Skip to content

Did engineer really need a 70% damage nerf to bleed?

Engineer's basic attacks already do far less than, say, BEAST's. This seems like a very harsh nerf....

Comments

• ...Yeah, can't do enough DPS to kill the things I was hunting before now. Even within the recommended level range :/
  • Ok, so now even downgrading a tier I still have to run from mobs I used to be able to finish without much hassle. This is a sledgehammer nerf and I don't get why it happened, engineer was not the OP bashing class.
  • Parity with Nanoseer!

(Except Nanoseer was crippled by this IRL)
  • Wuff said:
    Parity with Nanoseer!

(Except Nanoseer was crippled by this IRL)
    I guess we all have to go beast. Luckily I hadn't put enough lessons into engineer to get hit by the 50% penalty.
  • Cyrn, a level 67 nanoseer, already proved that his damage was at least on par with mine, a level 70 beast.
  • BeepBoop said:
    Cyrn, a level 67 nanoseer, already proved that his damage was at least on par with mine, a level 70 beast.
    I don't know about Nanoseer, but engineer at 65+ can no longer fight in 65+ areas.

I've been seeing reports that even in duos, 40~50 engineers can't fight in level 40~50 areas anymore too.

Why exactly did Garryn think engineer was so OP to merit getting curbstomped? I don't get it...
  • edited December 2018
    Shinonome said: 

I don't know about Nanoseer, but engineer at 65+ can no longer fight in 65+ areas.

I've been seeing reports that even in duos, 40~50 engineers can't fight in level 40~50 areas anymore too.

Why exactly did Garryn think engineer was so OP to merit getting curbstomped? I don't get it...
    Apparently people were getting bleedstacks of 1000+, but the only instances I've heard of this were in groups where everyone's bleedstacks got applied together.

The damage nerf REALLY hurts though, my output in a group got dropped to 1/3 what it was, and I'm doing less damage than a scoundrel 10 levels behind me was.
    Feraluna has called for the honoring of Razzy for the following reason: somehow setting Reynolds on fire, killing someone, and then calling for her own besmirching.
  • My bleed stacks got nerfed too. I have gone back to backhand wristblade. The 65+ zones aren't actually 65, but 70 or even higher. With the penalty to damage on higher level mobs I can't do them either. 
  • BeepBoop said:
    My bleed stacks got nerfed too. I have gone back to backhand wristblade. The 65+ zones aren't actually 65, but 70 or even higher. With the penalty to damage on higher level mobs I can't do them either. 
    Do you know where I can buy level 60~70 weapons for beast?
  • By asking in game.
    Eukelade gives you a peck on the cheek.
  • edited December 2018
    I think Scoundrel nerf was probably more unwarranted. We actually got a 90% damage nerf. For an ability that is a huge lesson and time investment (Shrapnel), since in addtion to making the bombs on a 4 second balance, applying the shrapnel is another 4 second balance. So to prep for bashing, I spent over 2 hours just sitting there making bombs (which might last a day or two). And it's not a spammable ability like other bleed abilities, it is used as a reload and so in effect a finisher.

But the damage is so tiny now, I wish I had my lessons back from Improvisation since it's just such a buggy skill overall with very little in it that makes it worth learning.
  • Anonymous said:
    I think Scoundrel nerf was probably more unwarranted. We actually got a 90% damage nerf. For an ability that is a huge lesson and time investment (Shrapnel), since in addtion to making the bombs on a 4 second balance, applying the shrapnel is another 4 second balance. So to prep for bashing, I spent over 2 hours just sitting there making bombs (which might last a day or two). And it's not a spammable ability like other bleed abilities, it is used as a reload and so in effect a finisher.

But the damage is so tiny now, I wish I had my lessons back from Improvisation since it's just such a buggy skill overall with very little in it that makes it worth learning.

This might be more to do with the new scaling thing they put in. Just after the bleed nerf but before the new anti-grind stuff, we went from 400 damage to 100 damage. Then with the scaling, we went from 100 damage to 50 damage (and basic attack damage got halved as well).
  • edited December 2018
    Either way, it's basically a pointless ability now as the damage is trivial, it's no longer worth the time or lesson investment. Way overshot the mark on this one.

Edit: I take this back, they didn't nerf the PvP damage that much, so I'm ok with it.
  • Agreed. Terrible timing too. Even if staff only take the 24th and 25th off we can't play until maybe a fix comes on the 26th. And if they take more time off...

