Skip to content

Is this acceptable?

https://imgur.com/a/kJjfalW

Surely I wasn't the only one who saw the similarities before and after launch.

I really want to love you, Iron Realms, but sometimes you really make me scratch my head.

Comments

• It's kind of hard to find a game that doesn't copy some concept from another game. Why would it not be acceptable?
  • Pictured: a Shen.
    If you're going to accuse Starmourn of ripping something off, at least say they copied a good* franchise first.
    *ME3 ending and Andromeda don't count
  • Cubey said:
    Pictured: a Shen.
    If you're going to accuse Starmourn of ripping something off, at least say they copied a good* franchise first.
    Andromeda does too count. I will fight you. 
  • edited December 2018
    Cubey said:
    Warhammer... Isn't a good franchise...? But Mass Effect is?
    I want some of what you're smoking. That's like saying megablocks is better than lego.
  • That's ... wow. I didn't notice it because I'm also not familiar with Warhammer, but that's way too similar to be a coincidence.

"They are elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty."
    — Oscar Wilde

"I'll take care of it, Luke said. And because he said it instead of her, I knew he meant kill. That is what you have to do before you kill, I thought. You have to create an it, where none was before."
    — Margaret Atwood

• edited December 2018
    Kestrel said:
    That's ... wow. I didn't notice it because I'm also not familiar with Warhammer, but that's way too similar to be a coincidence.
    Keep in mind the artwork is done by a contracted artist. If it was done by someone who actually works at IRE, it'd probably be wildly different. In my mind Jin aren't anything like Ethereals. Also kithblades are meant to be fiery... Those are definitely not fiery.
  • I'm not mad about it, but I don't have the experience or nerddom that a lot of people probably have about the genre. 

I'd be down for racial emotes and history as we go on though. I feel like I'm playing my Jin very human-like and I'm not sure if that's okay... 
  • Oh good, they even copied the popped collar. 
  • Maruna said:
    Kestrel said:
    That's ... wow. I didn't notice it because I'm also not familiar with Warhammer, but that's way too similar to be a coincidence.
    Keep in mind the artwork is done by a contracted artist. If it was done by someone who actually works at IRE, it'd probably be wildly different. 
    We don't actually have any artists that work for us as we don't need much art, unlike other games companies.  
  • Lol, I thought the Tau were largely mech-related. Don't think I ever saw a picture of one.. Crazy.
  • Aurelius said:
    Maruna said:
    Kestrel said:
    Keep in mind the artwork is done by a contracted artist. If it was done by someone who actually works at IRE, it'd probably be wildly different. 
    We don't actually have any artists that work for us as we don't need much art, unlike other games companies.  
    That's what I said!
  • Cubey said:
    Pictured: a Shen.
    "I don't like this franchise, so obviously nothing was ripped off."
    lol
    Satomi said:
    Lol, I thought the Tau were largely mech-related. Don't think I ever saw a picture of one.. Crazy.
    They do love their battlesuits, but they are quite recognizable without them too.
  • I am quite familiar with the W40k universe, and I can tell you that lore-wise, the Jin have very little in common with the Tau. However, now that you show it, the graphics really do look similar. A word with the artist might be a good idea.
    By-the-way-1: I happen to like W40K and have mad love for ME(minus Andromeda).
    By-the-way-2: WTF does it have to do with the subject?
    Starmourn Launch Countdown:
    https://countingdownto.com/?c=2341194
  • Ha, I posted on their blog the first day the Jin came out about them looking like Tau, hahahaha. Aurelius said he'd ask the concept artist if it was an inspiration, but I never heard anything about that.

But yeah, what Quean said.
  • SM is a commercial product. Company would never jeopardize its franchise over an art. It’s an omission on artists part. Let them sort it out. Plagiarism is never tolerated and could be a cause for a lawsuit. Do you honestly believe IRE would intentionally mess up a 3+ years of development over a picture. 
  • StarFiry said:
    SM is a commercial product. Company would never jeopardize its franchise over an art. It’s an omission on artists part. Let them sort it out. Plagiarism is never tolerated and could be a cause for a lawsuit. Do you honestly believe IRE would intentionally mess up a 3+ years of development over a picture. 
    Not necessarily, but on the off chance that someone was familiar with 40K and noticed those similarities in art, it might be reasonable to be concerned.
  • edited December 2018
    Maruna said:
    Kestrel said:
    Keep in mind the artwork is done by a contracted artist. If it was done by someone who actually works at IRE, it'd probably be wildly different. In my mind Jin aren't anything like Ethereals. Also kithblades are meant to be fiery... Those are definitely not fiery.
    I'm not trying to accuse anyone or point fingers. I don't know what goes on behind the scenes at IRE except that I like to imagine it involves a secret handshake and lots of bro hugs.

I'm saying it doesn't look like a coincidence. I know nothing about the Warhammer lore so all I'm going by is those two pictures side by side, and must concur with @Giedi that the similarities are uncanny, to say the least. Why this is so is not for me to say. I can only agree that it is so.

EDIT: Art aside, I like the Jin lore. Off-topic. I'm making no comment on Jin as a concept, only on the visual similarities. I don't like plagiarism, so intentional or otherwise, I hope the matter is cordially resolved and we can go back to loving Jin without any of the unseemly business attached.

— Oscar Wilde

"I'll take care of it, Luke said. And because he said it instead of her, I knew he meant kill. That is what you have to do before you kill, I thought. You have to create an it, where none was before."
    — Margaret Atwood

• I mean, I enjoy all of the references so long as IRE doesn't get into trouble.
  • Nanoseers does have a bit of reference to Destiny 2, particularly the Void bomb art and having The Traveler as their abilities. But you know, art gets ripped off all the time. Even the best game companies have arts that are based on other arts from somewhere else.  
  • What about humans?! >:( now Starmourn is just like every other game ever, there was really no need to copy humans from other games 

/s
  • Hi.

It's been a while and I'm just commenting on this thread again to say that I personally would really love to see Jin receive an artistic redesign.

— Oscar Wilde

— Margaret Atwood

• @Kestrel Slander's description is based on what's written on the wiki and ignotes the visual art for that reason. Specifically the 'no nose' thing - they definitely don't have external ears but a lack of nose is never mentioned.
    I'm gone.
  • edited September 2019
    HELP DESCRIPTION 

Design your very own Jin the way you like.

A possible practice for the game would be that all the lore-appropriate features should be apparent on the preset stuff, like horns. Similarly lack of nose, ears or the cavity shape can be added to those variables. That way possibly everyone will be on the safe side when pushing the custom description. When the look says oval or round or elliptical sound cavities on the defining feature list, I doubt anyone will insist for ears on the custom description. Unless they have a RP revolving around implants that make them look more human...which is fair I suppose.