Skip to content

IEDs - Scoundrel Feedback

IEDs are a pain.
I currently have 1500 IEDs.  Add a mod to those and thats 8s per IED.

At 1500 that's 3h20min of non stop IED making action.  I'm certain I'm not the only one making IEDs, and I could see this starting to be a problem not only from an inventory management perspective, but just increases the sheer number of items tracked serverside (I've heard this is a problem in other IRE's but dunno why).

Some solutions would be:

1. Make IEDs not an item, and it's just a thing that you do. IE: "Fling ripper shrapnel at critter" or "lob pusher wiring e"
2. Make IEDs way better but make them cost marks
3. Make IEDs better but limit the number you can own

Personally I prefer #1. Takes out all the QOL complaints for IEDs.

Comments

• Make IEDs better...?
    Make IEDs not an item...?

-- DISTORTER (Improvisation) --------------------------------------------------
    The IED's contents, when mixed, will induce a hallucinogenic effect, giving the sluggish affliction and distorting the victim's sense of time. The length of the effect will scale based upon how damaged their mind subsystem is.

Make IEDs like a Dreamweaver's Motes in Lusternia, or Tarot with their Decks.

Dreamcatcher:
    It can store up to 25 motes.

Decks:
    You may store up to 5000 of each card type.

Personally, I'd prefer it to work like motes, but whatever...

• I can see the problem with items serverside but please not #2. As for the time to craft, I almost always autopilot so that's when I make them. Been meaning to make a script to automate that but I haven't yet.
    I'm gone.
  • #1 ideally
    If the craft time is important for a reason we're all unaware of, please consider:

1. store them in a bag of some sort or have them form stacks. This solves the item tracking issue and cleans up our inventories
    2. change the crafting process to create multiples per command. "You scrounge around and assemble 20 rippers.'

• Maybe the better question is why are you making that many?
  • He doesn't want to run out. 1500 seems a bit excessive, but then again who wants to waste actual playtime crafting them? No doubt he made a basic script to stock up on IEDs while doing something outside the game. I know I used to milk venom in other IRE games while cooking dinner - just sit the laptop on the bench to keep an eye on it and not break any afk rules while going about cooking.

• edited December 2018
    Not having the craft time would make IEDs pretty wild.

They're already a bit too strong, but at the moment that's sort of mitigated by the fact people are spending IRL hours crafting them.
  • Eh, I try to keep 50 on me at all times but I'm only level 13. I might bump it up to 100 but it's already irritating the way they display ungrouped in the Nexus tab.
    I'm gone.
  • If you build them during downtime between fights when waiting for regen/stim CD it doesn't make such an impact time-wise. Especially if you trans Skirmishing! 
  • Is this a bad time to mention that IEDs degrade? You really shouldn't make that many as they only last a real life week before going bad and disappearing.
  • edited December 2018

Fyrel said:
    Is this a bad time to mention that IEDs degrade? You really shouldn't make that many as they only last a real life week before going bad and disappearing.
    I have used 800 IEDs since this posting. :)  (7 hours for future people that look back at the funny timestamps!)
  • Archer said:

Fyrel said:
    Is this a bad time to mention that IEDs degrade? You really shouldn't make that many as they only last a real life week before going bad and disappearing.
    I have used 800 IEDs since this posting. :)  (7 hours for future people that look back at the funny timestamps!)
    Shit, yea I could see that. That's about 3.5 hours of solid combat, assuming an IED every reload and a 2s balance.
    I'm gone.
  • Am I missing something as a Scoundrel? Are you using them for player combat or bashing scenarios?
  • Annesani said:
    Am I missing something as a Scoundrel? Are you using them for player combat or bashing scenarios?
    Flinging a Ripper while reloading is a nice way to keep pressure up on your bashing target.
  • A delicate compromise would just be to give toolkits a number of 'charges' that allow for use of IED related skills until the charges are exhausted, and the toolkit then needs to be repaired or resupplied at a Quickmark Pawn, perhaps with some option in Improvisation to create a 'resupply kit' that adds charges to the toolkit on the fly, but has a much longer creation cost.

I can respect why they might want some time investment component involved in Improvisation given how hard some of the things hit, and also to encourage some sort of nascent economy later down the line for people who want to use IEDs as a primary.
  • edited December 2018
    While I like Shrik's idea, I think that rather than a thing that you have to shell out money to refill, it could just be a timed/rooms moved thing. The fail message could be something like:
    Looking in your toolkit you find that you're missing some of the components needed for an explosive worthy of the name. Maybe once you've found more crap lying around...