• What do you mean?

I recorded a segment of about 15 minutes of faction chat,

(Scatterhome): Nykara says, "Which world?"
    (Scatterhome): Jalyan says, "Alright guys, I killed a whole 1 guy."
    (Scatterhome): Aurora says, "Unclear, the record are very old."
    (Scatterhome): Jalyan says, "Just need to level up once."
    (Scatterhome): Nykara says, "Did someone else show up."
    (Scatterhome): Shrik says, "Best air is Frixion air, yaya. No contestses."
    (Scatterhome): Casimar says, "Also increasing your awareness of the numerous terminals around the various planets and stations will help."
    (Scatterhome): Casimar says, "Make sure you Probe terminals before attempting a hack. Failed hacks grant no experience, so make sure it is within 1 or 2 levels of your hacking skill."
    (Scatterhome): Casimar says, "Obviously lower is fine!"
    (Scatterhome): Spiff says, "I sorta agree with you there, Shrik. Also some of the best leesa comes from your world, too."
    (Scatterhome): Morin says, "Will do."
    (Scatterhome): Shrik says, "Leesa is a very legitimate businesses, yaya."
    (Scatterhome): Shrik says, "Is makes sense that Nusriza leesa would be best leesa."
    (Scatterhome): Morin says, "Hmm i should take notes and maybe submit a faction file for it..."
    (Scatterhome): Ronin says, "Northeast from ca-2840."
    (Scatterhome): Spiff says, "I was gonna make a joke about birds and worms, but I don't want to offend."
    (Scatterhome): Ronin says, "Song Nyk."
    (Scatterhome): Ronin says, "Oof."
    (Scatterhome): Ronin says, "If anyone gets bored and is heading that way, my ship's stuck on cosmpiercer ca-2840. I'm gonna need a ride to get it back."
    (Scatterhome): Ganymede says, "Is it anywhere on the way to D'haren VI?"
    (Scatterhome): Ronin says, "Which system is that in? Wunko-something isn't it?"
    (Scatterhome): Ganymede says, "Wuntoklan? yeah."
    (Scatterhome): Ronin says, "It's close, Gany. a bit south of it."
    (Scatterhome): Ganymede says, "Well, I'm willing to offer my ship, no guarntees of survival cause I'm still fairly fresh to piloting."
    (Scatterhome): Tekcor says, "At least they're honest."
    (Scatterhome): Ronin says, "Haha alright. I'm at Reynolds now but can meet you wherever."
    (Scatterhome): Ganymede says, "Let me just set permission for you to board."
    (Scatterhome): Nykara says, "Oh."
    (Scatterhome): Nykara says, "Ronin I'll pick you up on the way past."
    (Scatterhome): Ganymede says, "Nyk, mind if I come as well to see a Cosmpiercer?"
    (Scatterhome): Nykara says, "I do not mind."
    (Scatterhome): Nykara says, "Where am I picking you up, Ronin?"
    (Scatterhome): Rydan says, "Think there'll be any fighting?"
    (Scatterhome): Ronin says, "Reynolds is where we're at."
    (Scatterhome): Ronin says, "Nah, just ship retrieval. The ones that were there were chased off by Kareli and Nyk."
    (Scatterhome): Kareli says, "Nearly, so nearly took her out."
    (Scatterhome): Kareli says, "I need to upgrade my ship weapons."
    (Scatterhome): Nykara says, "I was just aiming to pick up a scraggler whose shields were down."
    (Scatterhome): Nykara says, "Like some sort of carrion bird."
    (Scatterhome): Kareli says, "Anyone up to retake that Cosmpiercer we just lost? It is a rank 3 station."
    (Scatterhome): Rydan says, "Yeah I'd be up for it."
    (Scatterhome): Sadey says, "We took a rank 7 the other day."
    (Scatterhome): Ronin says, "And it was glorious."
    (Scatterhome): Ronin says, "Do we have some peeps that can make wormholes?"
    (Scatterhome): Razzy says, "I can head back to Reynolds, sure."
    (Scatterhome): Ronin says, "I think it requires two, no?"
    (Scatterhome): Razzy says, "It does."
    (Scatterhome): Kareli says, "Ill head back to Reynolds to pick some people up and restock my cannons."
    (Scatterhome): Chronoxi says, "I'll had back to Reynolds. I'll help with the cosmpiercer."

