Skip to content

B.E.A.S.T.ly stuff

Before I ask questions, I figured I'd offer up my findings on hunting since I haven't seen anything with all this info in one place.

Best damage in order (as far as I've found with 0 in aim and strength)

1) MWP TEAR with ROUTE SMALL and SERRATE ON

2) PLASMA BURN with NOZZLE WIDE 

3) SUIT BACKHAND followed by MWP WRISTBLADE

**Obviously this is all dependant on your most recently upgraded weapon
***If sufficiently high in your hunting area you can use AOE damage while hunting but it will affect players so be careful and considerate
***MWP MISSILES -> MWP PINDOWN (wait.  Some mobs will let you get 2 ticks of PINDOWN before smacking you out of the channel) -> RUMBLE

DEF bonuses are significant.  Though I haven't begun to gather data to get a good idea on how much exactly, I'd guess both NOZZLE WIDE and ROUTE are 10-15%

What doesn't work (at least by my perception)
MWP LAUNCH -> NETLAUNCH or HOOKNET (says mob is entangled, but they keep fighting without curing and I've tried timing it to the best of my ability without noticeable affect)
PLASMA COMBUST (could be cause we're not able to damage muscular enough before killing, but I've yet to be able to stick a scorch affliction to noticeable affect)
Limb Damage (HOBBLE, ARMVICE, and LEGCLAMP) 

My Questions/Curiosity
What exactly does MWP TWIST do in relation to SHARPEN and SERRATE? Just increase the effects of the DEFs?
Is there a way in group combat to not target allys with room affects?  

Comments

• NETLAUNCH is a great interrupt, especially against drones in the 10-15 area when they spin up for a charged attack. Use queueing and netlaunch as soon as the drone starts it’s channel to disrupt it.
  • TWIST does internal damage, and sharpen supposedly increases internal damage dealt the  - but the mobs cure it really fast ('mobx has cured Sepsis L1' seems to appear within seconds). 

Regarding your damage, in a 10-15 area with a level 10 wristblade, I find with a level 10 wristblade, no routing:
    1. tear highest DPS if the mob survives long enough for the second tick of bleeding
    2. If the mob goes down faster, backhand/wristblade is higher DPS
    3. wide nozzle with douse first: burn is great damage BUT the DPS is lower because douse is 3 seconds with no damage at all
    Regarding combust: legclamp, armvice, a couple of the railgun attacks and some others all do muscular damage. Unlike internal damage, the mobs don't seem to cure muscular damage quickly. This easily leads to a single scorched aff but what am I going to do with it? I can't conflagrate because I don't have inferno yet and can't use consumption to get plasma high enough (it's a bit wrong that the prerequisite for consumption>conflagrate is 600 lessons further on, but I'm sure they'll tweak that stuff in time).
  • With the change to prone against bashing mobs, I'm having some success with leg damage>hobble. Takes time for the mobs to get back up due to the limb damage, which halts their damage output.

I was trying Inferno>Hobblex2>combust>consumption>conflag, however even after the inferno fix, it seems that resistance needs to be off for consumption to take your plamsa into very high. I found the self-inflicted damage from inferno with resistance off was a bit too annoying while hunting.
  • Railshot and Headshot are good alternatives. Suit Route to Large and the Rail Gun hits really well. 
  • Serrate needs a nerf. Maybe a 10% damage reduction or something in exchange for the extra bleed. Without serrate tear is about where it should be imo.
  • BeepBoop said:
    Serrate needs a nerf. Maybe a 10% damage reduction or something in exchange for the extra bleed. Without serrate tear is about where it should be imo.
    I disagree. What's your strength at? My wrist blade is my weakest hitting ability. 
  • Jericho said:
    BeepBoop said:
    Serrate needs a nerf. Maybe a 10% damage reduction or something in exchange for the extra bleed. Without serrate tear is about where it should be imo.
    I disagree. What's your strength at? My wrist blade is my weakest hitting ability. 
    I capped my strength.
  • BeepBoop said:
    Jericho said:
    BeepBoop said:
    I capped my strength.

