Skip to content

Will there be player housing?

One thing that's been mentioned, that I would LOVE to see, is player housing out in the genuine world. It may be a small thing, but to have a place where a character can quit the game from at home is something that adds to immersion for me, rather than just disappearing from the middle of the city streets. And I think Imperian had housing that was part of the real world, rather than tucked away in a subdivision or only purchasable out of subs through auctions.

I'd love to see something where you could spend a LOT of money and live in one of those biodomes for the wealthy on Scatterhome or spend less money and live in a moldy shack in Scrapston. And maybe something like regular property taxes to keep properties from being held forever by dormant characters. Not necessarily at launch but somewhere down the line? 
Vote for Starmourn! Don't hurt Poffy.

Comments

• Like I said in the other thread, I'm not against player housing on planets/rocks/etc., but I want there to be the option of my ship as my home, a la Serenity.
  • I wouldn't mind having my own private spaceport...I hope that will be a thing someday
    Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall set me free.

----
    Almost dead yesterday, maybe dead tomorrow, but alive, gloriously alive, today.
    ----
    I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

• On the subject of housing, will clans or other player run organizations be able to create places like clan halls or spaceports or org-owned/operated vessels?
    Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall set me free.

----
    Almost dead yesterday, maybe dead tomorrow, but alive, gloriously alive, today.
    ----
    I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

• Yeah, less housing, more retiring to run an Inn kind of thing. Like sailors used to do in the Age of Sail. That would be cool. After years of exploring the spaceways, I retire to run an "Inn of the Last Home" on Song City. Would be awesome. 

• edited August 2017
    If I had to guess, everyone has their own spaceship soooo... maybe it's possible to deck that out with comfiness and stuff? A home wherever you are. Not quite the same as somewhere bricks and mortar I know, but it'd be cool anyways right?
  • The thrust of the original topic is, people want to be able to have their homes out 'in the world', to have housing where people can walk by it and see it daily.

While having your own ship is confirmed, what's not confirmed is... Well, Lusternia has something like this called 'Homesteads'.

Will we have homesteads is basically the question for @Aurelius .
  • It can be very frustrating for people to sit behind impassable walls because MUDs are just that--multi user--and the games are built on interrelationships. There are times that you want to do some solo-RP or just relax peacefully or have contained RP with specific individuals. It can be a fine line. MkO estates were nearly impregnable fortresses and it felt like a bit too much to me.
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk
  • @Pollivar
    With your ship docked, people can walk right by and see it, is what I was thinking. Like in Firefly/Serenity when the ship was sitting there at the landing field. It is "out in the world", in every sense. Just not always available.
  • I'd expect ships would be able to serve some of the functions of homes, though this might be limited by ship class and you probably wouldn't be able to expand much and instead would need remodel what is there.

But I also think that such housing comes with inherent dangers.

For example if you're keeping your valuables on your ship and it gets destroyed then your valuables would logically be destroyed.
    In this, valuables are things you want to keep around but not on your character books might be an example.

My personal ideal situation would be that ships work as above, while housing within the organisations capital would be mostly controlled by the parent organisation and then leased to players or clans.

The players/clans would pay rent annually for their home and each property would have a regular drain on the organisations bank (based on size and security mostly).

Organisations could construct more properties and expand them for a fee. Maybe with the option to build different hubs (So you might have hubs that are "the slums", "the clan tower", "the fancy suburb") possibly a really expensive option to place them actually out in the map. 

Shops could be folded into it, they could be handled just like any other property just with a shop upgrade.

In my mind, this would give the organisations a revenue stream through property that also had a gold drain attached to it. With security ratings and if the hubs are like subdivisions, then breaking into properties could also be supported unlike in estates and manses.