Is there a single curse or insult? I'm gonna continue logging and turn timestamps on, and then in about a day select an hour to grab the faction chat for, and post it. This is a really overblown issue. Those that curse do so pretty much only during arguments.

Please, grow up, and grow out of your need for a safe space where no one uses naughty words.
    Dyslexic(Symbolic Dyslexia and Subtracting-Substitution Dyslexia according to a doctor I had at one point.) and have lost my glasses and lack the ability to pay for a new set.
    Thank you for understanding.
  • Or, you know, grow up and realize that it's not all about oneself and the childish need to have it one's way.
    The idea of a filter has no direct impact on chosen vocabulary. Everyone will still be able to toss together nonsensical strings of expletives to their heart's content. Although, I could see how it might hurt precious, fragile feelings to be censored on a personal level, but the users of profanity bring it upon themselves. It's just as much the right of anyone to ignore certain words as it is for others to say them, IMO. What business is it of anyone's, anyway, whether or not someone wants a "safe space"? Does that bother them? Do they need all the safe spaces taken away - is that their form of a safe space, the lack of safe spaces? Sorry, life doesn't work that way. Can't have all the cake and eat it too. The party isn't for them, after all. It's for everyone.

Personally, I enjoy making my own filters for troublemakers and offensive text. For example:
    <channel> Char1 is at it again.
    <channel> Char2 has something asinine to say.
    <channel> Char3 has no desire to be taken seriously.
    I don't bother bleeping the words themselves. I replace or remove the entire line. It's easier.

• zacc said:
    Or, you know, grow up and realize that it's not all about oneself and the childish need to have it one's way.
    The idea of a filter has no direct impact on chosen vocabulary. Everyone will still be able to toss together nonsensical strings of expletives to their heart's content. Although, I could see how it might hurt precious, fragile feelings to be censored on a personal level, but the users of profanity bring it upon themselves. It's just as much the right of anyone to ignore certain words as it is for others to say them, IMO. What business is it of anyone's, anyway, whether or not someone wants a "safe space"? Does that bother them? Do they need all the safe spaces taken away - is that their form of a safe space, the lack of safe spaces? Sorry, life doesn't work that way. Can't have all the cake and eat it too. The party isn't for them, after all. It's for everyone.

Personally, I enjoy making my own filters for troublemakers and offensive text. For example:
    <channel> Char1 is at it again.
    <channel> Char2 has something asinine to say.
    <channel> Char3 has no desire to be taken seriously.
    I don't bother bleeping the words themselves. I replace or remove the entire line. It's easier.

And again, as I said and I will prove over the next day, this faction fact being crude or rude is massively overblown. Yes curse words do get thrown around.

But that's to the theme of the faction. We are rough and tumble. We are a group of people who are supposed to be the fringers, criminals, etc. Is it not to theme that we'd curse?

Beyond that point, there's also the fact that you might miss an important event in FT if you are filtering like you do. And it's against the theme of the faction. If you do ignore whole people, this faction likely isn't for you. Go to Celestine, or Song I guess.
    Dyslexic(Symbolic Dyslexia and Subtracting-Substitution Dyslexia according to a doctor I had at one point.) and have lost my glasses and lack the ability to pay for a new set.
  • edited December 2018
    Depends on your take of "rough and tumble" and "fringers, criminals, etc.". None of those terms necessarily require the liberal use of profanity. That would be a stereotype and cliche.

Again, not necessarily. My take is that Scatterhome is a loose knit band of people. A melting pot of sorts. Some don't fit into structured society, some do but wish their individual freedom, some just want a place to do whatever the they please without being nagged, etc.. From what I've read in the documentation, I have the impression that members of Scatterhome usually band together when there are important or dire situations. Otherwise, it's a policy of you don't step on my feet and I'm not going to step on yours; you mind your own business and I'll mind mine.