Then that may just be what happens if you dump your points into strength, it is after all the stat that amplifies melee damage. It doesn't necessarily correlate to needing a nerf. However I'm only level 21 and I've only dumped 7 points into strength. I got Lifeforce to 200 and aim to 200 first so my ranged abilities hit harder than anything melee I do at this time. 
  • It really seems like PLASMA BURN is better for mobs you can kill in 3-4 balances.  Above that, the MWP TEAR route is better because the bleed ticks are high enough.
  • Personally, I do the following:
    1. Plasma heatup (to medium)
    2. Resistance
    3. Nozzle wide
    4. Suit jamming on

Then I go to town spamming burn and support (while hunting). Seems to be the simplest approach, but I might try some ideas in this thread. Thanks for sharing, all!
  • Why Jamming?  What does that actually do?
  • More for paranoia...so people can't use radar and other location tracking skills to find you.
  • This is the kind of thread I've been waiting on for awhile. I've also been playing BEAST since the game launched. I work 70 hours a week or so, so I'm not able to bash as much as some other people have, but even still, I'm level 37 right now. Tear used to be the best with Serrate, but since the nerf to bleeding, I find that Backhand/Wristblade is better. I've also tried Plasmacasting/Burn, which is pretty decent, but the Backhand/Wristblade just has the highest average damage, tbh.

Something I'd like to know, however, is what is the damage from Plasmacasting based on? Does it go up with level? It's not based on an equipped weapon obviously, and does Aim affect it? I tried raising my Aim and it didn't seem to have much if any effect.

I would also note, always have Suit Contingency on if you have it. One of the most invaluable skills to have, just in case.
  • I think plasma level and your level but I don't really know.
  • AIM is supposed to affect it, but the returns seem small. honestly strength and aim both seem to give crap returns for BEAST. I'm not sure about plasma level, it -might- include plasmacasting learned. It does scale to level.

Serrated Tear is again just edging out backhand/wristblade btw. Which is fine, as Tear is so far into the tree it should.
  • Plasma damage is based on the Aim stat, and can be modified with the NOZZLE ability in Plasmacasting. I don't know if it scales with any equipment, but you can also use DOUSE to prep someone for more plasma damage. 
  • Thanks for this information!  Please continue - it is helpful to understanding the mechanics of the game.
  • Fyi, devs said somewhere that damage (or any other form of effectiveness) is never based on skill rank here in SM.

• Huh well burning isn't based off of a weapon so do you think it's stat based or level based?  My vote is the latter
  • It'll be based on something probably.

Aim will increase the damage of your abilities that require firing your
    weapons (most abilities in MWP and Plasmacasting).
  • I know everyone is super busy, so I risk the ...IRE...of the people at...IRE...or whatever, but any way we could get some insight onto what Plasmacasting damage is based on @Tecton or @Garryn?
  • For those who can't get in game at the moment (work etc):
    -- Updates - #38 --------------------------------------------------------------
    Date: 12/30/2018 at 16:10
    Author: Garryn, the Reshaper
    Subject: B.E.A.S.T wristblade attacks.
    Some adjustments to the B.E.A.S.T wristblade attacks:
    - Serrate no longer inflicts bleeding, it now adds extra muscular damage
    - Sharpen damage malus removed
    - Tear base damage reduced
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Kilpa said:
    For those who can't get in game at the moment (work etc):
    -- Updates - #38 --------------------------------------------------------------
    Date: 12/30/2018 at 16:10
    Author: Garryn, the Reshaper
    Subject: B.E.A.S.T wristblade attacks.
    Some adjustments to the B.E.A.S.T wristblade attacks:
    - Serrate no longer inflicts bleeding, it now adds extra muscular damage
    - Sharpen damage malus removed
    - Tear base damage reduced
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah. I saw this. If I wasn't quite on about Backhand/Wristblade being better than Tear, I certainly am now after testing. My Tears do like 200-220 to mobs now. My Backhand/Wristblade does almost double.

On another note, this can be a good change, at least for pvp or whatever, since you can have your wristblade attacks do additional muscular or internal, your choice. Interesting stuff.
  • edited December 2018
    Do you just alternate backhand and wristblade?  Also, even doing that, I -still- think just using PLASMA BURN is better.  I'm getting 200-230 a hit on 3 second balance on BURN (sometimes as high as 270 and sometimes as low as 190).  With backhand I get 160-180 on 3.5 second balance, then 250-270 on a 3 second balance.  What this means is that on average I'm getting 71.7 dps with BURN, and 66.2 dps with the BACKHAND/WRISTBLADE combination.
  • @Yalau Keep in mind that wristblade damage scales with the equipment as well as strength, so it is a little less consistent in progression than plasma burn. You do just alternate backhand/wristblade, though. Backhand afflicts with dazed, wristblade damage increases against dazed targets. 
  • Actually I just tested it - I haven't needed to alternate.  I hit them with backhand once then for 3 more wristblades (until the mob died) they were hit "particularly hard" with bonus damage!
  • Oh, huh. That's much better than I thought it was, thanks
  • Goat said:
    I know everyone is super busy, so I risk the ...IRE...of the people at...IRE...or whatever, but any way we could get some insight onto what Plasmacasting damage is based on @Tecton or @Garryn?
    Right now, the Aim stat and level. This may change.