Bleh....
  • Yeah, this bleed nerf was a bit much. I'm fighting things my level and can barely kill them before I die now.
  • edited December 2018
    Tecton, if you're reading this, I thought BUG 2879 might have been fixed with the recent changes, but I just tested it, it's still there.

I feel like I can't bash till it's fixed, but I know most Scoundrels are abusing it simply because they aren't aware of it. Mostly because I don't want to make more bombs to replace the ones I can't use.
  • I understand the need to reduce bleed on some classes, but engineers were generating an average of 200-250 on a mob before it died. That mixed with out ~200 damage attack evened us out. We are definitely a lot weaker now in bashing.
  • edited December 2018
    @ Ekary Pfft, Engineer was definitely significantly better at bashing than Scoundrels before the changes, due to being so much tankier. Not sure how they are now in comparison.
  • Anonymous said:
    @ Ekary Pfft, Engineer was definitely significantly better at bashing than Scoundrels before the changes, due to being so much tankier. Not sure how they are now in comparison.
    Before the nerfs, Scoundrel had some high burst damage/DPS abilities, but the light armor means they can't take hits as well. Sort of glass-cannon-y basically. Engineer was a middle ground. Beast was very tanky (though erm, they don't seem to lose damage in exchange).

Post-nerf engineer right now can't hold its own in recommended areas for a level so if you're playing a class that can, it's stronger than engineer.
  • edited December 2018
    Well as a Scoundrel, I can't handle 30-40 zones. In duos it's even still iffy simply because the damage output. 20-30 were mostly easy though. Except Nightstalkers, still can't do those safely at 31.
  • Anonymous said:
    Well as a Scoundrel, I can't handle 30-40 zones. In duos it's even still iffy simply because the damage output. 20-30 were mostly easy though. Except Nightstalkers, still can't do those safely at 31.
    Well if it's any consolation engineer isn't any better now. I even went back to an old zone, doing 1/3rd of my old damage with basic attacks and 1/4th of the old bleed damage. Can't kill stuff even though it takes it a while to grind my health down (since I'm overleveled.)

Guess it'll be a merry christmas without starmourn. Pity, liked this game, wanted to play it over the break.
  • Is the bleed move the only option for engineer? I'm sure you guys have other options.
  • edited December 2018
    Albion said:
    Is the bleed move the only option for engineer? I'm sure you guys have other options.
    Our basic attack damage is very low (and even lower now) because engineer relies a lot on bleed damage, yes.

If there's some ability I'm missing that does high damage without cooldown I'd love to know about it.
  • The bleed change also affects Beasts. Wristblade was something that some of us used because after most of the MWP attacks prove pointless in PVE, it was the best one. To be honest, for those of us who don't have 6-8 hours a day of free time to spend on this game, the leveling process was slow/difficult enough. Now, at level 27, killing things in a 20-30 area, I barely kill things before they kill me, and then gain like .5% or less. Not a fan of this change, has really sort of taken the wind out of my sails.
  • I just tested and I do full damage with basic attacks on mobs 35 levels below my current level, so I guess that part is just the new scaling.
  • Bleed nerf also hit Fury pretty heavily since our main damage combo relied on keeping a bleed up. The good news is that the instant that you unlock Unstoppable & Slice it stops being a problem (but then you have to contrive to get 80% rage to activate Unstoppable and hope there isn't a lack of mobs or you lose it and have to start over).

So yeah I don't like the bleed nerf.
  • Made some more changes, should now be closer to the original numbers for mobs (at lower stacks at least, the diminishing returns are there for mobs too). The change was mainly aimed at PvP, where the bleeding ticks were rather crazy.
  • edited December 2018
    Garryn said:
    Made some more changes, should now be closer to the original numbers for mobs (at lower stacks at least, the diminishing returns are there for mobs too). The change was mainly aimed at PvP, where the bleeding ticks were rather crazy.
    Thank you. I'm testing it out and... I can do full basic attack damage against level appropriate mobs (so scaling was fixed overnight too, it seems).

Bleeding appears to be 25~30% lower than the original value now. I can't take on about 1/3rd of the mobs in level appropriate areas and have to run away more often, but it's better than not being able to fight at all...
  • edited December 2018
    Cyrn is the third highest level in the game and he's outdamaged by a BEAST about 30 levels lower than him.

BeepBoop said:
    Cyrn, a level 67 nanoseer, already proved that his damage was at least on par with mine, a level 70 beast.

• beast the new hunting op class