Here's a snippet of FT history that I just grabbed:
    -- History for the Scatterhome channel ----------------------------------------
    2018/12/21 18:16:53 Kaedok: Thanks.
    2018/12/21 18:17:27 Olyvar: Where do you sell instead of scrap?
    2018/12/21 18:17:34 Scorpia: Hey, y'all.
    2018/12/21 18:17:43 Ronin: Hey Scorp.
    2018/12/21 18:19:22 Coyote: Hey assholes.
    2018/12/21 18:19:44 Spiff: I think of myself more of an asshat than an asshole.
    2018/12/21 18:20:02 Razzy: Sure you're not an assclown instead?
    2018/12/21 18:20:18 Arlixa: I was thinking assbandit.
    2018/12/21 18:20:34 Shrik: Is always about the skrekholes and whoreses with this place.
    2018/12/21 18:20:37 Coyote: A pillager of asses?
    2018/12/21 18:21:07 Aisei: Some of us like having our asses pillaged on occasion.
    2018/12/21 18:21:27 Shrik: Shrik does not judge.
    2018/12/21 18:21:33 Shrik: He might for markses, tho.
    2018/12/21 18:23:25 Pumkin: Morning, Home.
    2018/12/21 18:23:34 Ganymede: HOWDY!
    2018/12/21 18:23:39 Khaya: I should check myself for holes from time to time. Sometimes squirrels
    get in and then its a mess and you have to fill the hole and it's just a whole ordeal.
    2018/12/21 18:23:46 Ronin: Mineable asteroid at ca-2240 198, 163 if anyone wants it.
    2018/12/21 18:23:49 Nykara: PUMKIN.
    2018/12/21 18:24:05 Coyote: You gotta grease those squirrels up, that way they can get back out of
    your holes.
    2018/12/21 18:24:49 Ronin: Hey Pumkin.

Not the worse I've seen, but there are definitely a few littered in there.

• I agree that it's an overblown issue, but let people have their filter. I'd rather be censored by one person than lose that person from this wonderful little game. There will always be people on both sides, so options are always good for everyone.

What I DO have a problem with is completely entire sentences or people just because there was one "bad word". Swearing is only childish if overused or done carelessly. Grouping people together is a good way to dehumanize them really quick, and lose friends. I'm literally an US Sailor, so if you're tuning me out every time you hear a swear, you're missing a lot of what I'm saying. I'm sure other people feel the same.

Let people have their Radio "bleeps", but don't do what the media does and only show "safe", aka boring, content.
  • I feel like the swearing on Scat FT has toned down a lot in the past day or two. 
    Eukelade gives you a peck on the cheek.
  • Yes because a span of 4 minutes is indicative of the larger faction conversation.

Cursing starts at 19 minutes past 1800, and ends at seven seconds past twenty one. The conversation about greasing up a squirrel may be lewd but a text filter won't grab that. At least not without a moderator constantly watching it.

Anyway, you're thinking about the Unfactioned. If you want to unaffiliated but an ally to scatterhome, please by all means, do talk to a marshal about getting ally status set.

If you're in Scatterhome, you should explicitly want to uplift Scatterhome and care for the safety and views of it's people, Scatterhome is a faction, it does have rules and processes, and they are meant to be followed, despite what some are trying to make claims of it being. And it's trying to form a new sort of government. If you care enough to be involved at the level of joining and affiliating on a level where you'd communicate often, or view communications from it's members. You are probably wanting to be actively involved in that conversation. Speaking as a character. Or you are seeking the protection of being affiliated with what is essentially an organized and unruly mob of criminals and malcontents on the edges of civilized space. In which case, you join the faction, ftoff, ignore the faction news, and just get on with your life as a character until it starts impacting you on a personal level in character.

Like with what's going on with Song. Diplomatically it should impact a lot of people, on an emotional level, that a marshal who volunteered, took power into his own hands to negotiate a peace with them. Without consulting any more than a cabal of the defenders. That's fucked from the concept of, that kind of selfish acting and quick thinking is what got thousands gassed In-universe. This should be what's affecting things. Not that your clique defended it. so the action was right from the context. Or that it would be too slow otherwise. Or even that Song would stomp us. No.. Again fast acting, got an asteroid station irradiated, and thousands killed. Scatterhome is better without that kind of fast action without full consensus.

