Skip to content

Syntax & QOL

Just a few things I'd like to weigh in on relating to clarity and efficacy with various syntax.

1) Transport Syntax p1
Unlike other transport syntax (TAKEOFF, STATION TRANSFER), KEY PTP and GATEWARP do not use 'to' before the argument. Attempting to do so with KEY PTP spits out an IC error message, rather than a corrective syntax error, which was extremely confusing to me on my first day: "The portal suddenly powers down indicating it may need repair." GATEWARP just spits out an invalid destination message.

I'd really like to see all of the syntax following the same basic setup since there are so many different ways to get around - I find most of my annoyance with handling transportation in Starmourn is just trying to get the syntax right on the first try.

2) Transport Syntax p2
Also relative to transport syntax, can we reach equality so far as which accept numbers (since all of the given lists are, after all, numbered) and which ones require a word input? KEY PTP only accepts numerical destinations, TAKEOFF and STATION TRANSFER accept both, but GATEWARP only accepts the word. Numerical option for gatewarping, please!

3) FHELP INDEX
Why does this exist? Just have FHELP default to the index, the extra step is unnecessary.

Comments

• Aebrua said:

3) FHELP INDEX
    Why does this exist? Just have FHELP default to the index, the extra step is unnecessary.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Idea # 3529                                                        Archived[ ]
    Reported 2018/12/27 21:20:21 by Maruna
    Log:
    Description:
        FHELP on its own showing the same as FHELP INDEX.

o:)

• I've submitted these in-game as well, but:

1) STATION TRANSFER TO OMNI, STATION TRANSFER TO LITHARGE, etc. should be things. (also SHIP TRAVEL TO STARLILY, if I'm adding to a station related wishlist)

2)  CARGO, MARKET ORDER and SHIPFORGE commands, among others could be standardized so they're all <root> <subroot> <ID/option> <#>? ie
    SHIPFORGE LOAD KINETICBATTERY 10
    CARGO MOVE KINETICBATTERY 10
    MARKET ORDER LIST ALL KINETICBATTERY
    MARKET ORDER TAKE 1111 10
    MARKET FULFILL 1111

Right now these are all arbitrarily either one way or another. Like, MARKET ORDER TAKE <id> <#>, but then it's MARKET ORDER <id> FULFILL.
    Come one, come all W'hoorn, to the Cultural Exchange where we can talk about being catbird klingons!
  • edited December 2018
    Aebrua said:
    3) FHELP INDEX
    I believe this is because FHELP (on its own) can be edited. I think Song has done this with theirs, allowing them to create their own table of contents, essentially, without defaulting to just the alphabetical list of files. It doesn't look like Scatterhome or CA has done that yet, so that might be why you're seeing the prompt to look at FHELP INDEX.

I was wrong - FHELP INDEX can be edited, FHELP REALINDEX shows the list of all files.
  • Yah, can definitely see a standardisation pass here, different coders did thing a little differently. 
  • It might be confusion at time, but for me the different ways makes it more interesting to me. It makes every part of the game unique in it's own way. I mean, did the same IC people make each item/s you interact with? It makes my immersion better because it's more realistic. If that makes any sense.
    (Scatterhome): Cal says, "We're called Scatterhome after what everybody does at the end of the night when it's time for someone to pay the bar tab."
    (Scatterhome): You say, "Which by my calculations, it's your turn to pay."
    (Scatterhome): Brantar says, "That's what my calculations have come to."
    (Scatterhome): Paavo says, "My math adds up to that, yeah."
    (Scatterhome): Cal says, "Bastards."