might need to look at your engine power:mass ratios
    Come one, come all W'hoorn, to the Cultural Exchange where we can talk about being catbird klingons!
  • I don't know if that might be the problem-possibly. The two ships I have in question, both have the exact same engine, but one is a corvette and the other is the standard interceptor you get from the intro.  Both are the details from doing "ship details mass")

Capacity            Consumed

Superstructure             2.71k tons
    Components (total)                                740    ( 27%)       
       Engine                                                325    ( 12%)
       Shield                                                 200    (  7%)
       Shipsim                                              0      (  0%)
       Capacitor                                           150    (  6%)
       Sensor                                                65     (  2%)

Modules (Total)                                     0      (  0%)       

Cargo (total)                                         375    ( 14%)

Remaining                     1.59k tons

(That's the corvette)

Capacity            Consumed

Superstructure                1.74k tons
    Components (total)                                821    ( 47%)       
       Engine                                                325    ( 19%)
       Shield                                                 300    ( 17%)
       Shipsim                                               0      (  0%)
       Capacitor                                            50     (  3%)
       Sensor                                                146    (  8%)

Modules (Total)                                       0      (  0%)       

Cargo (total)                                            881    ( 51%)

Remaining                     39 tons
    (That's the interceptor, and that runs at its max of 3k speed with -no- problem)
  • Well yeah, if you use the same engine on a corvette that you are using on the interceptor, the corvette is going to be much slower. Do SHIP DETAILS MASS I think to show what the mass of each are. I’m willing to bet the corvette is around 4-5k and the interceptor is 1.5-2k. You need a bigger engine to increase the speed on ships that have more mass on them and since you’re using the exact same engine on both, the corvette is gonna much slower since it takes more thrusting power to get the mass up to the same speed as what your interceptor with less mass is going. 
  • Yeah, it comes to find out definitely I need a bigger(and expensive engine) for it. Looking at the cost for the type I have, I have to get the most expensive one for its class sadly, to pump out the necessary power/halons. So........bashing for marks will definitely be a thing for a while to come.
  • Accel should be slower but top speed should be the same, in "reality" I mean. Not sure about SM.
  • @Bairloch correct, and it does start out VERY VERY SLOW af, but when it finally gets to top speed, it'll only top at 871 around there, and that is a clear sign that one of the components aren't matching up with the superstructure.  I have spent a few hours trying to find the source/root of the problem and asking around, reading the helpfiles-which it needs some more information about superstructures anyway, and it's all pinpointing me that it's clearly the engine. It's just too small. I'm assuming I have to apply that logic to real life vehicle mechanics in a way/somewhat'ish and its making sense the more I think about it, a small engine would be incompatible put in a vehicle that is meant to pump out more power than the small engine. So the solution would be to invest in a larger engine that can handle the need.
  • huh, engine shouldn't affect top speed, logically, just accel. But, hey, I didn't write the rules.
  • Engine provides power, which does affect top speed because you’ve got a limited amount of power to push more mass. Keep in mind that the speed is a mix of linear/mini wormholes so you have a specific window of time to hit “top speed” before hitting the next wormhole and the engines are artificially capping the top speed because space debris will rip through shields and hull at higher speeds with no real way to stop it. 

https://www.starmourn.com/starships/

• I’ve never seen an instance where given enough time, a ship with too slow an engine can’t eventually hit top speed.  It just takes a really long time.

Are you sure that your ship max speed is set to 100% and thrust also set to 100%?
  • I’ve never seen an instance where given enough time, a ship with too slow an engine can’t eventually hit top speed.  It just takes a really long time.

Are you sure that your ship max speed is set to 100% and thrust also set to 100%?
    Hitting top speed requires extra power to get it. If your power is almost all used up, it won’t hit top speed 

Positive. I've tweaked, retweaked min/maxed settings, and it didn't fix the issue as that was one of the first things I did upon noticing the extremely slow buildup. I'm just going to have to invest in that most expensive engine for the model corvette. The other two are not enough.
  • The one that is like 2034 marks or something can hit 3k. Also keep in mind if your weapons are activated, that’s drawing power that could be going to cap out the thrust power needed for 3k speed and faster acceleration. 
  • Yep, that's what I have, and I believe I stated earlier though, the weapons are not activated at all. I have 560 halons remaining when not in use.

https://ada-young.appspot.com/pastebin/Pw1oCuos
    https://ada-young.appspot.com/pastebin/cu4qEEKI
  • edited January 2019
    Yeah, the corvette you have can’t hit 3k speed using that engine because it isn’t efficiently being used. It’s just not powerful enough. Only putting out 2633 your superstructure can support 4882. Go for engine 22 probably instead. 

Edit: You said as much earlier in the thread, just confirming that. The 300-500 ton engines are for interceptors while the 800ish ones are for corvettes. I went with the corvette that has the 8000+ power capacity and slapped engine 22 on it to max out the available power so I could fit better other components. Granted it was also like 115k marks to fit it out, including buying cannons and a tractor beam which were the vast majority of cost over the superstructure cost. Ships aren’t cheap sadly.