That's my last full paragraph I'm writing today.
  • edited December 2018
    Filter with an on/off benefits those who want it and has no bearing on those who don't. Why is this an argument?

@Tecton  Will it also work on "news" posts?
  • This is the OOC bullshit I'm talking about:

(Scatterhome) Diana has left the faction.
    (Scatterhome): Huey says, "F."
    (Scatterhome): Kaz says, "F."

• edited December 2018
    Anyone saying people who are " rough" don't talk like this have never worked in a Kitchen, construction site, welding shop or any other trade skill. It's a sterotype for a reason we all talk like that. Every cook I ha e ever had curses ever other word and I say fuck in almost every sentence in real life. And I really don't give a damn if people like it or not you have no right to tell me what vocabulary to use or that it's childish you don't pay my bills.

I would remind everyone also that this is not a family game. Adults like to cuss have sex and fight 
  • I agree the OOC bullshit needs to stop. That's fucking insulting.

And it bothers me because of this @bairloch

Say you have a hypothetical posting. from a very profligate poster.

"So they ****, that's it, ****** and now the ***** is getting money from my ******* wallet, is that **** right."

"Yeah they ******** but we gave them the position so they can do what they want with it right?"

"NO *******! Volunteers shouldn't give handouts for ********, that's misuse of power, I call that we toss the *****, ******* and *******"

What happened here. Can you make out the very real and complicated mess that is going on through the censoring?

See where the conversation breaks down, and context flies out the window. You can see they are irate, but half the intended message is gone. And it becomes a matter of having to explain to the chum who had the filter on, exactly whats occuring in an OOC fashion. And as we just went over in faction comms, there are ways ICly of handling stuff you don't like in Scatterhome more than any other faction. If you don't like the frequent cursing or OOC talk, vote to oust the people doing it. And then talk to a martial to enemy them so they can't come back.
  • bairloch said:
    Filter with an on/off benefits those who want it and has no bearing on those who don't. Why is this an argument?

@Tecton  Will it also work on "news" posts?
    That's the plan, yes.
  • Will it be straight bleeping, or will it be substituting? 
  • Anyone saying people who are " rough" don't talk like this have never worked in a Kitchen, construction site, welding shop or any other trade skill. It's a sterotype for a reason we all talk like that. Every cook I ha e ever had curses ever other word and I say fuck in almost every sentence in real life. And I really don't give a damn if people like it or not you have no right to tell me what vocabulary to use or that it's childish you don't pay my bills.

I would remind everyone also that this is not a family game. Adults like to cuss have sex and fight 
    I understand that every cook wants to be Gordon Ramsay. Got it. That's RL. You're playing a fictional game. No one, especially not myself, is arguing that your character shouldn't or can't use that language in the game. We're only asking for an option to filter it. If that's triggering people, then I'd have to suggest that it doesn't impact your play in any significant way, just as much as it doesn't impact your play when people have combat messages or death alert filters on. No one is taking away your all-important profanity from you.

