Skip to content

Balancing weapon & armor economics

Currently, it takes several hours of grinding to afford a single piece of armor or a weapon appropriate to your level from NPC vendors. Considering a player needs 7+1 pieces of gear to gear up, it's not practical to afford low level armor sold from NPC vendors until you've leveled far past its usefulness.

I think NPC vendors selling armor and weapons need a balance pass to better match the amount of marks a player is able to generate at their respective levels.

Comments

• The thing is, you are not supposed to be getting your gear from vendors. You are supposed to get it from drops. The vendors are there to fill a slot if you get unlucky in what drops for you, and I suppose if you switch class. 

Further they have have said on the forums here somewhere that further balancing re:marks is something for them to look at now that they are getting more data to work with since they have more players.
  • kay said:
    You are supposed to get it from drops. 

I've been doing that, but I've also had to tell a few friends to pretend they don't exist. Even for filling in a single slot, they're so expensive.

kay said:
    Further they have have said on the forums here somewhere that further balancing re:marks is something for them to look at now that they are getting more data to work with since they have more players.
    Yep yep. Just wanted to draw attention to this in particular...
  • In general I think we could use a significant increase in the drop rates. This is particularly true for beasts who need to get 6 different weapons on top of the 7 pieces of armor and with drops coming at 1 or 2 per level it just isn't enough to keep up.

Another problem I am facing right now is that I am bashing in areas that are much higher than my level because the areas at my level give very little experience. This leads to many drops that are too high level to use. I don't think people should necessarily be punished for attempting to bash in higher level areas.
  • BeepBoop said:
    Another problem I am facing right now is that I am bashing in areas that are much higher than my level because the areas at my level give very little experience. This leads to many drops that are too high level to use. I don't think people should necessarily be punished for attempting to bash in higher level areas.
    ...sheesh. I don't disagree but I wish I had that problem, I have trouble at the lower end of an area's recommended level...
  • Gearing up for armor is unnecessary on low levels. It doesn't matter if you absorb a total of 10 or 12% of damage taken - the difference is small enough to be meaningless. If you find armor upgrade feel free to equip them but don't waste money buying them.
    Weapon is another thing altogether.
  • edited December 2018
    Also, not entirely unrelated to the topic, it's really shitty when buying equipment if you confuse one type for another since the names are identical aside from one letter. Yes, they're broken into categories, but after flipping back and forth trying to figure out 1) what my class needs, 2) what level the ones for sale actually are [yes, I did figure out that it's right in the shortdesc for those particular pieces at least!], and 3) what I already had thanks to mob drops.....I still managed to buy two heavy pieces instead of mediums.

Also, you only get 10% of an item's NPC shop value when scrapping it. Needless to say I'm pretty pissed.

And broke. Again. It was a nice ten minutes of financial liberty, at least.