Skip to content

Class Change

Was wondering if there was any chance we could get a free class change for those of us that embraced and totally regret it. Since the game is brand new, I know some of us embraced class only to find out it becomes really lack luster when you get your skills leveled up. A single free class change would be awesome, 50% lesson loss to change is brutal.

Comments

• edited December 2018
    I was actually thinking about this too for the last few days, for one of those one time only ordeals while it's early.
  • If we do I want a lesson refund for one of the ones I already made :D
  • I would like this idea, maybe only for open beta or a short time period. Lets people settle on the class they love before locking it in.
    Smuggler has been alright so far but would really like to try the others out to know, in review of other skills I think I might like nanoseer a lot more, but no way to really know.

That or introduce multiclassing!
  • No multiclass. No omni-proficient traders. No changelings. No artefacts that generate currencies (I love you, Lusternia, but wtf?)
  • I'd rather have multiclassing than be forced into altaholism to try everything.
  • So would I, but that doesn't mean it would be good for the game.
  • Just to needlessly echo the above, I do not believe there should be any multiclassing. I think the current system is fine as it is, and I say that as someone who has -repeatedly- lost 50% of total lessons switching classes in other IRE games.

I also want no artifacts but that's a pipe dream.
  • Please please please this.
    Download Montem System for Nexus Client - https://pastebin.com/MBEn7S0u
  • What if there was a class change ticket that could be purchased for x amount of credits, no lesson loss, but make the cost significant enough that someone's not just going to hop around class to class unless they've got hundreds at their disposal to the game?
  • NoxAmara said:
    What if there was a class change ticket that could be purchased for x amount of credits, no lesson loss, but make the cost significant enough that someone's not just going to hop around class to class unless they've got hundreds at their disposal to the game?
    No thanks, would just like to be able to switch classes at the beginning to see what I like.  Having a credit cost is the same as the lesson penalty.
  • I suppose you're not wrong, but I don't feel we should be permabound. The cost can be made pricey enough to make it a bitch, or they can restrict the purchase of the change license to once very 90 days IRL, or whatever. It would also add another option to the game being funded by players, as I'm sure it would be used, and that's never a bad thing. Just my opinion though.
  • I support this. At least while we're in Open Beta. 
  • Awesome! I've already switched from fully embraced Fury to BEAST. That was a blow to the ole lesson wallet. 

• Aurelius said:
    Yeah, we'll sort something out here. @Tecton
    Good to hear -- just want to chime in here that I will feel more comfortable buying lessons/credits knowing that I'm not wasting them on a class I might end up not enjoying.
  • @Aurelius @Tecton

This might be a fever dream, but if we've already swapped and taken the 50% loss is there any way if/when you guys let us switch for free to get those lost lessons back? 
  • edited December 2018
    If so, I'm switching right now. Heh. Would be an amazing christmas present :pleased:
  • edited December 2018
    Perhaps too much to ask, but... Would whatever system used, allow for an update of gear as well? Shops, presently, are incredibly overpriced. And droprates kinda suck for gearing up as a new class. Even gear that's like 5-10 levels lower than your current stuff... Alternatively can we have gear cost close to the junk rate, instead of 10x the junk rate?
  • +1 on multiclassing, but also +1 on a long cooldown. 12 RL days or even 30 RL days.

I want the ability to switch classes if RP or player interest dictates, but I do appreciate people being hesitant or unable to switch classes as needed.
  • It is also open beta and class changes are inevitable.  

I fear with everything suggested here that people will just all hop around to whichever class is the strongest in the moment and not provide critical feedback to fix the class that they thought they would enjoy, but for some reason do not.
  • It is also open beta and class changes are inevitable.  

I fear with everything suggested here that people will just all hop around to whichever class is the strongest in the moment and not provide critical feedback to fix the class that they thought they would enjoy, but for some reason do not.
    I agree. I do not understand this push to lower the penalties for class changing. It shouldn't take you more than 850 lessons to get a general feel for how the class plays. As for bugs, all of the classes have them right now and balance is going to constantly shift for all of the classes.

All of the points for opening up class changes, a new player in any IRE game could make ("but I didn't know, and now I regret it") but the same class changing systems remain in place.
  • edited December 2018
    Jinresh said:
    I agree. I do not understand this push to lower the penalties for class changing. It shouldn't take you more than 850 lessons to get a general feel for how the class plays. As for bugs, all of the classes have them right now and balance is going to constantly shift for all of the classes.
    Well it's 850 in ANY skill, which means you can't trans skirmishing (for Victoryrush) or get anything far down in exploration either. As for not being able to get a feel for the class... There's a number of abilities that classes kind of need to function well in combat, that are well past 850 lessons. Can you see how a class fights at a baseline? Sure... Can you see how effective the class will actually be end game? Not even close.
     Even just as a fury, you don't get half of your juggernaut abilities or deepstrike in Rage. In battleflow you don't get hypertension, or... Any of the modifiers really that help lead into a finisher.
     Nanoseer, as well, is locked out of a large number of core abilities that their main strategies use. Won't speak on beast/scoundrel/engineer since I haven't really looked at them. But those two, at least, you can absolutely not see the capabilities of a class with 850 lessons.
    Jinresh said:
    All of the points for opening up class changes, a new player in any IRE game could make ("but I didn't know, and now I regret it") but the same class changing systems remain in place.
    All of the other IRE game have long since been established, and is considerably more informative about choices than Starmourn currently is. There's very little in the way of documentation at the moment. There's also countless people who're knowledgeable on all of the other game's classes, to be able to advise new people. Starmourn doesn't yet have that luxury, either.

eta: The display of the Skirmishing message appears to have been a bugged. Just typed 'class quit' and it still says I'll receive all lessons back despite having trans'd Skirmishing. The rest of the post still holds true.
  • You can always make one free class change to get around  everyone trying to go to every class while they make changes 
  • Free class changes on like a 3 day cooldown until the end of beta seems reasonable to me.
  • I would class change, nanoseer had a decent concept but most of the skills are just bleh
  • Maruna said:
    Won't speak on beast/scoundrel/engineer since I haven't really looked at them. But those two, at least, you can absolutely not see the capabilities of a class with 850 lessons.
    Beast seems like it has a good sense of the general feel in the bottom half of the class. For PVP, though, both instakills are locked at trans, so before embracing class you're just beating on people for damage kills.