Skip to content

IC and modern slang

2»

Comments

• Oh man, I hope I'll be able to talk about murderdeathkill and Taco Bell.

And the three shells.
    "You know what the chain of command is? It’s the chain I go get and beat you with ’til you understand who’s in ruttin’ command here."
  • edited December 2018
    Kax said:
    Oh man, I hope I'll be able to talk about murderdeathkill and Taco Bell.

And the three shells.
    You're reading our minds. That's literally the first piece of media we decided on.

• Aurelius said:
    Kax said:
    And the three shells.
    You're reading our minds. That's literally the first piece of media we decided on.

So Song can start referring to their Lord Commander as "Mr I am the Law" in a snarky way? Wonderful.
  • edited December 2018
    Maruna said:
    Aurelius said:
    Kax said:
    And the three shells.

So Song can start referring to their Lord Commander as "Mr I am the Law" in a snarky way? Wonderful.
    Well, I mean you can, but virtually nobody in Starmourn would get the reference. Some random piece of media from one out of dozens of species made 900 years ago would have been seen by virtually nobody outside of humans (who are likely to be interested because it's the only non-verbal history they have). 
  • Aurelius said:
    Maruna said:
    Aurelius said:
    Kax said:
    And the three shells.

Well, I mean you can, but virtually nobody in Starmourn would get the reference.
    That's what makes it funny! Confusing 'em.
  • @Aurelius One thing I have noticed with earth is there are rednecks, country folk in every region, I don't think it would be just earth that would have such terms. We need one that can be used in Starmourn, maybe even a few depending on race? Maybe even a word for cowboy even?
    (Scatterhome): Cal says, "We're called Scatterhome after what everybody does at the end of the night when it's time for someone to pay the bar tab."
    (Scatterhome): You say, "Which by my calculations, it's your turn to pay."
    (Scatterhome): Brantar says, "That's what my calculations have come to."
    (Scatterhome): Paavo says, "My math adds up to that, yeah."
    (Scatterhome): Cal says, "Bastards."
  • You mean like Spacer?  ;)
  • I have always just used the term spacer as a way to talk about players ICly. But what about cowboy or redneck. Spacer just seems more like a broad term for any player. And cowboy is not the same as redneck. My character is more like a cowboy. Though I have been using the term spaceboy, but I am not sure if that's a good enough term to use in place of cowboy. 
    (Scatterhome): Cal says, "We're called Scatterhome after what everybody does at the end of the night when it's time for someone to pay the bar tab."
    (Scatterhome): You say, "Which by my calculations, it's your turn to pay."
    (Scatterhome): Brantar says, "That's what my calculations have come to."
    (Scatterhome): Paavo says, "My math adds up to that, yeah."
    (Scatterhome): Cal says, "Bastards."
  • I don't think there are cows, are there? They disappeared when earth did.
  • There's milk, though. Maybe you could be a milkboy
  • edited February 2019
    Minion said:
    I don't think there are cows, are there? They disappeared when earth did.
    Correct, there are no cows and thus no cowboys. I'm not quite sure what Rrkansas means when he says his character is like a cowboy, as there's no opportunity to work with cows on a ranch. I'm assuming he's going after some particular feeling, but I'm not quite sure what that feeling is. If you describe what you're after a little better, Rkansas, maybe I can help out with an appropriate term.

As far as 'redneck' goes, the term "groundsider" is often used by spacers to refer to people who are basically stuck on one planet by virtue of lack of resources. Groundsiders tend to be more parochial than their far more well-traveled spacer brethren. Some groundsiders embrace the term, others strongly dislike it.

Slang wiki page updated: https://wiki.starmourn.com/Slang
  • Cowboy == Algerioso
  • I bet bogans still exist though.