Skip to content

Changes to the new player experience, divisions of space and other ideas pulled from other games

edited December 2018 in The Commsphere
So these are listed in order of what I view as easiest to hardest to implement.

So ideally, the tutorial should be immune from griefing, and should be a safe haven until the player is comfortable with the base mechanics of the game. This is currently kind of the case, however, after it ends and you get to Omni station or your factions station, you are able to be grief'd, killed, shot, mostly without immediate consequences relying on appeals for consequences. And you can become vulnerable to trolling by other players because of that slow issuing system. Right now the only recourse a station has to ban you, or even remove you by force, is a constant player guard, or guards that are easily removed by others.

More than that a player issuing system is inherently bias'd. And will be overstrained in no time without systematic consequences. Leading to slow issue turnover times and appeal times.

My immediate proposal for salvaging the new player experience without many changes.

BODYGUARD SYSTEM

Until level 10 or 5 hours played actively outside tutorial instances, new players have a level 50+ body guard in the form of one of Cassandra Min's crew people. This bodyguard would be inherently programmed to only defend in the case of actual aggressive acts given to the newbie. And would have scripting that pulled attacks towards the newbie towards them instead. This would allow a safer learning period and entry time to the game. And should be fairly easy to implement without massive changes.

CITY AND STATION GUARDS

Omni is under grace. That's fine, but Reynolds, Celestine and Danica, three major hubs for newbies, and staging posts are not. And feasibly they cannot be, The issue with this, is that this leaves newbies open to being killed, both intentionally in griefing instances. And that is bad. Players have protested to station guards being a thing by killing the ones that have been put down so far, and more than that, they are prohibitively expensive for production and use in any feasible scale. I would like to see a passive guard force, that doesn't attack unless a conflict is started and acts as a policing force not a murder squard. Breaking up the fight unless the person is enemies of the residing faction, in which case fighting on the side of the allied faction of the station. If you are "killed" with the guards around, they take your unconscious "corpse" and lock you up for processing in a private area, this is a time out zone essentially, where you are blocked from says and group tells, but can still private tell some people(Your lawyer right essentially, but also could be used to contact a smuggler to get you our. A merc squad to raid the prison and open the gates Etc)  And if you get enemied you get corpsed and can't clone back into the station, getting a free ride to Omni. Ships there in your ownership impounded etc. Or just shot out the docking bay and set adrift.

SPACE FORCE--- I mean CONCORDOUKEN --- I mean equivalents of High sec, low sec, and nullsec.

Areas claimed by a main empires/faction should have a set police force that responds with speed and power based on distance to the station, and any piratical acts or enemies within the borders would be pursued by them to the edge of the borders. They would be in large ships with fast engines, so that they are infeasible to evade or to kill without significant effort, but their efficacy should descend, the further to the edge or away from a station you are in space. They would also put an alert with the ship name and owner during the piratical act being discovered to allow enemying by faction.

Further out from that in the unclaimed or loose areas, you should have a layer of lower security space where the majority of the piratical actions take place. Basically the tradelanes middles where the patrols are less fierce from each empire. Where pirates and grizzled mercenaries can ply their ship combat skills.

After that you should have the player controlled zones. these would be the cosmpiercer sectors. And the areas around it, where player factions will vie for control of the peircers and possibly select asteroids for factional gain. I'll have another write up on cosmpiercers themselves when I am done collating my thoughts on these. But ideally these zones would be mass risk mass reward areas.  And largely lawless regarding pvp. There would be few permanent usable stations, relying on the adhoc security of the cosmpiercers visibility and the armadas and player pilots vying for control. And there would be cooldown and defense timers on each transfer to allow for the defense and assault to be staged and planned. Rather than be an adhoc situation where we kind of scrabble and by the time we get their they've probably taken the piercer and moved on.

The most important part is that barring a bug, losses and deaths to these entities, should not be issuable. If you get killed by a newbies body guard, you attacked that newbie, and probably didn't rp and provide interesting content along the way. If you get captured by city guards, or killed someone and were captured by city guards, then you've got RP situations to get out of there. If you get killed by someone who then got captured by the guards, then there's their punishment. Fuck with them later or call for their enemying in faction if you want, but only once, and only with acknowledgement for RP that happens or has happened.

That's all I got so far. These are just suggestions, nothing here is a demand, nothing here is anything beyond an idea starter and a suggestion.

What do you all think.

Regards

Rhea
Dyslexic(Symbolic Dyslexia and Subtracting-Substitution Dyslexia according to a doctor I had at one point.) and have lost my glasses and lack the ability to pay for a new set.
Thank you for understanding.

Comments

• I think the level 50+ bodyguard should be unkillable, so people don't just find it to be an interesting challenge. I'm not sure about the practicality of all the ideas, it's over my head really.
  • Traveler said:
    I think the level 50+ bodyguard should be unkillable, so people don't just find it to be an interesting challenge. I'm not sure about the practicality of all the ideas, it's over my head really.
    Yeah, there was another game I used to play that spawned nearly impossible PVE as a consequence for punching below your weight class, and organizing groups to take on that PVE became one of the main events of that game. This isn't a deterrent unless it's a guaranteed loss.

I don't see it suggested above, but I would suggest that, while faction stations can't reasonably be graced, the clone rooms in those stations probably should be if they're not already. This should at least add a requirement of patience to spawn camping.
    Character: Edon
    Race: Elgan
    Class: Engineer
  • @Selador
    Clone rooms are graced,

And you can use the command RECLONE upon cloning to avoid spawn camping. it drops you onto to OMNI station which is fully graced.
    Dyslexic(Symbolic Dyslexia and Subtracting-Substitution Dyslexia according to a doctor I had at one point.) and have lost my glasses and lack the ability to pay for a new set.
  • edited December 2018
    Traveler said:
    I think the level 50+ bodyguard should be unkillable, so people don't just find it to be an interesting challenge. I'm not sure about the practicality of all the ideas, it's over my head really.
    Very good point. The reason I left the opportunity was to prevent people from creating newbies to have their 5 hours of griefing and trolling of a faction. But you are probably right. As is Selador.
  • edited December 2018
    You don't really need a bodyguard npc to follow you around. Most of the other IREs have a level gated grace where they cannot be attacked or attack other players unless they opt out or hit a level that is no longer considered "newbie". Save resources for important things like the 50 billion engineer pets and turrets laying around.
  • Minion said:
    You don't really need a bodyguard npc to follow you around. Most of the other IREs have a level gated grace where they cannot be attacked or attack other players unless they opt out or hit a level that is no longer considered "newbie". Save resources for important things like the 50 billion engineer pets and turrets laying around.
    That'd actually be much simpler than what I said, I was just trying to be thematic and role play that shit. Sorry.

This guy is smart, do that. Just grace the little ones till they attack someone. Or level enough.
  • Could roleplay it as a personal shield system similar to Dune. Wasn't trying to be an asshole... this time.
  • Minion said:
    Could roleplay it as a personal shield system similar to Dune. Wasn't trying to be an asshole... this time.
    Wasn't trying to be an asshole either, and yeah, that'd be a good idea to role play it.