By the way, since you brought up personal RL experience, I know plenty of "rough" and crude individuals. Some use fluent profanity, some less often, and some only when they know it's ok with everyone present. Personally, I only use profanity when I know for a fact those around me aren't going to be bothered by it. I'm not criticising anyone for their choice of language, but everyone has a reason for using it and not using it. Just because an individual may be "rough" doesn't mean they're going to have a potty mouth, and if you're using profanity usage as a way to measure how "rough" an individual is... Well... I'm going to have to agree to disagree with that.
  • If it's substituting I recommend crazy words. Fuck for flatulate, damn for drizzle, etc.
    Eukelade gives you a peck on the cheek.
  • Or there could be some cool mixed language from all the different races, that have just become vernacular at this point (similar to how cojones and fungool have worked their way into English).
  • edited December 2018
    I love that people instantly say cooks are trying to be Gordon Ramsey. Gordon Ramsey talks like he does because that's how kitchens talk .You just proved my point that you have no idea how a huge chunk of the population speaks on a day to day basis. THAT is why this is a big deal, it's not just a profanity filter. It's adults, playing a game that is for adults with adult themes wanting to make the game a safe space that suits them and not the theme of the game. Sorry prisoners are.going to be a rude, disgusting violent bunch and that's now what all humans are decended from. So if you AREN'T being vulgar and cussing a lot you aren't playing human right.
  • edited December 2018
    To go on the cooking theme - salt and spices are important for dishes, as is language for storytelling and character expression. Some things will have more, others will have less. Everyone additionally has their own preferred palate. If you want your own, let others have theirs. A filter resolves that. Not everyone wants to eat bland food, and not everyone wants to eat something that's been salt-cured. 

No need to get so angsty on each other. This is not a hill you need to plant your flag and die on. 
  • edited December 2018
    What's with all these buzz words being used, lol. Swearing certainly has its place, but as Tecton said there's people who're pretty openly abusing swearing being allowed compared to other IRE games.
    Saying someone "isn't playing <x> right" because they don't want to conform to your preconceived idea about how something "should be played" is plain idiotic, and just makes you look like a tool. As a player I'm not all that interested in fighting as much as a lot of people are, does that make me a bad person for choosing Jin as Maruna's race? Or Song as her home? I don't think so... Just like someone choosing to not have a cuss word in every single one of their sentences, doesn't mean they're "not playing human right"
    It's weird how people jump on someone for not liking something, when a mechanic is being put in place to try and curb that something... A bit ironic, isn't it?
  • @RheaGhek But that's my own fault then. I'm the one that turned the filter on. Caveat emptor.
  • Please take a cue from Aetolia and convert all swear words to "unicorns".
  • Image result for popcorn gif

This thread simultaneously wins the first prizes for being the most utterly ridiculous debate I've seen on IRE forums, and the most entertaining. Carry on.
  • edited December 2018
    People aren't seeing the issue here. It's that someone decided they want the push a narrative that cussing is bad and childish and got the admin to react to pressure to make the game more family friendly. 

I don't play IRES to cater to people wanting a family game. I play them for the rolelplay and conflict that are adult themes. It is disappointing to see this starting in IREs because it says they are willing to bend for politcal correctness and that will ruin this game before it starts. 

This is a conflict driven game, if you can't handle conflict that you have limited control over play a 1 player game. The profanity filter is the first step to no player on player conflict at all. Next is pvp only zones then no pvp only on events 
  • I don't think I've seen anyone say that cursing is outright childish and bad. There's been an issue of overkill, that sparked an equally as strong reaction. Then there's regional variations as to what kind of cursing is typical/common day versus something out of place (we aren't all Australians). 

So a compromise was requested, in the form of a voluntary filter. 

And instead of accepting that this is a shared space and that we should both be equally making room for each other, you're arguing "my way or the highway" on something that does not impact you at all. 
  •  It's that someone decided they want the push a narrative that cussing is bad and childish and got the admin to react to pressure to make the game more family friendly.
    Tecton said:
    Yes, it will be configurable on/off. A lot of people don't want to feel like they're surrounded by a bunch of 10 year old who don't have adult supervision :awesome:
    I feel like you missed this part.
    a) It's optional and is only filtered for the person who has it toggled. AKA it literally doesn't affect you at all.
    b) Nobody pushed any narrative. The producer had the very same mindset.

I said it already. It's kinda... Strange to get angry over someone not liking something that you like... Considering that's, in turn, stating your not liking of something. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• There are  4 posts on the front page calling peoplep childish for cursing. One of which is from the Dev of this game which is completely inappropriate as he is the face of IRE and shouldn't be posting his personal opinion on the games forum, only the companies official stance.
  • For the volume of cursing. 

And it is the Dev's game. In the end, they have a stake in what kind of community they want to foster, as we're the ones they have to deal with when it comes to balancing and events. 
This discussion has been closed.