Skip to content

General ship feedback

Thread for general ship feedback, flying, combat, refits, ammo, weapons, mining/scooping, etc

Comments

• edited December 2018
    Let me start off by saying the ship combat and ship representation is probably the best I've seen in a 2D environment, well done on that.

However, there  are some things which seem quite odd.

Firstly,  is an issue that I've experienced which is component destruction.
       Things like the complete destruction of an engine can completely cripple your ship, (presently) leaving you stranded until you are destroyed or moved by an admin.  Being destroyed is fine if you were active in PvP/PvE combat but component damage can also be accrued by (auto)piloting into a planet, leaving you stuck in its rings and completely immune to damage.
       I feel it's probably best if components cannot be completely destroyed beyond but instead as a pilot you have to undergo a long channel (5+ minutes) to get your spacecraft in working order again.  This channel could also extend to not only bringing back components from the brink of destruction but also repairing as a whole (as sometimes you can't move with a malfunctioning engine). This'll stop the stranding effect as well as keeping it from being a factor in later  ship PvP.

Secondly,
      Shields, while they are functional, this happens all too often:

[ Speed: 3 (100%) | Hull: 100% | Shield: 100% | Cap: 0% | RS-5049 (112, 88) ] 
    Veering around, a rogue mining drone lances your hull with a searing mining laser.
    The shipsim locks down into combat mode.
    The attack bypasses our shields!
    The ship's capacitor sputters and starts backfiring.
    Hull Damage: 201
    The damage tears through the hull and damages your capacitor system, bringing it to -20%.

A single shot destroying a component through 100% shield.  What's not pictured is of course my angling towards the ship which was quite poor.  Yes, I know it's just the capacitor system but it's also happened to my engine or other key components.

Thirdly,
      Cargo management: additional functionality like jettisoning cargo -- unless it's a specific design choice -- would be appreciated.

Finally ( for this post ),
      Losing a ship is -probably- too punishing at the moment.  It's 500 (astromech), 1000 (repair kits), 350 (new insurance) to get fitted out again.  This one's difficult for me to say though without having a better idea of what the endgame economy is going to be like.
  • Yeah, I think there's something funky going on with component damage, both when people run into things, and from the look of the logs there, when taking ship damage. Crashing into one bit of debris should knock some shields and do a bit of damage, but it seems like it's completely crippling ships (which it wasn't doing last week). BUG it, if you haven't, and we'll take a look as soon as possible.
  • It's so so so spammy. Is there a way to turn off the map and just view it manually?
  • You have done a super job and everything is great so far.  I know you can't fix stupid, but I ended up with the word agree appended to my ship name. I'm sure it was my fault, any way to mask that from happening? 
  • Elim said:
    You have done a super job and everything is great so far.  I know you can't fix stupid, but I ended up with the word agree appended to my ship name. I'm sure it was my fault, any way to mask that from happening? 
    All set.
  • Only thing I noticed that was frustrating was an entire incursion last night that dropped nothing but mining probes (hindsight I probably should have BUGed it).

Hopes for the future.
    Location wide notice in an incursion area when enemies get to 0%

Just end the incursion when enemies get to 0% and start a new one. Couple times during peak traffic more than 1/2 incursions we're at 0 enemies and just waiting to time out
  • Thanks Faran
  • Can we also have a syntax for stopping ship repairs? Sometimes, I want to repair my hull, but I don't want to repair it to full, is it possible to have like SHIP REPAIR STOP and it will stop repairing my hull to full, etc?
  • edited December 2018
    Sethysia said:
    Can we also have a syntax for stopping ship repairs? Sometimes, I want to repair my hull, but I don't want to repair it to full, is it possible to have like SHIP REPAIR STOP and it will stop repairing my hull to full, etc?

SHIP REPAIR AUTO might toggle it off but I'd need to check to be absolutely sure. I do understand that a SHIP REPAIR STOP would be more fitting as a command though
    wandering star punk

• Zack said:
    Sethysia said:
    Can we also have a syntax for stopping ship repairs? Sometimes, I want to repair my hull, but I don't want to repair it to full, is it possible to have like SHIP REPAIR STOP and it will stop repairing my hull to full, etc?

SHIP REPAIR AUTO might toggle it off but I'd need to check to be absolutely sure. I do understand that a SHIP REPAIR STOP would be more fitting as a command though

It doesn't. I tried.
  • It would be really nice to have the space map update as incursion enemies move through it much like it does when player ships pass by. Approaching at slower speeds to fire on a target ends up making things harder sometimes because the target will move several spaces in the time it takes you to move once resulting in what looks like a teleporting target. 

SHIP CONE would be nice to be able to just toggle ON instead of only on a 60s window.

Not sure if there's any sneaky GMCP ship data like with mob health but it'd be nice if there was and if it's there already it'd be pretty neat if it wasn't hidden.

Components are a bit under explained I feel? Maybe I'm just dumb but I upgraded my shipsim to free up more cycles so I could use my cannon and not be at 94% usage and I ended up losing like 600 speed(not sure what metric our speed is measured in). This might be working as intended but the fact that Im not sure despite reading every help file I could find makes me feel like it could be put in clearer terms. Also, I can't upgrade my engine but I'm not sure if that's because of my interceptor or some other reason. Again something I feel like could be stated more clearly somewhere.

Aside from that stuff which is pretty minor despite the probably overlong explanation, I freaking love ships. I went on my first incursions today (way over prepared for them I was scared of blowing up) and they were awesome. Super fun and surprisingly profitable! Just generally awesome job on ships! (Ignoring the occasional hiccup when autopilot flings me into a sun)
  • I feel like repairing in general could stand to be more efficient as well. I struggle to make marks at all out and about because I'm constantly repairing one form of damage or another. I would sell my first cousin to be able to devote cycles to being able to set threshholds for repairing various components to make sure my mechs aren't charging the gates to fix my hull when it's at 99%, using a repair kit that essentially wastes a ton of theoretical hull it could have healed. I'd even be cool if the granularity and complexity of such a theoretical system were tied to shipsim rank and captaincy levels.

Speaking of which, if we could unlock or just have the ability for our shipsim to calculate routes to far-flung regions by toggling on automatic voidgate use, I'd be pleased as punch. Likewise would love to have a SHIP TRAVEL TO STATION to have it look for the station in the sector if there is one, or fly to the nearest station on the list if not. Both of these are more "That'd be neat" than a make or break fix, but since feedback is asked for...
    Come one, come all W'hoorn, to the Cultural Exchange where we can talk about being catbird klingons!
  • SHIP REPAIR AUTO does toggle it off, but it continues to repair your ship until it is finished. Once you have a ship that is 100% undamaged, it will not auto repair the next time you're damaged. Personally I would prefer it stopped right away.
    As T'rath has pierced the veil, so will I, and so will my life become complete in a good death.
    Jin
    VOTE FOR STARMOURN
    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM
    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    GrootToday at 2:16 PM
      if there's no kittens in space
      I'm going on a rampage
    TectonToday at 2:17 PM
      They're called w'hoorn, Groot
      sets out a saucer of milk