Skip to content

Engineer - sear - update 39

Most of this update is very welcome bug fixes and tweaks. Thanks for the work and on NYE no less :)

One of the items is a fix related to sear, making it properly scale in damage according to how much bleeding the target is suffering.
Sear is a relatively low base damage (at level 10, about half that of claw, the damage attack that is used to stack bleeding in the first place.
Bleeding also appears to be on a 5 second tick.
Sear causes extra damage if the target is bleeding, but a significant chunk of that bleeding is 'cured' by the sear itself.

I like the concept. Convert a slowly built up DoT into a burst of damage. What's not to like, really?

Please take a look at the following two 'logs' (copied from my combat messages console). I'm only level 10 and have not upgraded my toolkit yet, so I do understand that these results may be wildly different if I add another 20 levels. But these are the only figures I have, and they show that sear used optimally doesn't save me any time at all. On both cases it is the third bleeding tick that kills the target.

With just straight clawing:
You: Bot Harass -> a submerged tentacle (1.00)
You: Bot Claw -> a submerged tentacle (96 impact) (3.00)
You: Bot Claw -> a submerged tentacle (88 impact) (3.00)
Damage Dealt: Bleeding (unblockable) : 60
You: Bot Claw -> a submerged tentacle (102 impact) (3.00)
You: Bot Claw -> a submerged tentacle (103 impact) (3.00)
Damage Dealt: Bleeding (unblockable) : 86
You: Bot Claw -> a submerged tentacle (97 impact) (3.00)
You: Bot Claw -> a submerged tentacle (99 impact) (3.00)
Damage Dealt: Bleeding (unblockable) : 109

With sear at the optimal point:
You: Bot Harass -> a submerged tentacle (1.00)
You: Bot Claw -> a submerged tentacle (106 impact) (3.00)
You: Bot Claw -> a submerged tentacle (89 impact) (3.00)
Damage Dealt: Bleeding (unblockable) : 60
You: Bot Claw -> a submerged tentacle (108 impact) (3.00)
You: Bot Claw -> a submerged tentacle (98 impact) (3.00)
Damage Dealt: Bleeding (unblockable) : 86
You: Bot Claw -> a submerged tentacle (104 impact) (3.00)
You: Bot Sear -> a submerged tentacle (120 thermal) (3.00)
Damage Dealt: Bleeding (unblockable) : 31

Disclaimer:
Yeah, only level 10. Note that I'm not saying the ability sucks, nor that Engineers suck or even are bad at bashing. If sear is to exist in PvE though, I believe it needs to do a bit more damage. A higher base damage (it seems to be about half the base damage of claw) may be all that is needed. Why so low? 

Comments

• I did a bunch of testing on this in the Discord -- the results I saw was that sear wasn't worth it unless the enemy had 3 or more active bleeding stacks, since it appears the extra damage is a fixed number per stack. I'd recommend a change to Sear where it deals all incoming bleed damage at once rather than a fixed number per stack, so you have an option for effective burst (rather than just clawing again) in case you needed it in an emergency
    wandering star punk