Skip to content

Roleplay Flag

edited December 2018 in Feedback
Earlier today I was role-playing with someone and we had so much fun and after we finished, she said that it was a hit-and-miss trying to find someone to role-play with. So I'm thinking that maybe we need a tag or a title to flag ourselves as RP (Roleplay) so when other people see that, they can come up to each other to roleplay easier. Or maybe even add a Roleplay channel so people can find others to roleplay with or roleplay on that channel without insanity. This would improve the quality of life for Starmourn. After all, Roleplaying IS encouraged on that mud, isn't it?

Comments

• rpwho in Lusternia, if you can steal theirs. :)
  • Is it really a good system? I opt in to roleplay when I'm in the mood, but that only happens when an rp opportunity occurs right there and then, and I am interested.

I'm not going to add myself to a list if it means I get propositioned for rp at random times, but if I don't add myself to the list does that mean people will assume I hate rp and just ignore my presence? I don't want to miss out either.

Aetolia didn't have a flag system but had a very healthy rp environment (I say 'had' because I haven't played in a year or so).

I'm not rejecting your idea - it's a genuine question. I've never played a game with a flag/list system like this so I don't know how it will play out in practice.
  • I'd guess it would be a flag you can put on or off as you like, so you'd probably be able to toss it on when you're interested in those random propositions and take it off if you're in a far corner of the sector shooting anomalies. Since the membership would be mutable I doubt many people would just ignore people off of it outright as RP prospects. That's been my experience with similar stuff in the past, anyway.
  • Indi said:
    Is it really a good system? I opt in to roleplay when I'm in the mood, but that only happens when an rp opportunity occurs right there and then, and I am interested.

I'm not going to add myself to a list if it means I get propositioned for rp at random times, but if I don't add myself to the list does that mean people will assume I hate rp and just ignore my presence? I don't want to miss out either.

Aetolia didn't have a flag system but had a very healthy rp environment (I say 'had' because I haven't played in a year or so).

I'm not rejecting your idea - it's a genuine question. I've never played a game with a flag/list system like this so I don't know how it will play out in practice.

In Achaea this list was added, but literally no one uses it (including heavy roleplayers), and I was glad because of the same concerns you have. I think roleplay is better when it's a natural interaction rather than people following some list.

That being said, Starmourn is a very large game at the moment compared to achaea or aetolia, some people aren't at all focused on RP, and none of us know everyone well enough to know where to go for RP. So maybe it'd help here. I don't know. It didn't really do anything in achaea.
  • edited December 2018

• In Aetolia if I was bored I'd just say hi to people with the emote syntax that combined says with emotes. Sometimes that led to rp and other times it got a grunt.

Starmourn - biggest barrier I see is not seeing people all that often. Everyone is busy doing STUFF out and about. No one is idling at city gates. 

I'm the same, no time to rp. Kinda need to make time though. I haven't even talked in game yet - so much stuff to see and learn, I've treated it like a singleplayer game so far. 
  • I would love this to be a feature! 
    But I also  know a great deal of people that currently want to understand the mechanics and make some money before solidifying themselves as role players. It's difficult (not impossible, but difficult) to establish oneself as a great warrior or rich Mogul, or heck, even a tailor without a significant grind at this point. I have high hopes for Role Play here, and have been lucky to see bits and pieces of intricate stories being woven already.
  • I'm firmly in the "I'm IC at all times so I don't need this" camp, but I think it's a nice feature all the same.
  • edited December 2018
    Andrew said:
    I would love this to be a feature! 
    But I also  know a great deal of people that currently want to understand the mechanics and make some money before solidifying themselves as role players. It's difficult (not impossible, but difficult) to establish oneself as a great warrior or rich Mogul, or heck, even a tailor without a significant grind at this point. I have high hopes for Role Play here, and have been lucky to see bits and pieces of intricate stories being woven already.

Yeah this is understandable though. Its a new game and everyone wants to see what all the systems are. We're in that beautiful exploration phase where no one knows what the hell is going on. You get people say "What stat combination for Nanoseer?" and you just respond, "No one knows, you got unlimited resets, try some stuff out and let us know!"

When there is a comfortable understanding of what all is going on, the worlds been explored, quests run etc. That is most likely when the RP will begin in earnest and this tag will not be needed. For now though, the tags a good idea so that those who want to RP can find one another as the rest of us, take our ships to the stars, fly into a sun and die... not realizing you dont just stop like with stations/planets (Everyone lolled at me :( .)

Give it a month, the RP, ERP and questing will begin in earnest. My money's on questing becoming the dominant thing followed by RP, followed by ERP.
  • Am IC all the time, but if it would be handy for those who are unsure to feel cozier approaching me? Heck yes, all for it. 
  • I kinda wish there was a notice to next to my name which said "IC" at all times. I know it breaks immersion but a lot of people have mistaken my character as me the player. IC Solus is a massive douchebag but OOC I'm just as chilled as the next guy. Maybe a line in HONOR which states I'm an RPer that I could turn on and off.

At this point, I feel like I need to send folks a tell saying //Hey! Everything I'm saying is not intended to piss you off or upset you IRL. Solus is currently IC/ROLEPLAYING and OOC I don't mean to offend you in any way. If you feel like it's too much or don't wish to RP just tell me. 

(Scatterhome): You say, "Do you like things up your ass? Is your record clean? Are you looking for a job in the near future but not right now? Smuggle drugs for Solus and get stuffed across the galaxy."

• Pretty much same. Slander's borderline a drugged out gang member from Fallout: New Vegas and I'm... just so not that.
    I'm gone.
  • That would be good, actually. Maybe something that shows in Honors like Lawless.
  • I don't think further adding visibility to being In Character would be good, because it validates/encourages the general acceptance of being OOC. It isn't as much about immersion but the understand that we're all supposed to be in character, however shallow or deep that is. 
  • Eshe said:
    I don't think further adding visibility to being In Character would be good, because it validates/encourages the general acceptance of being OOC. It isn't as much about immersion but the understand that we're all supposed to be in character, however shallow or deep that is. 
    The problem is that Starmourn is not roleplay enforced entirely. Only on public channels. Meaning tells and says can be completely out of character. There needs to be a way to let other folks know during these scenarios that we as roleplayers are currently roleplaying.
    (Scatterhome): You say, "Do you like things up your ass? Is your record clean? Are you looking for a job in the near future but not right now? Smuggle drugs for Solus and get stuffed across the galaxy."

• edited December 2018
    It isn't enforced, no, but that doesn't mean we then need to encourage being OOC. You're expected to be IC. HELP IC specifies the difference between In Character and actively roleplaying. I'm not adverse to a scene-finder flag, for people actively looking to collaboratively write, but an IC flag sets a bad precedence. 

HELP IC also specifies that tells (other than our standards of being marked as OOC) and says should be IC unless all present parties agree to it and it isn't bothering anyone. That means the standard is still being IC with OOC being the exception.